“great for the kids” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
Nashville, Tennessee
“great for the kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in an oceanview with seperate bedroom and kitchen.
they gave us a great room, all the way on top in the corner, we loved seeing the dolphins play in the waves every day.
We loved having the 2 sinks. Appliences were a bit dated, but I think they were changing out the stoves while we were there. There is an icemaker in the fridge! Woohoo!
Having a place to do laundry was nice, it wasn't to expensive and never to busy, we were out of season so maybe when the hotel is full it is busier.

Negative was the safe, that you have to pay for, it would be nice to have something with a key, our codes, I hope this is on the "to do list"... otherwise bring a ton of quarters.

*Smokers in the room next to us, we could not sit on our balcony :( they were also leaning over their balcony and could look right in our room... we were enjoying some quiet time suddenlly a guys head pops around the wall "hello!!"

*The information in the room says you can pay by the poolside cafe with your roomkey, having it be put on your bill, but I was told when I tried to do this, that this was not possible.

*I missed towels out by the pool, and a laundrycart to throw them in after swimming, we took our towels from the room.

*We both had our wristbands on, my son kept throwing his off (and loosing it), and when we tried to take him off the slide we were very rudelly told he could not go, a little bit harsh we tought.... he was with both of us and we had our bands+roomkey, and he is 4 years old, he was crying his eyes out... we thought this was a little overreacted, so i just put my wristand on him and he could go.

Overall we had a good time, if its in season i would not want to go here, I think the chaos of all the kids would be to much for us. Lots of activities organised and it seems like there is lots of people participating.

Staff is friendly and quick to jump on problems, there was a pretty nasty storm that had the wrong angle, and a lot of rain was blown under our door, the carpet was soaked, they had someone come up to dry it out right away!
You always see people on the grounds, working cleaning, ect. they will all give you a smile and greet. :)

Room Tip: top floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in this review and also thank you for ranking us so high in all the different categories.

We are glad you liked your oceanfront room location and the beautiful view of the ocean with playing dolphins seen from your balcony. Our rooms with kitchens are very popular and as you mentioned, it sure is helpful to have your own ice maker. We are in the process of replacing appliances and this is an on-going process. We also have a “wish list” with items we’d like to replace; safes are on the list.

All our rooms are non-smoking and at times, occasionally, those who smoke do so out on the balcony. Usually, if we have another room available, we can relocate you to one where this won’t happen. Unfortunately, on any building with balconies, someone can extend their head around to the next balcony; luckily, this rarely happens.

As for not allowing you to charge your meal to your room with your room key, I am not sure why this was not allowed. Did you check with the Front Desk to inquire why? Although our poolside kafe is not open after Labor Day, I will make sure we inform employees of this once they reopen and hopefully this will be corrected.

I agree, the pool attendant should have allowed your son to ride the slide if he were with you and your husband. I am not sure why, other than if all kids were running around using the waterslide and pools without pool I.D. bands, it might be hard for the pool attendant to keep track of which kids are with parents and which ones are not. We have grandkids and I certainly understand that sometimes, they just don’t want to do what parents want them to do.

It was so nice of you to compliment our employees – we agree, they are great, thank you. The activity program certainly keeps everyone busy and many of our guests find that they can get quite lucky at poolside bingo!

Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We took a 1 night get away, with kids, from Orlando, and had a wonderful time! We got the ocean view on the 6th floor. There are lots of things for the kids to do rain or shine! The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are very clean. The kids love the water slide and indoor pool, video games, and the beach is right in front of us. The staff was very friendly. The kitchens are stocked with all the dishes, pots and pans that you would need! We were going to pay for another night, then realized, we had work the morning after. So, we cant wait to go back and stay for a few more days. I think we found our new vacation spot, it couldnt be any more perfect!

Room Tip: Choose ocean view! Its a slice of heaven!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sending in such nice comments and for the high ratings – however, knowing that you enjoyed your family get-a-way is the highest of compliments. Spending time together helps keep the family bonded; sharing memories of these moments will last a lifetime.

