“Would stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Would stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I would stay here again, although I don't like paying a resort fee ($17/night). There was free parking and wifi, though. The balcony had cigarette butts left over from some time ago, so I guess they don't clean those very often. The rest of the room was pretty clean. The air conditioner did blow directly on the bed, so be sure to have an extra blanket. All in all, great stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Jr. Suite with 2 queen beds. Nice and roomy to be able to spread out in. It also had...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Gabrielle G,

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to se that you enjoyed your stay and would return.
I will ask housekeeping to focus more on those balconies.Your input is important to our continued improvement.
Hope to see you back at the Plaza soon!

Bob Van Bergen, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Solon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is an older hotel on the beach, without the car traffic on the beach to worry about. It is being nicely renovated, and the public areas are really beautiful with a great deal of character, showing how hotels used to be, not like the cookie-cutter ones built today. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a great view from the balcony. The location is good, able to walk to the pier and other restaurants for some variety. Staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating, explained the renovations being done. We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Chris T,

So hapopy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are making a number of improvements to our resort and was glad to hear that you noticed some of them. I hope that you will return soon.

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. We had 2 rooms on the 11th floor for 2 nights. Our rooms were great, everyone there was extremely helpful and accommodating. The kind of customer care you rarely get. Our stay included breakfast and it was much more than other hotels provide. Our room was very clean with an ocean view and plenty of space to accomodate 3 adults and child.
The only thing I would say negative is the beds were a bit hard for me, but the others thought they were comfortable, the water pressure was not great-and it was a sprinkle off and on and you cant take the pool towels to the beach, but these things would not keep us from going back. The room, location, beach, pool, the breakfast and especially the customer care were fantastic!!! We just wish we would have asked for ocean view with balcony.

Room Tip: Get a balcony so you can enjoy the view and breeze from the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Timar 5,

Thanks very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and was particulary happy to see that our service exceeded your expectations. Despite all of the improvements we are making to ur structure and facilities, it is service that keeps guests coming back. Hope to see you here again real soon!

Bob Van Bergen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel smelled very bad. The rooms are very outdated and the beds are as hard as bricks. The air conditioner is a window type unit and is so loud that you have to repeat most of whats said when it is on. There was a 3 inch gap at the bottom of the main door so everything in the hall could be heard. Please take my advice and spent the extra money and stay at the hilton your family will thank you.

• Stayed July 2013
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Dustin C,

We appreciate your review and your comments. We work hard every day to meet and exceed our guests expectations. We are working diligently at addressing the issues you have mentioned.
If you could send me your room number I will make sure we correct the noisy AC and opening at the bottom of the door.

SIncerely,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel met my expectations but you could be fooled by the resort title. Yes they have a spa & small gym but when I think resort I picture tennis courts, hiking trails, kayaking, on site restaurants. This HOTEL doesn't offer anything more than the next one down the block. Front desk staff were friendly & helpful. The place was relitively clean considering we went in the middle of summer break & knowing the amount of people traffic. My only beef is that the cleaning maid (Lindsey) made 3 phone calls from our room and we were sent a bill for the tax. When I disputed it with the front desk they gladly took care of it. Overall, you can't beat being right on the beach & a couple of blocks away from the Oceanwalk in Daytona.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Wamo25,

Thank you very much for your review. I ws pleased to see that you enjoyed our location, cleanliness and service provided by the front desk. We will address with the appropriate persons your comment about unauthorized use of the phone. Your continued patronage is very imporant to us and I hope you will return soon.

Ft M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel for 2 nights. When booking it we were looking for a relaxing break from work before heading to visit family up north. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the pier, and the beach was awesome. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We opted for a ocean view room with a balcony for what we thought was going to be a little more grand than it was. The balcony is very small and the AC unit that vents there is extremely noisy. The room itself was updated and nice. The bathroom still needs work and the water pressure in the shower was more of a light sprinkle. We were at the beach most of the day and were hoping to come back to a clean room and fresh towels but housekeeping didn't show up until 4pm, shortly after us, at which time we sent them away.

The hotel itself has a nostalgic feel, which was nice, but there is definitely a very bad musty odor throughout. They appear to be making an attempt to cover it up with some sore of "clean linen" air freshener, only making it worse. We were on the 8th floor of the hotel and opted for the stairs to make our way since an elevator was very hard to come by. If you are looking for a romantic get-away, this is definitely not the place. It was filled with families and kids so probably would rate it higher if that was what we were looking for. Overall an average hotel but not worth the price.

Room Tip: Choose a room you do not mind walking up the stairs to get too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Conny K,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate all reviews and especially those which give us some constructive ideas to improve. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our location, friendliness, nostalgia and beach. The other items that you were concerned about are being addressed through repairswhere needed and some much needed bathroom updates which are already in process and will be completed by late August.
I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and that you will find your next visit as romantic as you had hoped. Call me personally and I will endeavour to make sure that happens!

daytona beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

What can I say? This used to be a very nice property but has seen better days. Money wise, I should have paid a little more and gone to the Shore Resort.
Resort in general is dirty and in areas "run down". They specialize in catering to groups and small conventions/meetings. Not really the place to go for a relaxing weekend.
Entered the room and you could barly move in the bathroom. Don't even try to get 2 people in there at the same time. Wall hang hair dryer is off the wall and missing???? Called the front desk and someone knocks on my door and hands me a new wall hung dryer. I ask the person, "What do you want me to do with this" and they say, "Oh, do you need someone to install it?" No I always bring my tools with me... Needless to say, the hair dryer was never insalled during my time there.
After 2 days I called to speak to a manager. Of course none were available but I was told one would get with me before I left. Never heard from anyone. Did get vouchers for a breakfast I am glad I didn't have to pay for.
For the money, go somewhere else. Gnarly housekeeping and front desk staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony. If you go through Priceline or some of the other booking companies, you will b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Plaza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!