“Friendly people, excellent view from room” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2411 South Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
“Friendly people, excellent view from room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The kids loved it!! The view of the ocean was beautiful! Heated pool inside and outside. Kiddie pool, water slide, located directly on the beach, you could go for walks on the beach any time ...............
Will for recommend to others...............
Needs coffee in room though. Basketball goal and playground for kids ,, the people where very friendly.game room to
o, shuffle board, hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!...…loved it loved it

• Stayed December 2012
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in writing such a nice review. It is so nice to read that this family enjoyed their stay at the Sun Viking Lodge. A Christmas get-a-way at the beach is a perfect location to re-connect, something we feel is truly important in our fast paced world. Many of our guests with children find out that there are plenty of things to do here on the property that keeps the kids busy and which makes everyone happy!

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

we spent alot of time choosing as hotel. good reviews, ammenities, comfortable beds, price and how the front desk handles my inquiry's are my criteria for choosing a hotel. the first time I called the sunviking the front desk was so rude I almost booked another place. after calling several more hotels I tried them again a few days later the girl was fantastic. We booked for 5 days based on the price (in relation to the other oceanfront properties) and the fact that they had a waterslide. When we got there we noticed the place isnt as nice as the website would have you believe but it is well maintained and clean and all the staff we met were fantastic. I didnt like being asked at my arrival to give recommondations to friends and family I am not an advertising agent. My boys loved the place we spent many hours in the pool and beach. the rooms are dated but comfortable. the elevators are fast and the relaxed atmosphere of the place is worth every penny. too many times at other hotels we are bombarded with rules we cant enjoy ourselves. my boys 13,12,10, went on there own to the pools and waterslide and we felt safe and secure. I was going to book another night and was hoping for a great rate since the hotel was not busy and we had already gave over $500 but the discount was very little so I booked elsewhere. Next time we are at Daytona Beach we will stay again. Thanks for a great week at Daytona

Room Tip: Always Call hotel directly you will 99% of the time get a better rate.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for sending in this review and for selecting the Sun Viking Lodge for their vacation. I would also like to sincerely apologize for your first phone experience with our Front Desk; I am not sure why this happened. Honestly, when you mentioned on your second return call that “the girl was fantastic” this is generally a comment we often hear about our staff, so I am glad when you arrived you also found our staff “fantastic”.

We were happy to read that you found our property and rooms clean but we’re sorry you did not feel our website photos accurately represented our property. I am not sure exactly why but I can say that they are actual photos of our property and most were recently taken.

Upon check-in all guests are given some additional information which includes a schedule for our free activity program along with a short description of our family & friends program; it is generally to make the guest aware of the program.

We are so glad your “boys loved the place” and it was nice of you to say that “the relaxed atmosphere of the place is worth every penny” and that you “felt safe and secure” allowing your boys to go out “on their own and use our pools and waterslide”.

Thank you again for taking the time to send in this review – we look forward to welcoming your family back again when you return to Daytona Beach.
Cumming, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our first time staying at the Sun Viking during the Turkey Run of 2012. Overall we had a good stay and I would stay here again. The pictures on tripadvisor of the hotel and pool areas are a good representation of what we saw during our stay. I found the bed to be more comfortable than the bed we'd just slept in at Disney, but my wife didn't care for it. My kids slept on the pull out sofa and they said it was very comfortable. The sofa is a little different and does not have a bar that crosses just under your back, which is a good thing I laid down on the sofa bed to see how comfortable it was and it seemed fine to me. The room was clean, but the comforters on the beds were clearly near the end of their life cycle and need to be replaced. The pool with the slide was heated and we used it nearly every day. it was windy and cool during our stay, but the water in the pool and on the slide we heated enough to make swimming when it is in the low 60's and windy comfortable. We loved the hot tub and the indoor pool was also nice. The smell of chlorine can be overwhelming at some indoor pools, but not this one. Also, the air temps in the indoor pool were a good 70 degrees, but not so much as to make it hot for the people who were not in the water. I would also recommend Mike's Galley for breakfast just south of the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first 2 floors of the tower open to the indoor pool. If you want an ocean view, st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I would like to thank this family for staying with us for the first time. Your comment about our bedding is one we occasionally hear and although our beds are all new, it is one of the most challenging issues in the hotel industry. You see, some guests like their beds very firm, some like them very soft and there are requests for everything in between, so it is almost impossible to find the perfect bed for everyone! Our new sofa beds were specifically ordered because they do not have the support bars under the mattress making them very comfortable and similar to a normal bed. Thank you for all your kind comments regarding our waterslide, heated indoor and outdoor pools and hot tub.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a great place for families as they have activities for all ages. The indoor pool is a plus when weather is inclement. The rooms are spacious and have everyting we needed. Having a basketball goal and volleyball net is a real plus. The staff are all friendly and we will come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We were happy to read that this family enjoyed their time with us and plans a return visit.

Many of our guests love our indoor garden pool – not only is it great when the weather may be a challenge, it’s also helpful if you get a bit too much sun! We are glad to see that the room you stayed in provided for all your needs; rooms with kitchens are equipped with many of the items you would find in a home such as measuring cups & spoons for baking along with a full set of dishes and pot & pans. Eating a meal or two daily in your room can certainly save a bunch and is really convenient!

Thank you again for your kind words and high rankings.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is our four visit to Sun Viking over the last 15 years. We met many families who have stayed many more times/visities. We recommend this Lodge over others as the beach is perfect, not to many people and clean. We look forward to more time at the Sun viking.

