“Daytona Beach Shores Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shores Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Shores Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Shores Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2637 South Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118 (Formerly Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort)   |
Offers & Announcements
Third Night Free!
Ranked #30 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
“Daytona Beach Shores Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pros: Beautiful resort. Wonderful pool area. Cabana rental was worth the price and pool service at the cabana was spot on. The check-in Smores kit is a nice touch and we enjoyed sitting around the fire pits in the evening.

Cons:
Made reservations online with hotel directly. I reserved 2 rooms with king beds. Very disappointed to end up with 2 rooms with double beds. I don't know any adults that can sleep two in a double bed. Off to a bad start. Called the front desk and asked for king beds. I was told no and that my reservation stated double beds. I pulled my email confirmation and saw that the confirmation read, King bed or 2 doubles. I had no idea. I find it hard to believe a resort like the Shores would have double beds in this day and age! What couples can share a double bed, especially on a vacation where you are paying $259 per night? I felt ripped off.

Pool bar- There was marked difference between identical drinks made at the pool bar versus inside bar. The female at the pool bar could have cared less and poured a miserable drink. Extremely miserly with the alcohol. The guy at the inside bar poured a drink that matched the $12-14 price tag.

Dining:
I think Azure is the dining room name. We came down for breakfast on Sunday AM, around 9:30. It was chaotic, with the hostess' not having a clue. Note, we have stayed at this resort many times over the past 7 years, it never changes for dining. Service is disorganized and I watched several other guests walk out. On the plus side- the buffet (we ended up eating in the bar) was pretty darn good. And the freshly made omelets- worthy. The guy making the omelets could cook, but didn't greet you or speak to you. Which, when you are on vacation and happy, it's nice to be treated in a friendly manner.

Cleanliness: The rooms were clean and the beds- while ridiculously small, very comfortable.
The bathroom was clean, but when I dropped some cosmetics and they rolled under the open vanity, I realized that space hadn't been cleaned in ages. The underside of the vanities are all open, so it really should get mopped.

All in all- It is Daytona Beach and the Shores is not the Ritz. There were some disappointments, but overall, I'd return. Mainly because there isn't a nicer place in the area to stay. You are at the top of the food chain at the Shores.

Room Tip: Hotel is a bit noisy. The doors slam, so afternoon naps can be tricky. We were on the 6th floor.

947 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Originally from the Daytona Beach area, the Shores Resort is most likely the nicest hotel on the beach in this area. There were a few unfortunate events which are worth noting; be sure to arrive before check-in time as when we arrived, we found that they had overbooked the ocean view with balcony rooms...we were not happy but only had to spend one night in an two double bed room with an ocean view with no balcony. Managment did apologise and there were loads of people inconvenienced as we were. Be sure they pay you for this with money off at the restaurant or the bar! They are not the most skilled at dealing with a crowd...altough they tried, they were visibly incompetent in dealing with problems at check-in. The room was very nice, a little shabby around the edges but if you have stayed in the area, it is probably the best you can do.The restaurant food is great and overall the service by the bar/restaurant was excellent...we only had one problem where the food came before the wine arrived...which was red when we oredered white...be sure they do not charge you for mistakes made...this is a very nice resort which charges enough that the staff should be well trained and know that Sauvignon Blanc is white (at $12.99 a glass-you do not expect mistakes)!
I would reccomend this hotel but do come prepared for some problems.

