“terrible property, be aware of non-refundable bookings” 1 of 5 stars

Daytona Beach Regency
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #38 of 110 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Boston
“terrible property, be aware of non-refundable bookings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had a terrible experience there today. I booked three nights for a business meeting, did the booking through a well known website that advertises they physically check hotels before listing them. The price was right, "50% off", original price was listed at $200. But even at $100 it was kind of high for off-season in Daytona. The booking was non-refundable, but the site I ordered through is reputable and I made hundreds reservations through them with no problems. When i showed up at the property, they did not have my booking. Not a good sign. Then, 20 min later, they "found" my reservation and assigned a room for me on the second floor. The room was reeking of cigarette smoke, the windows were half blocked by some kind of canopy, it felt like i was in a basement. It was famous room 203 that other reviewer said needed to be avoided. Actually, it was a half of it, not the full suite. They changed the room and gave me one on the other side of the building, same second floor. It also had some traces of smoke, but what was worse, it was directly above the garbage bins that were overflowing and 20 feet across there was a garbage facility of another much larger property, also with several garbage containers that were open and garbage was overflowing. This is Florida, mind it. The smell was unbearable. I asked to put me in some other room. They said they had none. i asked to cancel my stay and refund the money they refused very rudely saying I had non-refundable reservations. I went to a property right up the road, exactly the same price, clean room, The charge will be disputed with my card shortly.

Room Tip: Avoid this property, any other place around is much better, and, probably, less money.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience at Daytona Beach Regency and hope we can address some of the concerns here.

The rate offered was a same-day booking rate which is substantially discounted from the normal rate and non-refundable, as you noted in your review. These policies are set by the third-party rental website, not by our property.

Our check-in time on all sites is listed at 4pm; however, we will always accommodate guests earlier if at all possible. We regret that you had to wait to be assigned a room, but we’re pleased that you were accommodated before 4pm.

It is unfortunate that your original room had a bad odor, as smoking is not allowed in any units on our property. Our Housekeeping team is very adamant about keeping our rooms clean and we regret that you did not get that impression. While we will always offer alternate units if available, during periods of high occupancy, the options for moving is limited.

We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Have been to this resort few times, did'nt mind the view of the dumbsters acroos the street, tired from the races and kept curtains drawn.
Got thewre 1:00 room not tready til 4:00
took bags back to car drove off and 5 minutes later got a call room ready.
Second floor facing DUMBSTER. ROOM 202 THE WORST ROOM, second time They have given it to me.
Sunday morning check out, was never told what time, woke up my girlfriend and I were having an intimate moment, the phone rings, not 3 times 5 times 10? Finally get back to our time and there is someone pounding on the door, time is 10:35? I scream out please come back we are not ready yet, thinking room service, POUNDING, SCARY continnues, again interrupted go to the door, it's a security guard yelling at the top of his voice that we have to leave room now? 10;45, I told him we are almost ready and will be out by 11, I slammed the door.
To add insult to injury, I paid for this room 2 weeks prior, they insisited on puting a hold on my cc card for $250, keep in mind room paid in full, thery said incidentalls? there were no drinks or food no mini bar, KEIKO the desk girl assured me the hold would come off the next day Sunday, today is Tuesday, funds not released! Hilton for me next time, the people that run this POOR EXCUSE FOR A HOTEL, NEED TO BE RETRAINED IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
PLEASE PLEASE FORGET THIS POOR EXCUSE FOR A HOTEL

