“Memories” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Asheville, North Carolina
“Memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We took our kids here just about every summer while we lived in Florida . It's a great place for family. We hadn't been there in almost 17 years, our childeren now 25 and 29. But my son and his family now make a yearly trip there as they live in Florida. We moved to North Carolina but met up with my son & family for labor day weekend there. Except for a few changes it was just as we remembered it. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, the pools and slide we enjoyed as we had in the past. We could view the ocean from our balcony and watch the sunrise each morning. Took walks on the beach and ate at some very nice restuarants. We all enjoyed our time together and at the Sun Viking Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for the high rise building, ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind words – we love hearing stories of families returning to the Sun Viking Lodge.

More important than enjoying our family resort or any resort for that matter; spending time together will create memories with your grandkids that will last their lifetimes. Connecting with family trumps everything!

We are glad to read that we met your expectations and since the weather over the Labor Day Holiday weekend was perfect, we feel sure you were also able to snap a bunch of great photos!

We all look forward to your return. Thank you again for your time in sending in this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Rooms & appliances are dated but for the price its a good deal. Staff were all great & were vigilant to make sure only hotel guests were on the property. Great beach access & beach. Due to the age of property it wasnt surprising that the slide & elevator broke down during our stay. Would stay again with family. Not the place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2012
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in this review. We agree with you, our beach is great!

So glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return as a family, feeling the “price is a good deal” and also rating us high in all categories.

Our staff does do a great job making sure our property is used only by our registered guests and at our family friendly property, many “freeloaders” try to sneak in and ride our popular 60-Foot Waterslide!

You may have heard of “Murphy’s Law” . . . unfortunately, when something goes wrong, it always happens at the worst time; when we are busy.

Our waterslide works all day, every day of the year but occasionally, on rare occasions, the motor burns out and must be replaced. Sadly, it happened when we were sold out. We drove to Jacksonville as soon as possible, early on Monday morning, to purchase a new pump; the waterslide was working by Monday afternoon.

Recently, both elevators’ were completely replaced with all new motors, gears, monitors, cables, everything with the exception of the interiors of the elevator cars. But as Murphy’s Law would have it, a belt on a motor broke that in turn caused a motor to fail; leaving our guests only one operating elevator. Unfortunately, the motor was not available in Daytona Beach but had to be replaced and the total repair took 72 hours.

We agree that some of our appliances should be replaced and as I write this, 10 new stoves were delivered in the past two weeks. We do check all appliances periodically to make sure they are in good working condition and if we see they need replacement, a new one is ordered.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again for your review.
Crieff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was on a road trip around Florida with my son. We deliberately didn't book any accommodation in advance, waiting to see where we would end up, and subsequently booking overnight stays at the last minute via hotels.com.

Once we realised we were going to be in Daytona we surfed all the late deals we could get. There were all manner of deals available, with all the usual Marriott's etc making good offers, but the high regard in which the Sun Viking Lodge is held on Tripadvisor led me to book this independent accommodation. Hotels.com managed to fleece me by allowing me to book an upgraded "Ocean View" room, but they failed to arrange this with the hotel, who resolutely put us into a room with a view of the car park. Now I quite accept that the error here is hotels.com, not Sun Viking Lodge. However I was hugely disappointed that the desk staff, even when I showed my booking confirmation email with evidence of my having booked an Ocean View room, refused to rearrange my room. While they were brilliant at getting hold of numbers with which to try to contact hotels.com customer service, the repeated insistence that the mistake was nothing to do with them actually became insulting and irritating. You'd have almost believed that they weren't getting any money from my booking, which of course is just not the case. Having spent ages trying (and failing) to get hold of hotels.com, and having been abandoned at the desk by the check-in staff, I decided that life was too short and that I just wanted to get into my room, any room. So I gave in.

When I read of other guests having problems and being helped so genuinely, I do feel aggrieved that I was effectively abandoned by the staff. I try to be fair and measured in my reviews, and I certainly don't hold Sun Viking Lodge responsible for the error in my booking. But I do feel their customer service in failing to help me out when I was clearly upset fell below what I would expect, especially from an establishment with a Tripadvisor award The room was clean, smelling strongly of disinfectant, with a large bedroom area, a rather dated, non flat screen TV, a dated kitchen aea and old school tiny bathroom. It was a motel room, not a hotel room, and as such was fine. But as one of seven comparably priced rooms I booked back to back over as many days it was the least impressive by some distance. I write this review in a Radisson in Orlando which cost almost to the dollar the same as the Sun Viking last night, but feels in a different league in terms of quality.

So how does this hotel get such great reviews. Or alternatively, why is my review so crabby compared to so many others? The answer must lie in expectations, I suppose. This is a resort motel, with loads going on, many things for which you'd be paying extra to keep the kids entertained. As such it represents excellent value, and the staff are a credit to the owner. So my message is to take my review with a pinch of salt if the myriad extras are important to you. But if you're looking for a quality roof over your head for a night or two, you might feel, as I do, that your money is better spent elsewhere.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send it this review.

As explained by this reviewer, he booked this room through Hotels.com who reserved a different type room with us than what they confirmed to this guest. Our front desk staff member did offer an oceanfront room and explained to the guest there would be an upgrade fee. Since the reservation was made and paid directly by the guest to Hotels.com, this needed to be corrected through them. Our clerk helped this guest by providing him with a direct contact phone number and use of our lobby phone so he could have Hotels.com give us approval for the upgrade. However, because of the lengthy time involved getting through to Hotels.com, the guest decided to take the room that they had reserved. As a suggestion, first calling a hotel direct will help a guest to decide which room type and location they prefer; we always match the online rates. I am very sorry that this guest felt it was our responsibility to absorb the cost of this error. We pay sizable commissions for referrals by travel sites like Hotels.com. Unfortunately, as small independent motel owners, we cannot afford to absorb their mistakes.

I do agree with this guest when he says we are not a Radisson, Marriott or luxury, upscale property; we offer casual accommodations in a relaxed atmosphere. We do not pretend to be anything other than a family-friendly beachside resort.

As opposed to what this guest mentions in this review; I would like to point out that there is no extra fee or charge for the many amenities we offer our guests while staying with us. Our activity program, poolside bingo, 60-foot waterslide, playground, competitive games, basketball goal, shuffleboard court, fitness room, sauna, etc. are all FREE – no extra charge.

Once again, thank you for sending in this review. Daytona Beach is a wonderful destination and does offer upscale, luxury hotels, which may be of interest to this guest.
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Viking Lodge while I was in Daytona attending to family business and for a small vacation. We stayed Fri-Thur

I first stayed at the Sun Viking when I was a wee lad about 18 years ago and multiple times over the past decade and it still has the same amazing atmosphere. The staff is wonderful and work to make sure your staff is amazing. (huge shout out to Greg). The hotel is extremely clean and kept up (Efficiency stove shows it's age, but a minor thing). Beds are comfy too!

The Kafe is a great value with good food so you don't have to leave to get lunch or breakfast if you don't want to.

As most will say, weekends are usually full with lots of families, but it settled down over the weekdays.

Can't say enough about the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. It is OUR pleasure to have such wonderful repeat guests . . . they warms our hearts.

Thank you for the compliment on Greg and the entire staff, most have been with us for years and love welcoming back our repeat guests.

You are right, Sundays through Thursdays are your best bet to avoid busier weekends and generally are more moderately priced! Yes, we agree, some of our stoves do need replacement; we currently have 2 dozen on order. Unfortunately, “metal” appliances located next to the ocean’s salt air, rust really fast needing replacement more often than you would expect. Normally, we would replace more often but with the slower economy, it has become a challenge.

Our Viking Kafe, open seasonally, serves casual poolside breakfast and lunch entrees also with lots of snacks and treats, and I agree, it makes it easy to grab a bite poolside as opposed to jumping in the car and driving to a restaurant.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send in such a nice review. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Another great vacation for the family ! This is our third year straight to stay in Daytona at Sun Viking. We love it. The atmosphere is so relaxing and my grandaughters feel so at home here. We know we dont have to worry about them and they have made some great friends that return each year also. The upgrades are awesome and love the new colors and carpeting. The staff are absolutely the best! They truly make you feel at home!
Thanks so much for the great service and hospitality!

Room Tip: Oceanfronts are worth the extra price.!!! Views are spectacular!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
How nice of this repeat guest to take the time to write such a nice review, thank you!

We were happy to read that this grandmother feels her granddaughters are happy here at the Sun Viking and that they have met new friends that they can reconnect with each year. Many of our guests say the same thing with some kids even attending colleges near each other.

I agree, we have wonderful employees; they are dedicated to making all our guests feel welcome and cared for. I was happy to read you liked the new carpeting and other new amenities and colors we recently did; we are planning a few more upgrades which are currently in the works.

Once again, thank you again for sending in such a nice review!
Tampa, Fl.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Another great vacation spent at the Sun Viking Lodge. As the kids get older and can roam about by themselves to the activities, it is even better. The place is safe and the people are great. Pool and waterslide never get old. There is always a staff member close by to help with what ever is needed. We stay Sun-Fri to avoid the weekends which seem to be a little more crowded. The beach was perfect this year. The water was surprisingly very chilly, but refreshing and crystal clear. There are so many places on Daytona beach and they all look great from the outside, but really we have no reason to book anywhere else and take a risk at having a bad experience.
The new beds and linens and carpeting in the rooms was a nice welcoming addition as we walked in. One negative was the kitchen in our ocean front efficiency. The stove was very old and needs to be replaced. We actually had the same room this year as last year and remembered that problem. We grill most of the dinners, but the few times we used the stove was a challenge, but we made do.
Can't wait until next year.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower, 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to send in this review. We have owned the Sun Viking Lodge for over 41 years. Welcoming back repeat guests and families is one of the biggest compliments we could receive. Sharing family memories while on vacations will last in the hearts and memories of these children for the rest of their lives. What better time can you spend but with family?

We are glad to hear you enjoyed some of the new items we recently added to our guest rooms; all new carpeting, beds, sofa beds, bed linens, and drapes. We agree, some of our stoves do need replacement – and as I write this, my husband Gary told me he has 2 dozen on order. Unfortunately, “metal” appliances located next to the ocean’s salt air, rust really fast needing replacement more often than you would expect. Normally, we would replace more often but with the slower economy, it has become a challenge.

Again, it’s such a nice compliment from this guest to return year after year – it warms our hearts, thank you!
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just visited the Sun Viking Lodge for the first time with my daughter and her 4 children. I was quite pleased with the helpfulness of the staff and their wonderful attitudes toward the children. Every staff person we encountered was very helpful and friendly. The kids absolutely LOVED the outdoor pool and slide......and boy did they sleep well at night! We had a minor medical situation while there and the manager on duty, Greg, was very attentive and handled the situation with professionalism. We were only there 2 nights but we can't wait to go back. Already starting to plan the next trip there. Just a few words of advice......this is a place that caters to families .....if you prefer not to be around children try another motel. I would not want to book a room here expecting a quiet time around the pool.........But it was exactly what we were looking for with the 4 children.
Sharon

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
First I would like to thank this first time guest for staying at our Sun Viking Lodge and I was happy to hear they had a great time. It was nice to read that their kids LOVED the outdoor pool and waterslide . . . and yes, I agree, the waterslide always helps kids sleep well! We do cater to many families with children during the summer when schools are out; once kids are back in school we mainly cater to couples, seniors and families with young children not in school yet.

We certainly agree that our employees are “responsive” and they do sincerely care deeply for our guests and their comfort and needs. It certainly warms our hearts to read of how much this guest and their family enjoyed their first stay with us.

Again, I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in this review and we all look forward to welcoming them back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Been to Sun Viking Lodge? Share your experiences!