Room Tip: We enjoy a ocean front room in the tower. But have also stayed in the two story building, ocean side...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I would like to thank this guest for ranking us so high in each category and for sending in this nice review. It is nice to read that this returning family enjoyed their vacation at the beach and their stay with us. A large majority of our guests have stayed with us in the past and continue to return year after year – we are very blessed. Our oceanfront rooms are very popular and even our non-view rooms are favorites of many. What counts most is family time; nothing else is more important . . . creating memories to last a lifetime!

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit!
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here in April 2012. Excellent price, tons to do! My daughter (9) loved the pool. We spent a lot of time relaxing by the pool. We stayed for a week and I don't think we were disappointed once. We booked the "best price deal" from there website, (i think that is what it was called, but basically you book the best price and your room is a surprise, meaning could be parking lot view, could be ocean view etc...) We ended up with indoor pool view, second floor. It was nice, we also had a full kitchen. Which we only used the fridge. I am on vacation, I am definitely not cooking!! The beach was beautiful also! Hot tub was nice also. The staff was very friendly especially the manager the day we checked in. The only slight complaint I have was, we checked out on a Saturday, I received a phone call Monday stating that there was a pillow (one of the large decorative pillow) was taken from the room."Those pillows are special order and are very expensive!!" (what was said) I was appalled for a few minutes, but once I called the manager and spoke with him all was better. The maid reported it missing Sunday, we checked out Saturday morning. It was the people that stayed in our room after us. I guess they denied it also.
Hopefully we will be down in April again ( we are from CT) and if the price is right, we will be staying here!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in April and thank you for saying our staff was friendly. Many of our guests enjoy our indoor pool-view rooms as they can watch their kids swim in the pool from their balcony. These rooms all have fully equipped kitchens and although you said you were on vacation and did not want to cook, the convenience of having a full kitchen is nice to have even for snacks! Our “Best Rate” offers a good bargain, however, as you pointed out, the room location is determined by the motel on the morning of arrival and as you said, can be any location on the property.

Regarding the decorative bolster missing on the bed and the phone call you received regarding it. I apologize if you were offended, that was not our intention. We have owned the Sun Viking Lodge for 41 years and we have found that many of our guests even call us as they unpack their cars finding something that was unintentionally brought home; we are very lucky, our guests are good honest people. The reason for the call was only to inquire if you may have mistakenly packed this item from a room when, sometimes in haste, everyone grabs things and throws them into the trunk, only to find the item when they unpack. Once again, we appreciate you honesty. Actually the bolster was returned, so all is good!

Again, we sincerely appreciate your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in April.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in an oceanview with seperate bedroom and kitchen.
they gave us a great room, all the way on top in the corner, we loved seeing the dolphins play in the waves every day.
We loved having the 2 sinks. Appliences were a bit dated, but I think they were changing out the stoves while we were there. There is an icemaker in the fridge! Woohoo!
Having a place to do laundry was nice, it wasn't to expensive and never to busy, we were out of season so maybe when the hotel is full it is busier.

Negative was the safe, that you have to pay for, it would be nice to have something with a key, our codes, I hope this is on the "to do list"... otherwise bring a ton of quarters.

*Smokers in the room next to us, we could not sit on our balcony :( they were also leaning over their balcony and could look right in our room... we were enjoying some quiet time suddenlly a guys head pops around the wall "hello!!"

*The information in the room says you can pay by the poolside cafe with your roomkey, having it be put on your bill, but I was told when I tried to do this, that this was not possible.

*I missed towels out by the pool, and a laundrycart to throw them in after swimming, we took our towels from the room.

*We both had our wristbands on, my son kept throwing his off (and loosing it), and when we tried to take him off the slide we were very rudelly told he could not go, a little bit harsh we tought.... he was with both of us and we had our bands+roomkey, and he is 4 years old, he was crying his eyes out... we thought this was a little overreacted, so i just put my wristand on him and he could go.

Overall we had a good time, if its in season i would not want to go here, I think the chaos of all the kids would be to much for us. Lots of activities organised and it seems like there is lots of people participating.

Staff is friendly and quick to jump on problems, there was a pretty nasty storm that had the wrong angle, and a lot of rain was blown under our door, the carpet was soaked, they had someone come up to dry it out right away!
You always see people on the grounds, working cleaning, ect. they will all give you a smile and greet. :)

Room Tip: top floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in this review and also thank you for ranking us so high in all the different categories.

We are glad you liked your oceanfront room location and the beautiful view of the ocean with playing dolphins seen from your balcony. Our rooms with kitchens are very popular and as you mentioned, it sure is helpful to have your own ice maker. We are in the process of replacing appliances and this is an on-going process. We also have a “wish list” with items we’d like to replace; safes are on the list.

All our rooms are non-smoking and at times, occasionally, those who smoke do so out on the balcony. Usually, if we have another room available, we can relocate you to one where this won’t happen. Unfortunately, on any building with balconies, someone can extend their head around to the next balcony; luckily, this rarely happens.

As for not allowing you to charge your meal to your room with your room key, I am not sure why this was not allowed. Did you check with the Front Desk to inquire why? Although our poolside kafe is not open after Labor Day, I will make sure we inform employees of this once they reopen and hopefully this will be corrected.

I agree, the pool attendant should have allowed your son to ride the slide if he were with you and your husband. I am not sure why, other than if all kids were running around using the waterslide and pools without pool I.D. bands, it might be hard for the pool attendant to keep track of which kids are with parents and which ones are not. We have grandkids and I certainly understand that sometimes, they just don’t want to do what parents want them to do.

It was so nice of you to compliment our employees – we agree, they are great, thank you. The activity program certainly keeps everyone busy and many of our guests find that they can get quite lucky at poolside bingo!

Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Been to Sun Viking Lodge? Share your experiences!