“Not a disappointment” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Louisville, TN
“Not a disappointment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Because Daytona Beach is a big Spring Break destination, the hotels and resorts in this area really take a beating. We never expect much. We were not disappointed in the Grand Seas Resort, however. We had a 2-bedroom oceanfront condo. It was smaller than the pictures portrayed, and it would have been nice to have a king bed in the 2nd bedroom instead of a queen, but the accommodations were nice and the beds were very comfortable. We did have to mop the tile floors the morning after we arrived - we discovered the bottoms of our feet were black from walking barefoot on it all morning. The floors appeared to be clean so they had been swept, but apparently not mopped. The ice maker in the refrigerator didn't work, but we just got ice from the 2nd floor ice machine. There is no air supply vent in the guest bathroom so it gets pretty hot in there if the door is closed. And the kitchen supplies (dishes, etc.) are pretty sparce. But we saw NO roaches and we felt like everything was mostly clean, so we were quite comfortable. As to the resort amenities, the pool area is FABULOUS! If you want to hear music or you have children, stay at the South side pool area. If you want quiet and don't have children, the North side pool is perfect. The water temperature in the 2 poolside hot tubs is way too hot so we couldn't utilize them. The small putt-putt golf course at the end of the North pool is fun. The resort has workers on site at all times and they keep the exterior looking clean and wonderful. They did have some really loud work going on around the windows on the pool side of the resort (men on scaffolds doing drilling and creating a cloud of sheetrock dust) for several days, but I guess there is no good time for that kind of work. One thing I would suggest is that they lower the sound on the live music every afternoon/evening. We had to turn the television sound up really loud one evening in order to hear the movie we were watching - and we were on the 5th floor. I would have hated to have been on one of the lower floors. And pool security needs to be upgraded a bit. Although signs are posted everywhere that you have to wear the required wrist bands in the pool area, at least 50% would not. And one day it was obvious that a group of people that came in were not even guests of the resort. People also come in off of the beach who are not guests and use the pool facilities. They do have a security guard who walks around the pool area but we only saw him on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The rest of the week there is no guard and evidently the local people are aware of it and take advantage. All in all, we had a great time and we would definitely come back to the Grand Seas.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Kissimmee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We traded our Marriott timeshare unit through Interval International for a week in this resort because it was rated by Interval as a five-star resort. We feel that Interval misled us and that we have been cheated. THIS IS NOT A FIVE-STAR RESORT. The furniture was cheap and soiled, the mattress hard, the sheets and towels worn and scratchy, the bathtub dingy, the toilet miniature, the kitchen appliances outdated and raggety (not one level burner out of four), the kitchen cabinets would not stay closed, no balcony, the hallway dingy, no major network TV, no DVD or equivalent, and, (at the risk of appearing snobby) the appearance of some of the other vacationers at this resort made us queasy imagining the former occupants of the unit we were occupying. The beach is gorgeous, but the resort itself is very disappointing, and we would have been motified if we had invited another couple to join us on our vacation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed here for spring break. I'll list the pro's and con's.

Pro's:
- staff keeps pools and other amenities clean
- plenty of things for young kids to do (mini golf, play area, activities)
- decent fitness center for a resort (the equipment was functional if not outdated)
- Publix right across the street

Con's:
- towels felt like 10 grit sandpaper, not good for a sunburn but not unlike free towels provided by other chains.
- This is NOT the upscale end of the beach - we were about the only patrons that didn't smoke, didn't have tatoos and piercings. The "nice" end is the south end (south of the boardwalk).
- While the resort has a policy regarding the "reserving of pool chairs" - unless you get up at 6:30 AM and place towels on the pool deck chairs you want, good luck finding a decent chair by 10:00 AM. Resort staff refused to do anything about it - told us to move towels ourselves if nobody was using the chairs. I guess you can expect that kind of behavior from the type of patrons staying at the resort (see above description).
- tile floors in room will turn your feet black if you walk barefoot - take slippers for use in the rooms.
- Rooms were outdated, cheap furniture, inadequately appointed kitchens - be prepared to bring / purchase extra cooking equipment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Winter Park, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

It has been almost a year since our trip and I have not quite recovered from my disappointment. I am somewhat local to the area so I had an idea of the property which has a nice layout and convenient location across the street from a Starbucks and Publix. I wasn't prepared for the roaches (small brown ones) every day...in the kitchen. The pool was unbelievably grimy. I understand everyone is wearing sunscreen, etc. but how do other properties do it? We've done quite a bit of traveling. The rooms have a decent layout but with no balcony, we were stuck inside while our son was sleeping. We were bored to tears and could barely use the kitchen without stumbling upon roach feces. Restaurants were decent and the activities planned were fun. Nice playground and putt putt course. Another frustrating thing happened - the lawn service came in the middle of the day and one of the workers actually asked me to get up from where I was laying in a chair and move the chair along with all my belongings next to it so he could get to the small patch of grass behind me. I thought he was joking, but he waited with the hand-held gas-emitting weed whacker while I moved everything. Oh one more thing - all day and night you would hear people dragging their chairs against the tile floor. By the end of the trip (we left a day early), it reminded us of nails on a chalkboard. Little rubber or felt buttons would resolve this - we didn't complain about it but I can't imagine someone else hasn't.

The best part of the trip was taking a ride to Ponce Inlet and touring the sweet Lighthouse attraction - then walking along the boardwalk (which requires a nominal fee to enter.) Also, discovering Noah's Market in Ormond Beach was a huge plus.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
daytona beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

There is not negative thing that I could say about my stay at the Grand Seas Resort. In fact my vacation with my three best friends will always be a vacation to remember thanks to the Grand Seas Resort and their wonderful employees. I stayed in an ocean front two bedroom and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. We had a beautiful full kitchen in our unit, a flat screen TV in the living room, a Jacuzzi in the master bedroom and the room exceptionally clean from floor to ceiling. We did have a problem with our stove and after calling the front desk to inform them of the situation, the maintenance department was very prompt in reporting to the unit and fixing it. We loved the pool deck, and they had something for all ages, although we did not take advantage of this, they had activities for the kids. We did have a great work out in the fitness center every morning during our stay and would highly recommend this property to anyone that wants to have a truly wonderful vacation while staying in Daytona Beach.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
phoneix city, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I can’t believe some of the comments on this website. Some of these people must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to have a horrendous vacation experience. My vacation at the resort was nothing but pleasant from check-in to checkout. The front desk (conveyor) and reservations staff (action team) were especially accommodating as I was interested in a ground floor unit to have firsthand access to the pool deck and beach. My request was granted without hesitation as my visit was during the mild season, right before race and bike week festivities. My room’s soft décor palette was very inviting. My only recommendation to the resort at this juncture is to consider acquiring adjacent property to increase parking availability.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
sungurl22
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

My husband and I bought a week at the Grand Seas 5 years ago and we absolutely love it there. The reviews on here are incorrect. Over the years the management of the resort has been adding upgrades to the units which have made them more accommodating to their guests. Each time we have stayed we have always had a clean unit and a very pleasant vacation. The front desk staff has always been very friendly and willing to help out with our every need. The only issue we have ever had is the parking situation, but there are spots on the road that you can park if needed. I called yesterday to book my vacation for the summer and the reservation agent advised me the units have been updated with new flat screen TV’s, new pictures, and some of the kitchens have been remodeled. The lady also told me that they were updating the furniture in a few months as well. If you are thinking about booking at this resort, you definitely should, it is a great place for families, and they have the best pool deck on the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grand Seas Resort? Share your experiences!