“Nice find for out of season stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hawaiian Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 South Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #63 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Nice find for out of season stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Found this property using a coupon from the magazines distributed at welcome stations. We tried another hotel, Perry's Family Motel but were told they didn't have any qualifying rooms in spite of the parking lot being only 1/4 full.

The Hawaiian Inn was happy to honor their own coupon.

I was raised in Daytona Beach and remember when the Hawaiian Inn was built in the early 1960s. This was my first time in the property and I was surprised and pleased to see how well it has been maintained over the years. As any beach front property, expect humidity, grit, specks of rust here and there.

Our room, a large suite overlooking the pool and the ocean was $61 - a real bargain! But don't expect rates like this at any other time of the year! The room was clean, very spacious and included a fully equipped kitchen. It appears that the some rooms may have been converted into condos which are rented out when the owners are away.

You won't find a better location on the beach front. Huge pool and deck, walk to the beach from the pool deck..... Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 314, right across from the elevator and overlooking the swimming pool. Nice view o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaiian Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! We’re glad to hear you were pleased with your room, and that you enjoyed our amenities. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting Daytona Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a professional in the hospitality industry, I must say my stay here was below average. My staff and I decided to get away for Martin Luther King weekend, and the Hawaiian Inn offered us a 2 bedroom suite (4 queen size beds) for 8 people, which was a perfect fit for us. One of my staff members and I checked in together because room + tax was on his card, and I was going to put incidentals on my CC. Everything went smoothly, until afterwards when we all walked in all together with our luggage. The front desk agent called me over from across the lobby with quite an attitude and said she needed photo ID’s from every single person staying in the room, and we were all going to have to sign a rules and agreement statement saying we understand property procedures. I had absolutely no problem with this; however, the attitude was not necessary. She asked how many people were staying in the room and I told her 8. She responded, “Wow!” I then asked, “The room has 4 queen size beds, correct?” She responded yes, and I said “Okay, so 2 people per bed. The room sleeps 8 people. We told the reservation agent there would be 9 in the room and she said that was fine, but one person had to cancel so we only had 8.” The front desk agent then proceeded to tell me there was going to be a $75 deposit for each person staying in the room for incidentals. I told her to authorize my CC on file for incidentals and she said, “That’s $600! You’re okay with that?” This was not listed on the website and the reservations agent did not make this known to us, but as a person who currently works for the front office department for a 4-Diamond resort at Universal Studios, Orlando I told her I understood policy procedures and I knew if there was nothing wrong with the room at check-out I would be refunded the $600. She then decided to call her manager to see if she could lower it for us. When she called her manager, she said “The Spring Breakers are checking in and there are 8 of them. Can we lower the $600 deposit for incidentals?” The manager allowed her to cut the amount in half to $300—as long as we knew if anything was wrong with the room they would have no problem charging my card for damages. Where do I begin with how many things that are wrong this this scenario?! I have NEVER been treated like this in my life, nor would I ever treat any of my guests with such disrespect because I would be fired immediately, regardless of my seniority at my resort. First of all- it was the weekend of Jan 18-Jan 20…Spring Break is in March. Second of all, we are a staff from UCF area that was just trying to get away for the long weekend and relax. It was about 50 degrees the entire weekend so we weren’t even able to step foot on the beach! We just stayed in the room and hung out around Daytona during the day.