Many of our guests live nearby, just a 1-2 hour drive from Daytona Beach. A comment we hear all the time is that “just relaxing at the beach just makes getting away so easy”.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send in your kind review.
Swannanoa, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We took our kids here just about every summer while we lived in Florida . It's a great place for family. We hadn't been there in almost 17 years, our childeren now 25 and 29. But my son and his family now make a yearly trip there as they live in Florida. We moved to North Carolina but met up with my son & family for labor day weekend there. Except for a few changes it was just as we remembered it. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, the pools and slide we enjoyed as we had in the past. We could view the ocean from our balcony and watch the sunrise each morning. Took walks on the beach and ate at some very nice restuarants. We all enjoyed our time together and at the Sun Viking Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for the high rise building, ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind words – we love hearing stories of families returning to the Sun Viking Lodge.

More important than enjoying our family resort or any resort for that matter; spending time together will create memories with your grandkids that will last their lifetimes. Connecting with family trumps everything!

We are glad to read that we met your expectations and since the weather over the Labor Day Holiday weekend was perfect, we feel sure you were also able to snap a bunch of great photos!

We all look forward to your return. Thank you again for your time in sending in this review.
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Rooms & appliances are dated but for the price its a good deal. Staff were all great & were vigilant to make sure only hotel guests were on the property. Great beach access & beach. Due to the age of property it wasnt surprising that the slide & elevator broke down during our stay. Would stay again with family. Not the place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2012
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in this review. We agree with you, our beach is great!

So glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return as a family, feeling the “price is a good deal” and also rating us high in all categories.

Our staff does do a great job making sure our property is used only by our registered guests and at our family friendly property, many “freeloaders” try to sneak in and ride our popular 60-Foot Waterslide!

You may have heard of “Murphy’s Law” . . . unfortunately, when something goes wrong, it always happens at the worst time; when we are busy.

Our waterslide works all day, every day of the year but occasionally, on rare occasions, the motor burns out and must be replaced. Sadly, it happened when we were sold out. We drove to Jacksonville as soon as possible, early on Monday morning, to purchase a new pump; the waterslide was working by Monday afternoon.

Recently, both elevators’ were completely replaced with all new motors, gears, monitors, cables, everything with the exception of the interiors of the elevator cars. But as Murphy’s Law would have it, a belt on a motor broke that in turn caused a motor to fail; leaving our guests only one operating elevator. Unfortunately, the motor was not available in Daytona Beach but had to be replaced and the total repair took 72 hours.

We agree that some of our appliances should be replaced and as I write this, 10 new stoves were delivered in the past two weeks. We do check all appliances periodically to make sure they are in good working condition and if we see they need replacement, a new one is ordered.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again for your review.
Crieff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was on a road trip around Florida with my son. We deliberately didn't book any accommodation in advance, waiting to see where we would end up, and subsequently booking overnight stays at the last minute via hotels.com.

Once we realised we were going to be in Daytona we surfed all the late deals we could get. There were all manner of deals available, with all the usual Marriott's etc making good offers, but the high regard in which the Sun Viking Lodge is held on Tripadvisor led me to book this independent accommodation. Hotels.com managed to fleece me by allowing me to book an upgraded "Ocean View" room, but they failed to arrange this with the hotel, who resolutely put us into a room with a view of the car park. Now I quite accept that the error here is hotels.com, not Sun Viking Lodge. However I was hugely disappointed that the desk staff, even when I showed my booking confirmation email with evidence of my having booked an Ocean View room, refused to rearrange my room. While they were brilliant at getting hold of numbers with which to try to contact hotels.com customer service, the repeated insistence that the mistake was nothing to do with them actually became insulting and irritating. You'd have almost believed that they weren't getting any money from my booking, which of course is just not the case. Having spent ages trying (and failing) to get hold of hotels.com, and having been abandoned at the desk by the check-in staff, I decided that life was too short and that I just wanted to get into my room, any room. So I gave in.

When I read of other guests having problems and being helped so genuinely, I do feel aggrieved that I was effectively abandoned by the staff. I try to be fair and measured in my reviews, and I certainly don't hold Sun Viking Lodge responsible for the error in my booking. But I do feel their customer service in failing to help me out when I was clearly upset fell below what I would expect, especially from an establishment with a Tripadvisor award The room was clean, smelling strongly of disinfectant, with a large bedroom area, a rather dated, non flat screen TV, a dated kitchen aea and old school tiny bathroom. It was a motel room, not a hotel room, and as such was fine. But as one of seven comparably priced rooms I booked back to back over as many days it was the least impressive by some distance. I write this review in a Radisson in Orlando which cost almost to the dollar the same as the Sun Viking last night, but feels in a different league in terms of quality.

