“We had a very nice time in the unit we rented” 4 of 5 stars

Tropical Suites Daytona Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3647 South Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #66 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“We had a very nice time in the unit we rented”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I want to start by saying we were looking for an affordable week-long rental in the Daytona area. As someone else said, there are about 900,000 units to rent in the area, so finding one that's nice, but affordable can be a daunting challenge. We happened to find one.

Also, know that each unit is individually owned, so the condition of each individual unit will vary. We rented unit 402. A quick rundown: the A/C worked fine. The entire unit was tiled, so there was no carpet to worry about. The furnishings were nothing special, but they were all functional and nothing was broken or worn out. The kitchen appliances were functional and modern. The bathrooms were both fine. The decor was fine, if nothing special. So, as far as this specific unit, I have no complaints (except perhaps I would have appreciated a ceiling fan in the master bedroom, but that's just me being finicky). There were three TVs with cable, two CRTs (in the bedrooms) and one HDTV in the living room.

Is this a luxury building? No. Is it a luxury price? Again, no. This was an affordable, but clean condo.

So, what about the building and grounds? First, the pool/hot tub/deck area was very nice. We had a unit overlooking the pool area and beach, so we saw the maintenance man meticulously cleaning and rearranging the deck area every morning. The whole area was clean and inviting. We visited for Memorial day weekend and the whole following week in 2012. They had just repaved the parking lot, and worked on the staircase to the beach, but, that was completed before we left, so no issues there. We had NO problems with parking.

Although some people had issues with elevators, when we were there, both elevators were working just fine for the entire week. The staff that we interacted with were friendly and accommodating.

The building is a little older, but it's been maintained fairly well. Again, it's not luxury by any means, but the price more than makes up for it. There are coin laundry facilities on site. I wish they had a recycling program at the building, but they don't (although you can drop your recycling into bins on the beach if you like).

As far as bugs, as others mentioned, we had no problems. We had no issues with fleas or roaches. We did have a few flies and other small flying insects, but that's just because this unit had no screens and we had left the sliding doors wide open to take advantage of the breezes.

All in all, my family of four had a terrific vacation at Sunglow. As I mentioned, with each unit being individually owned, I can't really speak to the other units, but if you're looking for a nice unit at a great price, I would recommend unit 402.

Room Tip: We rented unit 402. Each unit is apparently individually owned, so the quality will vary depending...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbus, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Wonderful views of the beach. Unfortunately the condo was very very dirty. Found dirty dishes and towels in the cabinets, pull out bed HAD NO MATTRESS, every door in the place would not close or lock, no window curtains, blinds, shades on the bedrooms. Furnishings were all very dated and not working. All in all not a place I would recommend. Like I said, the view is fantastic, but would of been better off staying in an updated hotel or resort. Condo looked NOTHING like the pictures online at sunglowresorts.com

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My family had a wonderful time @ Sunglow Resort!! I've read that some of the units may not be as nice as some of the others but we stayed in a tropical beach paradise & I don't have a single complaint. It has been beautifully redone and has the most comfy furniture. Not to mention the balcony overlooking the ocean - couldn't ask for a better view! The resort itself may be showing it's age but it's very safe (the doors lock @ a certain time & you need a key to enter), the staff were nice & helpful, and it's in a great location. We enjoyed the pool area, the water is a perfect temperature - not too warm or too cold. We stayed a week & never heard our 'neighbors' while we were in the condo. Yes, the parking situation was a pain but that's not Sunglow's fault, the county is putting in drain pipes. We always got lucky and found a spot in the lot across the street , thankfully. Sunglow was very apologetic about the hassle but there's not much they could do. At least it's temporary, should be done soon. All in all, I'd recommend Sunglow Resort...just be sure to research your condo rental & look at the pictures. I miss our beach getaway already!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Daytona Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

If you are coming to Sunglow on the 24 or 25 of March be aware that the major south parking lot is closed for construction and parking is very limited. It is hard to find a parking place after 2 in the afternoon and the only overflow lot is mostly full at all times. It is a very frustrating problem that has not been fully solved.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Oldsmar, Florida, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo on the 10th floor. The place is totally dated (with VHS) and needs a complete re-do. I am going to download some pictures to show the vents in the bathroom, the only closet to hang clothes in has a disgusting air conditioner and stuff hanging off it and a place that would only be good for beach-goers with kids (all tile floors). Not a good place for Valentine's Day weekend. The only reason I gave it one star is for the view.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, just be sure to get one where the living room and the master bed...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
columbia, mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Sunglow is a great place to stay for a few days or a week. I was there with my kids for spring break and we had a great time, eventhough it rained all day one of the days.

We were on the 5th floor. The room was clean and comfortable, bed was nice and the bathroom was old, but clean. Plenty of towels too. All appliances worked and no bugs or other Florida critters. It was just great leaving the balcony door open and listen to the surf for hours. The balcony was great. Great view too.

The pool was clean and warm and so was the hot tub. The ocean is just a few steps away and the sand was warm but the ocean was cold. It was the end of March.

We have stayed here many times and never had any problems. Lisa, who made our reservations, was great. Just a great week, book it though Lisa and you will be glad you did. We had a great time.

Room Tip: oceanfront is the way to go
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011 via mobile

I visited the Sunglow Resort in June 2011. I had a lot of worries after reading through some of the reviews I had found regarding this resort. Against my better judgement, I decided to go ahead and book unit 207, vrbo listing #891.

When we first arrived, we had to drive past the resort and turn around to get to it since there was construction going on the entire time of our stay, which woke us up most mornings. When we walked in the first thing we noticed ( a group of 7 ) was the overwhelming odor of pesticide throughout the building. When we got up to our floor we noticed the door wasn't properly sealed on unit 207- I was already worried. We walked in and the first thing I noticed was the dirtiness of the walls near the bottom. It looked as if the walls hadn't been washed for years. The furniture was old, mix-matched, and dirty. The kitchen table was so wobbly we couldn't use it to eat any meals. I slept in the second bedroom and the bed hurt my back so bad (I am in my 20's), we had to take the mattress off the frame so I could sleep on the floor! That's when we saw that the frame was broken and laying on the floor, no wonder! We had bought some groceries for our stay and had snacks, bread, and fruit on the counter, and after about three days some people in our party informed me of roaches. I was disgusted and didn't want to believe it, but the next day I woke up and there they were. I wanted to leave right then but a member of our group had their family with them and we didn't want to ruin their vacation, especially since they hadn't been on vacation in ten years. The master bedroom ceiling was cracked and looked a little wet. The staff was semi-friendly (nothing too over the top), they definitely weren't the most welcoming staff we've had experience with. I was so worried that the bathrooms were going to be the worst part and they turned out to be the best part of the entire condo. The pictures on the vrbo website certainly do not accurately depict the way it really looks, even though we sent an email to the woman who owns the condo asking her if the pictures were accurate. When we left, we called to tell her what we experienced and explained that we didn't call because we all were very determined to make the best of the situation, and she seemed concerned and said she'd make some phone calls. She never returned our call so we called back and she said the best she could do was to give us a 200 dollar gift certificate to stay there next year- as if we'd ever want to experience that again!! When asked If we could have at least our 100 dollar deposit, she couldn't even do that. She was more concerned with business than she was with customer service. She can count on us never having any dealings with her again. Her contracts are extremely wordy and confusing. If you want the best value for your money, I'd wholeheartedly suggest finding another place.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Tropical Suites Daytona Beach? Share your experiences!