Room Tip: make sure you don't get southern exposure 2nd floor to 4th floor all have terriblr dumbster view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality, provide premium services, and offer quality accommodations to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning, after reading your review, that we did not meet these expectations in regard to your recent stay here at Daytona Beach Regency. Our website, along with the information provided to our 3rd party rental partners, all state that our check in time is 4:00pm, and check out is at 10:00am. We do accept requests for early check in; however, as this is a request, we cannot guarantee that your room will be ready before 4pm. Additionally, at the time of check in, you sign a registration card which clearly advises what our check out time is. We sincerely apologize for the way our security guard handled the issue. This is clearly not representative of the kind of customer service we wish to portray to our guests and we will handle this internally with our security staff. While we try and accommodate each and every reservation request submitted by our guests, due to occupancy levels, we may not be able to accommodate all of these requests. If notified, our front desk would have been more than happy to check and see if another room was available for the duration of your stay. Please be aware that a prepaid deposit to cover potential damage(s) or theft(s) from a unit is required for all guests regardless of how the unit was paid for. These types of deposits (incidentals) are very commonplace in the resort industry and are used as a deterrent for guests to cause damage or theft to their unit(s). By limiting these types of costs to the resort, we pass on the savings to our guests. We are truly sorry if you feel you were not given proper notice that this is a required deposit. We try our best to advise 3rd party booking websites to advise their users that this deposit is mandatory at the time of check in. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay with us will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family and I recently vacationed at this property. The location is pretty nice, by Daytona Beach standards. It's within a spitting distance of a few chain restaurants (Bubba Gump, Joe's Crabshack, etc.) and is right on the beach.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I think the company is putting an emphasis on customer service, and they might as well, given that the property itself is not very appealing.

From the outside, it looks more modern than it really is. The building, I think, was renovated somewhat recently and there are no obvious signs of wear and tear. The parking garage is secure and convenient (and free to use if you stay at the hotel).

On the inside, the age of the building becomes more obvious. The ceilings are low and the rooms feel dated. The large LCD TVs feel out of place in the company of old-looking couches and easy chairs. But the rooms are clean and everything seems to be in pretty good working order.

It was nice to have a kitchen, with a full fridge, microwave and stove. Curiously, the pot from the coffee maker was missing, but because we had two rooms (combined), we used the other room's coffee machine. A kettle was delivered to the room on request, and was brand new.

Unfortunately, even though we asked for a room with an ocean view, we were given one that looked at the Wyndham next door, right at their garbage/recycling facility. This was most unfortunate, since the staff of that hotel sorted the refuse late in the evenings, and the noise was definitely unwelcome. I'm not sure what the hotel management considers to be water views, but if our room was an indication, it's that if you step out on the balcony and look hard to the left, you'll get a glimpse of the ocean. The way the hotel is built makes me think that the majority of the rooms fall into this category (the ocean-facing bit is the narrowest part with the fewest rooms...go figure).

There are some facilities, like a tiny little gym, an events room (with an unstaffed bar and some tables and TVs), a children's play room and an outdoor swimming pool. I wouldn't really call any of these amenities good, as they were quite spartan. The pool is, perhaps, the most interesting of the bunch, but is small and, I assume, packed during busier periods.

There is an entrance to the beach from the pool area and the beach is quite phenomenal. We were there in December, but the relatively warm weather allowed for some nice long walks along the water. Not a specific hotel amenity, as all the beach-front hotels have it, but still nice.

So, in short, while I wasn't blown away by this hotel, it was nice enough and the staff was great. And at under $150/night for a 2 bedroom setup, the price was definitely right.

Room Tip: When asking for an ocean-front view, make sure you specify that you want a room that doesn't req...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ridgetown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at the Daytona Beach Regency for two nights on our way home from Key West. Our room was on the eighth floor on the side away from the Wyndham. That was a good location, as we had a beach view due to the fact that there was a vacant lot next door. However, there was a sold sign on the lot, so construction next door might mean a noisy stay in the future. It is also close to the boardwalk and a very nice movie theatre.
There was a nice pool and hot tub, as well as a good beach property. We did not use either, primarily because of cool weather and other priorities. Otherwise the amenities were sparse. We typically stay in larger (newer) resorts, so may be spoiled by this. While we were there for two nights, we were only there for one day and it was Christmas Day. We did not expect any programs or events and were not surprised. However, the staff on duty was very friendly and seemed competent and helpful.
Our room was missing a toaster but one was delivered promptly on request. The bed was clean and comfortable and the room was fine. The bathroom was fine for a hotel but not up to the standards we usually find in a resort.
If space were available, we would probably choose to stay at the Wyndham next door (we did try to book it but it was full by the time we booked for this last-minute trip). It seems to be a larger, newer resort with a lot more facilities. However, if the Wyndham were not available, we would not hesitate to book here.

