“Horrible staff management” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Horrible staff management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

First I would like to say there is a major lack of communication here. The man (mgr) on the phone who reserved my stay told me 440. I said "great". When we got there a few weeks later, there was a lady in the office who told me a discounted price of 220 because she had accidentally rented our room to someone else, and offered me the suite which was the only room left available....so naturally I'm like " Are you sure?" She tells me that's what she was told to charge me, and she showed me my resevation card which confirmed this. So I'm thinking ok, and I paid her. Well after three days the manager must have popped in was going over things, and he calls me while we were out and tells me there was a mistake, and I owe $200 more or I can leave tonight. I told him I had a reciept that i would show to authorities, and it was a done deal. When i got back tot the room, my things had been gone through, and my reciept was taken from my bag of luggage! Above all of this, we had dead bugs in the room in the kitchen cabinets, and refrigerator...YUCK. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Albany, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

I should have known it was a mistake when it took 7 calls to nail down the manager for a reservation. Our reservation was for after Bike Week had ended. Upon arrival, we were told by a girl in the office that our room was $457 for 2 nights. We'd been told $60 per night. They honored this even though they don't give confirmation numbers or written confirmation in any form so I had no proof.

The room was very clean, even though the furniture was not in good shape. And the air conditioner did work well. Those are the only 2 good things about it.

The first night, someone in a nearby room had burned food and our room smelled horribly of burned food and room freshener that they had sprayed in our room.

As in previous reviews, the second night when we arrived back at 11 PM, there wasn't a towel in the room and noone in the office to contact.Clientele didn't make us feel safe.

I urge you not to stay here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Smell and lack of towels
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Crystal River, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2006

I have stayed at this little motel many times in the distant past. Each time it has been a reliable, clean and frugal stay. Historically it has been family owned, but right now it has a resident manager and the owner drops by. He needs to stay longer, because his guests are not quite getting the service I believe he thinks they are getting. Staff is friendly, but not real clued into service, had to ask for clean towels, etc.
Stayed in a room with kitchen, used to have a oven as well, but now just a top burner and microwave, toaster,coffeepot, and standard refrigerator, so convenient if you are on a budget and/or dont wish to eat out every night. Kitchen sparsly furnished, but usable. ( I cook ahead of time in the comfort of my own kitchen, and reheat it there). The end rooms upstairs give you a little more view and more privacy on the balcony. Room 14 is a two room suite.
We paid $50 per night, the beach access was a little walk further than in the past, due to construction which has changed the topography. The Sunglow Fishing Pier, adjacent the beach access, is very convenient, bring your poles! There is also a restaurant on the Pier, serving B, L,& D, which we did not have time to try, but were told the food was good. It was always busy. I can recommend Aunt Catfish's for a great meal.
This section of town is a bit quieter than the north end, but that is about to change forever with all the building going on, sorry to say. Its turning into Miami Beach, high rises everywhere. Very sad, I fear what will happen with the next big storm.

Been to Famous Shores Motel? Share your experiences!