So how does this hotel get such great reviews. Or alternatively, why is my review so crabby compared to so many others? The answer must lie in expectations, I suppose. This is a resort motel, with loads going on, many things for which you'd be paying extra to keep the kids entertained. As such it represents excellent value, and the staff are a credit to the owner. So my message is to take my review with a pinch of salt if the myriad extras are important to you. But if you're looking for a quality roof over your head for a night or two, you might feel, as I do, that your money is better spent elsewhere.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send it this review.

As explained by this reviewer, he booked this room through Hotels.com who reserved a different type room with us than what they confirmed to this guest. Our front desk staff member did offer an oceanfront room and explained to the guest there would be an upgrade fee. Since the reservation was made and paid directly by the guest to Hotels.com, this needed to be corrected through them. Our clerk helped this guest by providing him with a direct contact phone number and use of our lobby phone so he could have Hotels.com give us approval for the upgrade. However, because of the lengthy time involved getting through to Hotels.com, the guest decided to take the room that they had reserved. As a suggestion, first calling a hotel direct will help a guest to decide which room type and location they prefer; we always match the online rates. I am very sorry that this guest felt it was our responsibility to absorb the cost of this error. We pay sizable commissions for referrals by travel sites like Hotels.com. Unfortunately, as small independent motel owners, we cannot afford to absorb their mistakes.

I do agree with this guest when he says we are not a Radisson, Marriott or luxury, upscale property; we offer casual accommodations in a relaxed atmosphere. We do not pretend to be anything other than a family-friendly beachside resort.

As opposed to what this guest mentions in this review; I would like to point out that there is no extra fee or charge for the many amenities we offer our guests while staying with us. Our activity program, poolside bingo, 60-foot waterslide, playground, competitive games, basketball goal, shuffleboard court, fitness room, sauna, etc. are all FREE – no extra charge.

Once again, thank you for sending in this review. Daytona Beach is a wonderful destination and does offer upscale, luxury hotels, which may be of interest to this guest.
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Viking Lodge while I was in Daytona attending to family business and for a small vacation. We stayed Fri-Thur

I first stayed at the Sun Viking when I was a wee lad about 18 years ago and multiple times over the past decade and it still has the same amazing atmosphere. The staff is wonderful and work to make sure your staff is amazing. (huge shout out to Greg). The hotel is extremely clean and kept up (Efficiency stove shows it's age, but a minor thing). Beds are comfy too!

The Kafe is a great value with good food so you don't have to leave to get lunch or breakfast if you don't want to.

As most will say, weekends are usually full with lots of families, but it settled down over the weekdays.

Can't say enough about the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. It is OUR pleasure to have such wonderful repeat guests . . . they warms our hearts.

Thank you for the compliment on Greg and the entire staff, most have been with us for years and love welcoming back our repeat guests.

You are right, Sundays through Thursdays are your best bet to avoid busier weekends and generally are more moderately priced! Yes, we agree, some of our stoves do need replacement; we currently have 2 dozen on order. Unfortunately, “metal” appliances located next to the ocean’s salt air, rust really fast needing replacement more often than you would expect. Normally, we would replace more often but with the slower economy, it has become a challenge.

Our Viking Kafe, open seasonally, serves casual poolside breakfast and lunch entrees also with lots of snacks and treats, and I agree, it makes it easy to grab a bite poolside as opposed to jumping in the car and driving to a restaurant.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send in such a nice review. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Another great vacation for the family ! This is our third year straight to stay in Daytona at Sun Viking. We love it. The atmosphere is so relaxing and my grandaughters feel so at home here. We know we dont have to worry about them and they have made some great friends that return each year also. The upgrades are awesome and love the new colors and carpeting. The staff are absolutely the best! They truly make you feel at home!
Thanks so much for the great service and hospitality!

Room Tip: Oceanfronts are worth the extra price.!!! Views are spectacular!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
How nice of this repeat guest to take the time to write such a nice review, thank you!

We were happy to read that this grandmother feels her granddaughters are happy here at the Sun Viking and that they have met new friends that they can reconnect with each year. Many of our guests say the same thing with some kids even attending colleges near each other.

I agree, we have wonderful employees; they are dedicated to making all our guests feel welcome and cared for. I was happy to read you liked the new carpeting and other new amenities and colors we recently did; we are planning a few more upgrades which are currently in the works.

Once again, thank you again for sending in such a nice review!

Been to Sun Viking Lodge? Share your experiences!