Of course the weather was out of our control, but we made the best of it. The day before we checked out (January 19th) I dropped an earring underneath one of the beds in the bedroom. When I looked underneath the bed I found a pair of old whitey tighties, and I was horrified! The next morning I went to check out and finally got to meet the manager who the front desk agent called at check in. I told him when housekeeping goes to inspect the room to make sure we didn’t damage anything she would find a pair of whitey tighties in the hallway. He then said, “Oh she’s not looking for stuff like that. She is just making sure there is no damage to the room.” When he finally realized the “Are you kidding me?” looking on my face he said, “I do apologize for that. I’m glad you left them in the hallway though so the housekeeper can see she needs to work harder and clean better next time.” I do not expect any form of compensation from my less-than average experience with your staff, however, I HIGHLY recommend you all learn how to treat your guests with respect and not assume we’re going to wreck the hotel, regardless of your previous experiences with people our age. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone, and I do hope you take my recommendations into serious consideration or you will continue to lose A LOT of business. This is an easy commute for myself and my coworkers, and we would definitely go back to Daytona again for a long weekend, but not to the Hawaiian Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaiian Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your comment. I'm disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on your recent visit, and I apologize for the encounter at check in. We truely value our guests and appeciate your feedback. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent experience.
Columbus, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were not impressed at all. If we are ever in Daytona again, we would not stay here again. The temperature dropped to the low 40's and then we found out there was no heat. Room service was intermittent and when asked to return later, they did not.

Room Tip: None that I can print here. Run, don't stop!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. We value the opinion of our past guests and are always looking to make improvements to better serve you. Again, we appreciate your review.
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We recently stayed overnight at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, and we had a nice room on the 5th floor. It was clean and we enjoyed the queen-size beds. The room did not look exactly like the one on the website, but we were not disappointed. We had no problems with getting additional towels for our party of 6. My only complaint was the indoor pool was very cloudy. The outdoor pool and other amenities were clean and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaiian Inn, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate you sharing your experience with. We appreciate the kind words and feedback. We’ll be sure to relay your suggestions to management, as we are always looking for ways to improve! Thanks again!
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom, Oceanview suite. We got to the room, and it was not a 2 bedroom suite. While there was 1 separate bedroom, the other "bedroom" consisted of a 7 foot wall with a dressing screen for a door. The door to the outside patio, when opened, refused to close. The room was at the corner of the building, and with another building annex right next to us, we had next to no view of the ocean. But the worst part was the cleanliness, or lack thereof. The room smelled upon entry, maybe of cigarettes, but I'm not sure. The all-tile floor was stained. There was an overhead halogen light in the kitchen area (like you'd find in an older business office) with black grime over parts of it. The walls hadn't been washed or painted in a long time. Even the two (mismatched) chairs on the patio were filthy. The man at the desk was kind enough to check us out and release any holds on our credit card as we left, without any problems.

Room Tip: The website has pictures of rooms that look quite different. Perhaps they exist, but the one we wer...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaiian Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We regret to hear your experience with us did not exceed expectations. We wish you our deepest apologies and assure you our management team will receive your feedback and suggestions to ensure improvement. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Clermont, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I never write any of these reviews, but I'll go ahead on this hotel. I have stayed in a lot of the resorts and hotels in this area and I have to say this one just stinks! Customer service does not even exsits at this place, the rooms are not nice at all or very clean. We had a total of three towels in our one bedroom room and we needed more and was told nope, you trade towel for towel. We supplied our own toiletries cause we figured if they wont give you an extra towel or two then they sure as heck won't give you toilet paper or soap. Maid never cleaned our room during our three day stay, I'm not sure they cleaned it before our three day stay! The review about a sign posted stating there would be no water all day was true, I took a pic of it because I have never heard of a hotel charging you for a room and not supplying water to even flush a toilet and I heard a few people in the lobby expressing concerns over this and not getting very far with the staff, never heard them even say they were sorry for it. I don't know how that matter turned out because thankfully that was the day we checked out. My advice to anyone would be to shop around and go somewhere else unless you are willing to check into your room, be happy with what ever condition it is in and dont need anyone from the front dest for ANYTHING then you will be happy at this hotel.

Room Tip: my only tip is just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We're very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience. We will share your comments with the appropriate departments for improvement. Thanks again!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

the people at the desk were rude and did nothing to help you. we never got the right amount of towells ,we got one small bare of soap for six people, and they ran out of toilet paper ,we had to go buy paper and soap

Room Tip: We had four rooms and one worst then the other I advise everyone to find a differant hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaiian Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We are so sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay, and we apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your visit. We will be sure to relay your feedback to our management team as we are always seeking ways to improve. Thank you.

Been to Hawaiian Inn? Share your experiences!