Room Tip: Ask about construction next door and book on other side if construction has started.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chagrin falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I would generally give this property good reviews; however do not accept rm 203! I used frequent flier miles to purchase a 2 bdrm suite (which usually means you get worst rm in house - which we did). Suite was very spacious - 2 bedroom/2 bath. Recent renovations apparent including fresh paint and new carpet in halls. Also appliances in kitchen looked new. However, we had worst view ever. Rm 203 is directly above lobby - so no balcony or view because the windows are taken up by the lobby's roof. Felt like we were in a basement. We didn't ask to switch rms because only staying one nt & everyone exhausted. Despite that, nice property - within walking distance to boardwalk and right on beach. Pool area was welcoming and pool was warm - even though 50 outside. Hot tub was not working. Inside pool was freezing. Hotel supplies pool towels and selection of starter kirchen items (coffee, tea, paper towels, dish soap) and for bath too. Hotel needs to clean out vent system. My husbands allergies were in overdrive - thought it was dusty vents. Parking complimentary - inside & out. Calendar looked like it had some fun events - movie nt by pool and spa day. Just make sure you carefully select your rm.

• Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The resort is a pleasant building with some signs of wear on the furniture and in the flooring. We stayed on the sixth floor and had the same experience as some others that visited in late 2012. The building is long rather than wide so there are few suites on the ocean - most have a "glimpse" of the ocean off the side balcony - this was the case for us. the long side facing south butts up against the Wyndam and their trash recepticle is on the street just below the Regency. Every load of trash down their 20 story trash chute can be heard in the rooms across the way. Like I said, bad neighbor, but little that Diamond International can do about it, though they should try and work something out.

The hotel is one hour from St. Augustine, and that was one of the focal points of our visit. It was a great ride up the coast and the city of St. Augustine is incredible, full of charm, history and photo ops. We enjoyed climbing the St. Augustine Lighthouse as well as touring the Castillo de San Marcos there. We ate in several of the restaurants (Sara's Crepes and the Irish Pub across from the Fort) and enjoyed the food and the outdoor dining, even in December. We also visited Ponce Inlet, FL just 20 minutes south of the Regency. There, we visited and one of us climbed the beautiful lighthouse there too. That same day we made our way back onto the mainland and down to New Smyrna and over to the beach there to visit the Canaveral National Seashore. That was a good time as well. We visited the Eldora Historical Site and once again took many pictures. Tot he south using a very powerful camera lens I managed several pictures that included Canaveral's Shuttle Assembly Building on the horizon. The Regency was a good location for these visits.

The Regency is also located two blocks from the "Boardwalk" area of Daytona Beach - the kids were having a lot of fun there and Joe's Crab Shack on the Daytona Beach Pier was a very active place.

As to the amenities things were just so so. The internet connection in the room was terrible. Being an active photographer who relies on access to the internet meant I was frustrated except at 4:30 in the morning (as is the hour at this moment) when there are few folks connected. But, when 9 a.m. arrives and folks are on the stir the connection will become overwhelmed. Also, when one in the afternoonarrives folks are out and about and the internet gets a littl ebetter. But come the dinner hour and the rest of the evening and night, the internet is useless. Our concierge suggested we come to the hotel lobby where the connection is better - I told him to fix the room connection as I didn't come to spend my creative time in a hotel lobby!

Would I return to this property? Probably not, but if there was nothing going on anywhere else in Florida, I might.

By the way the trip was my wife and I here for Christmas and a lot of photo shoots (both of us are photo nuts). Typically we are Marriott Vacation CLub travelers, this is no Marriott, maybe 65-70% of a Marriott Club.

Room Tip: If you are not in one of the beach side rooms your accommodations are routine at best. There are ab...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Milton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Spent a week in early December . Was greeted by friendly staff. Jonathan was professional and attentive. Enjoyed the beach, pool, and location . Some of the room was dated balcony very old and tired. Loved the beach view.

• Stayed December 2012