“Better than Expected!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Martin, ky
“Better than Expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were here the first week of April as a chaperone for my school's senior trip. While the rooms were nicer and cleaner than expected, I found the front desk staff lacking. We needed five rooms for all of our kids and chaperones, which is not a whole lot. Even though the rooms were booked in advance as one group and one trip, when we arrived to pay they insisted we had pay for each room separately and as a separate transaction. Also, they told us we had to be split up and the rooms could not be put together. If you've ever chaperoned a group of teenagers, you know this is not a good idea. Though they told us when we booked we'd be accommodated, I felt we were not upon arrival. I give the place four stars for the cleanliness and rooms itself, but the front desk staff receives a zero.

Room Tip: The one king bed rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Kannapolis, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were hesitant about going back to Daytona Beach because a few years ago when we were there we did not have a good experience with the prior resort or the beach. This time was completely different.
Check in was quick and easy. Woman at front desk was very nice. Loved our room and the view from the balcony overlooking the beach and the outdoor pool. We never used the outdoor pool but we did use the indoor. The kids absolutely loved it, couldn't get enough. The temperature was perfect.
The only thing that would have made our stay better was more place settings in the kitchen. There were only two bowls and we are a family of four.
But other than that our stay was perfect and we won't hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Santa Clarita
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked several hotels for our vacation and one might with tropical winds oceanfront hotel through hotels.com. Because we had a slight change of itineary we had to cancel one night 15 days in advance of our expected stay. They have a one day 'No Refund' policy which we were not aware of.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lapeer, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. When my girlfriend booked this hotel I was a little skeptical because the rates were so reasonable but, the pictures looked like it was clean and in a good location. When we got there I could not have been more pleased. The place was clean and airy. The rooms were bright and very clean with everything you need. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Especially Ms. Gwen. She answered all our questions and got us checked in right away. We even got an upgrade to the penthouse at a very reasonable price. I was worried that it might get a little noisy since it was Easter week but everyone was quiet and relaxed. Ms Gwen runs a tight ship! If I'm ever in Daytona again this is where I will stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
orlando fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

this hotel has become our favorite "getaway place" on the worlds most famous beach.Outstanding staff and service,and consistently clean and updated rooms, all with great views.Nice quiet part of the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have been making an annual trip to Daytona for the last 6 years, this is the hotel I stay at every time. Prices are reasonable, off the boardwalk a little ways, cuts down on traffic and noise. Clean, friendly, and priced reasonably. Not alot of frills, but I know each stay will be relaxing. There is a decent restaurant which is priced cheaper than the almost every other place.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay on upper floors, ocean front, with a room that has a kitchen.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Tropical Winds three times and all of my experiences have been very positive. The rooms are attractive containing a microwave and small fridge. The place is very clean and I have found the front desk attendents to be very nice and helpful. I have stayed in three different floors, and rooms and all were comfortable.
The pool and pool area is clean with beach access. It is a quiet atmosphere which is what I enjoy. I have seen several Spring Break college kids enjoying themselves but no rowdy parties.
THey have plenty of chairs and loungers to enjoy the sun and beach with.
Downstairs is a little cafe open from 7 to 2 serving breakfast and lunch. I have eaten both meals there and have no complaints. The hotel offers free wi-fi, towels for the pool. They also have an indoor pool that is kept clean.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. In all the hotels I have stayed in around the area while visiting, the tropical winds delivers quality every visit.

Room Tip: Ocean front is a must!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends