“Better than Expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
Georgia
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

After reading several reviews, I was very unsure about what we'd find when we arrived for Memorial Day weekend. We were pleasantly surprised with what we found.

Check in was a breeze. There were no problems at all with us checking in early. Lobby was simple, but nice and clean. Elevators were a bit slow but was expected from an older hotel.

1st room we were in had some issues with the A/C unit but it was immediately rectified by maintenance. We wound up having to switch rooms because of a continued problem with it but our concerns and needs were instantly addressed by the front desk staff with no problems or attitudes.

Beds were extremely comfortable. WiFi was impossible to connect to in the rooms, never tried it out in the common areas. Pool area and beach access were clean and the balconies offered great views of the ocean. Barbara the Tiki Bar bartender was absolutely fabulous... great drinks and great conversation.

No issues with checkout... just remember to ask them to take the room safe charges off if you don't use it.

Remember this is NOT a luxury hotel. It was clean, affordable and PERFECTLY located to the boardwalk, Ocean Center and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
tpeets67, Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are always trying to improve however we can. On your next trip
please stop in and say hi to me.

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Mayan Inn i thought was good value for money, good location, bar next door is a bit loud, we had a balcony room that over-looked it, but it never bothered us
The complimentary breakfast is ok, staff more than helpful
We had a 2 double bed room on the 7th floor, basic but ok
My friend's 2 teenage children who live close by come and stayed for 2 days
Very close to everywhere
If you do not have a great deal to spend on a vacation then the Mayan is ok value for money

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

As stated in the title, the location is great as it's within walking distance of the boardwalk. The room was fairly clean, if you leave the restroom out of the picture. At first glance, the pool looked well maintained, however, when we went to swim there was debris in the bottom including a feminine/sanitary item! We got about 3 hours of sleep, thanks to the carrying on party in the room next door...It took the management until 4:00 a.m. to remove them. (We had to go down to the desk and make numerous complaints in person, as the staff wouldn't answer the phone.) Also, not a big deal, but an additional $5 fee to park there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

OMG! I was hesitant on booking this hotel after reading past reviews. But I called the front desk and the girl who answered the phone advised me that the bar an grill next door was closed and they recently renovated the hotel. So I said Ok, I booked two nites with my mom who lives on the Gulf coast of FL and I am coming to visit from Phoenix. My mom needed to get away. We drive there, which was only 2 hrs and as soon as well pulled into the driveway, I was like, what did I book. You could tell the building was run down. We go inside and the woman at the front desk was less than friendly(I think her name was Joann). Lobby looked ok,, windows were dirty and the elevators were pretty dirty too. We had requested the 2nd floor with ocean view. We get off the elevator just looked at each other...no carpeting in the hallways. Our room was right across from the elevator. We opened the door and our mouths just drop. Talk about being disgusting! The doorknob to the balcony was shifted so full daylight shown in. We open the balcony door an the bar and grille was up and running with music playing. I could only imagine what it was like at night. I called the front desk an told them this was not acceptable an they upgraded us to oceanfront on the 7th floor. My mom and I said ok. We get up to the room and it was just as bad or worst. There was a dead moth and roach on the floor and white stains on the carpet. I go into the bathroom and there is hair and dirt on the floor in the corners of the shower. I look up and there is mold around the grout line of the shower and the shower curtain was covered in mold. Also, the pool was green! Needless to say we immediately checked out and received a full refund. I doesnt pay to cut cost on having a decent room. I told my mom who is 70 that I should have listened to trip advisor as I have in the past. I hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: The Hampton Inn was great/free breakfast, great!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We booked this hotel with Thomascook Flexibletrips in June 2010 as we knew it was going to be a busy weekend with the Rolex 24hr race on at the Speedway.We arrived after a long flight from the U.K. on 28th jan 2011 .to be informed that the Hotel had no booking for us,even though i had a copy of the confirmation invoice.To cut a long story short the lady at the desk was fantastic and found us a room at another hotel up the road in Ormond Beach!We would have loved to stay at the Mayan inn,but were unable to as Thomas cook did not BOOK IT for us!I have contacted Thomas cook a number of times and they just dont want to know!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I recently stayed here with a group for a conference! We decided to stay here for the location on the beach! The beach was beautiful and you could see the ocean beautifully. The room was fine, better than some beach hotels we have stayed at. The bar next door was really loud but what more can you expect next to a bar during spring break! The pool was nice and the breakfast was fine! I would stay again for the weekend because the location on the beach was outstanding!

Room Tip: Ask for the side of the hotel opposite of the bar
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Hotel was a little older but a good value for the money. Location is great, and you don't really have to drive anywhere. Breakfast is limited, but who cares it was good and free. The only people who complain about the breakfast are the fat people who like to eat a lot. People who are anal retentive and picky should not stay here. If you want to pay 3 times the amount with the same view go right ahead. It is an awesome hotel at a good price and location. Employees were cool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mayan Inn? Share your experiences!