Room Tip: Definitely ocean view with balcony and a few floors up as the pool deck/tiki bar are a little noisy.
Spring Hill, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I were only able to stay one night, but I do wish we could have stayed a couple of more! We arrived about 2pm and were able to check in early which was nice. We splurged on a oceanfront balcony, and I'm so happy we did. The view was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. I actually thought the decorating of the hotel was very nice. I enjoyed the boutique feel of the rooms and the lobby. We did spend most of our time outside by the pool. It was very relaxing and quiet. All of the waitstaff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. The drinks made at the Tiki Bar were good. I even had to send one back because it was too strong! Lol The bartender was very kind to make me another to my satisfaction and even remembered when I ordered again. We only ate lunch at the hotel, but the food was very tasty and the presentation very nice as well. The fire pit and the s'mores was a such a relaxing way to end the evening. I'm looking forward to a time we can return!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went here with my husband for a weekend getaway and to visit some friends. First, the pluses: room service was easy, 15 minutes. They let us check out late (3:00pm), but charged us $40 to do so. Still, I was happy to have that option. The rooms were nice/updated/clean, and not too pricey. It was quiet at night, and they have complimentary s'mores by the firepits (a nice touch). It's a good location - easy to access from I-95, the public spaces are nice and it is right on the ocean. We also rented a cabana one day ($95) and that was nice. We had plugs to power our devices, our own server, and privacy.
Now, the minuses - meal service was slow, and there were not many people there. It was a Sunday afternoon. The fitness center was smaller than I expected, though not crowded. They didn't give us a minibar key when we checked in. We had to request it, and then go to the front desk to get it (sorry, I'm not lazy, I've just never heard of that before!). And finally, the patio furniture and pool towels were of cheap quality. The cabana was not, though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights for a marriage ceremony, had an ocean view room which was so worth it… The room was “OK”, nothing to brag about really!... the décor of hotel was out dated, didn’t like the décor of the room or hotel… there is a good size pool with a hot tub and few fire pits; which almost all of them are not working for making the smore’s… (the smore’s kit was $10)… the resort charges $15/daily for resort fee.. there are towels available but some really dirty and has marks on it ! not enough lounge chairs available around the pool…. During our stay we were promised for “free breakfast in May” special; which we did not get except for one day!... the staff are not friendly at all; specially the front desk…and they take forever to check you in ! … the restaurant was alright; but VERY limited options of menu; which is not good as there is no dining options around the hotel (not within walking distance anyway!)…. The restaurant food was okay; but nothing extraordinary… we were so surprised to find hair in our food TWICE , and it was even worse when the “chef” or “restaurant manager” came toward to apologize and we noticed how dirty her apron and pants were ; with no hair cover !... at check out; our bill was wrong; they over-charged us for almost every meal we had there… I expected A LOT more from a luxury hotel as they call it… take my advice; stay away from here; the service , the food, the décor, almost everything in this hotel was a disappointment; except for the location of course ! I am sure with the amount we paid; we could have gone to a better real luxury hotel !

Room Tip: STAY AWAY , this is not worth it .... take my word!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
shoresresort, Manager at Shores Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
First let us apologize for any mistakes we made, no excuses, any guest who stays with us should expect the best. We truly strive to provide wonderful guest service and always hope to exceed our guests expectations - clearly we did not meet yours. I am not sure why there were so many issues with your stay -- or why you were charged for a s'mores kit as we include one complimentary with each stay (additional ones are charged for). We did run a promotion for people who booked a reservation in may offering a free breakfast per stay (not per day) - if we were not clear on the offer, again, we apologize. We take all guest complaints very seriously and welcome you to reach out to us directly at the resort to discuss your concerns. Please feel free to call us at 866.934.7467 and ask for the Marketing Manager. Kind regards, The Shores
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

being an employee in the hospitality industry I know already the expectations of great service. The room I was given had a terrible view of the ac units of the building. No beach view or waterway view as resort states every room has. Front desk unwilling to move room, stating all rooms are pre assigned. I know how this works... resort asigns names to rooms without the specific request for that room. I do not recommend this hotel for customer satisfaction reasons and an unwillingness to resolve the problem. I will definitely stay at the Wyndam again next time. Good thing this was a certificate and not money out of my own pocket, as I would leave and go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013
We are so sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request during your stay. We typically try very hard to assure guests are satisfied with their room - however, there are occasions such as the last weekend, when our resort was almost to capacity with several groups that had booked here quite a while ago with very specific room requests. Other than your view - we do hope the rest of your stay was positive. We are a boutique resort in a lovely area - and hope you will give us another try!
Wichita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were booked to stay 3 nights, but left after 2 nights. Way over priced for the service and overall atmosphere. My husband liked it more than I. I didn't find it relaxed- it felt cold and unfriendly. Dark wood made it seem more up-scale, but the staff was unimpressive for the only 4 star rated hotel on the beach (I was told). The bar close to the beach didn't look like it should be part of the hotel-almost looks run-down. The inside bar was nice and in the morning offered coffee (which was awful). I've never been so happy to leave a hotel. Won't return to Daytona.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shores Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!