“Rent from private owners” 5 of 5 stars

Hawaiian Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 South Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #74 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
Lorain, OH
“Rent from private owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2004

I think that there are a lot of unfair statements made by people who have rented from the front desk, and it makes the private owners look really bad. The majority of the units there are really gorgeous, both studios and one-bedrooms alike. Granted, the building has been around for awhile, but the atmosphere is one of fun, relaxation, and pure enjoyment! My suggestion is to go online and look at many of the vacation websites where the private owners are listed. (I'm not allowed to put the sites in my text, but there are literally hundreds!) We rent from the same party consistently. She has 20+ units that she rents from other owners, and always has the cleanest, nicest rooms w/extra amenities. One of the units even has a metal detector, and we were fortunate enough to find several hundreds of dollars of "missing/lost" jewelry. The rates are always much lower than the front desk (by at least $100!), and the service you get is so much more personal! We go to Daytona at least 5 times a year, and I'd never stay anywhere else but the Hawaiian Inn!

• Stayed May 2004

522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2004

I went to this Inn with a reservation for an "oceanfront room". I thought that it was a reasonable expectation that I would have a view of the ocean, I was wrong. I traveled with my family on 04/30/04 and had a reservation which I had made (2) months in advance. After checking in I proceeded to my 1st floor, end-unit "oceanfront" room. The bending narrow corridor was dingy and lined with an old, stained carpet which had a distinct pungent odor. No excuse for this in any hotel, in particular one that charges in excess of $100 per night. Upon entering the room I was immediately in a bedroom, no windows, again dingy, and again an unpleasant odor. The next room was the same as this one, most notably, free of windows. Proceeding through I entered the "living room" which was adequate in size. However from this room was the slider to the deck which provided a view of the back of a building, perhaps a tiki bar or maintenance shed. No view of the pool or ocean. I went to the front desk to express my displeasure and I was told that all rooms are "oceanfront", whatever that means. When it became apparent that I was getting no where with this particular individual I asked to speak with a mangaer. I waited for nearly an hour and still no manager. I went back to the desk and explained that I came from NY to stay in a room with a view of the ocean. I further explained that one of my children was disabled and that he goes to bed early because of medications he is on and therefore we would spend additional time in our room and thus the need for a good view for the remainder of us (This was not a ploy for special treatment, simply the truth). Again, no results and no manager. It is difficult to find a room based on photos but the web-site does not give an accurate portrayal of the Inn. Against my better judgement after I have read these very reviews, some of which were quite negative, however I still made the reservation of an oceanfront room with what I thought was a reasonable expectation of having a view of the ocean. I was very disappointed as was my family. With that said there was no excuse for the blatant disregard of my family and me, and no plausible reason ( however none was given) for there not being an on-site mangaer to address my concerns. When I asked about opting out of the entire weekend I was told that I would be charged a full nights rate. I did witness while waiting, prospective guests being turned away due to the no vacancies. No accomodations were ever made for us and we left and went to the Hampton Inn down the road where we stayed the weekend in a third floor unit with a great view of both the hotel pool and the ocean. The staff there were very cordial and the hotel was exceptionally clean. I would not recommend the Hawaiian Inn to anyone, with or without an oceanview. The place was far outdated, had an unpleasant odor and the staff showed no regard for me or my family. They made no attempt to accomodate us and I believe it was unfair to charge me for a nights rate without giving me a response from management. In the future I will heed the negative reviews, as I now know in hindsight I should have.

Beverly Hills,FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2004

We went for Labor Day weekend 2003. The "oceanfront room" barely had a view of the ocean. It had a funky smell and my husband slipped in the shower (fortunately he was ok). The worst part was when I went to get the camera out of our truck. Sometime during the night our vehicle had been vandalized. A tire was slashed and one side had been keyed. Over 15 cars had been hit, some worse than ours. When I went to the front desk, they gave me a form and said they knew about it. They never contacted any of the guests to let them know what had happened. I would never stay there again, management seemed very unconcerned about our experience.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2004

The inn was okay until we got to our room. we booked a suite with an ocean view and recieved a view of the pool bar and no ocean view.
second our sleeper sofa was broken and had to get a roll away and sleep on the couch. 3rd we were next too the dryer and washer room with a horrible gas smell but it covered up the body odor smell in the room.
the coffee make was broken but they did replace it promptly. they also let us check in 3 hours early. the mini golf was a blast, the restaurant pool side was okay, the pool side entertainment was great good young musician. the INN could be a great stop if it wasnt overbooked and you could really choose your room. last the lobby breakfast restaurant was a joke it was terrible. this IS NOT owned by the hotel though. wont go again but wouldnt say dont go either.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2004

This place was absolutely terrible! It smelled like a bathroom, the carpets were stained, the beds were the most unsanitary, the hallways were the equivalence of a jail cell, and the maids might as well not have been there because they did nothing anyway.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

My two girlfriends from school and myself went to Daytona Beach for spring break, we decided to stay at the Hawaiian Inn, based off of what we saw off the internet, when we got down there, the only negative aspect of our 5 day stay was that it took nearly three hours for us to get checked in, but the hotel made up for that, once we got to our room. The room was clean and we had a perfect view of the ocean and the outside pool, I suggest that if you decided to stay at this hotel pay the extra money for a oceanfront studio (our room number was 532), there was a clean kitchen fully equip and what every we asked for from the front desk we got in good time. The cleaning service, came everyday and clean our room, and NO we did not share our stay with any form of creepy crawlers. the highlight of the hotel was the outdoor pool and when it was cold it was still good because we just went to the indoor heated pool, outside was a bar that had the best margaritas! We are definitely planning another spring break down there but we are going to stay on north atlantic avenue closer to the clubs, the hawaiian in is on south atlantic and a better location for family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2004

My best friend and I made reservations through the actual resort itself back in November for Spring Break 2004. When we arrived in Daytona we were horrified by the city...completely trashy. Then when we arrived at the Hawaiian Inn we were mortified. We decided to at least check in and give it a chance. The room wasn't ready so we decided to walk around the resort and check it out. The carpets were disgusting with stains and dirt, the walls were stained tiles, there was an old nasty mattress standing up inside the door, and the vending machines were so old and rickedy. We were so horrified that we decided to go and tell the front desk that we had an emergency and had to drive back to NY so we wouldn't be able to stay. We ultimately had to pay for a one night's stay, but it was well worth it to get out of that trashy hotel. The service was terrible too. There was one girl doing check ins and the phones and they were all talking about "tits" in front of all the guests. It was by far the worst lodging experience of my life and I will never ever go back to Daytona Beach or the Hawaiian Inn. And let me say that the rates are outrageous too. We were going to pay $150/night (I hardly think so) plus they screwed up our reservation and had us checking out on the 19th of March instead of the 20th.
Ridiculous. Beware future guests, this place is a disgrace.

Been to Hawaiian Inn? Share your experiences!