“Fantastic Hotel - do not be put off by the bad reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Ocean Walk to your Saves list
Wyndham Ocean Walk
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 N. Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118 (Formerly Ocean Walk Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #55 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic Hotel - do not be put off by the bad reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

I am really suprised by some of the reviews as I had a great experience here. I paid about £80 per night (lastminute[-]) for a 3 night stay in a one bedroom apartment on the 9th floor with a sea view.

I cannot fault the room at all apart from a couple of stains on the carpet it was immaculate and so were all the linens, I had so many towels I didn't know what to do with them! The living area was spacious and the dishwasher, fridge freezer, tumble dryer and washer were new and perfect - they even supplied washing powder. All the plates and silverware were good too.

The location cannot be better, Bubba Gumps was good as was Mai Tai cocktail bar. If you fancy something a little more sophisticated I would reccomend the supper club which reminded me of a trendy soho bar - a 5 minute walk.

I had a facial in the vaction therepy spa - it was expensive but FAB, I would reccomend you treat yourself ladies!

My only complaint with this hotel is the same old issue that always comes up with the sun beds around the pool! Unless you grab one at 8am forget it. However this is not really the fault of the hotel more the selfish guest who leave their stuff by the pool ALL day then spend 2 hours there! The beach is good but rentals are pretty expensive.

1,356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

This place is fabulous. My husband and I were there for 3 nights with our 4 chldren. We would have stayed longer if we could. This resort has everything you need. We never had to leave the resort. Everything we needed was within walking distance. (we brought our own groceries and cooked our own meals) My children..ages 11, 9, 6, and 2 all had activities to entertain them whenever they were tired of the beach or pool..which wasn't often. The whole resort is A+++. A pleasant surprise around every corner. We can't wait to go back again. The beach is gorgeous and clean. The pools were immaculate and so enjoyable for all of us. The game room for the kids was perfect. The pier is beautiful! I can't say enough great things about it. If you are planning a trip here--you can email me with any detailed questions! I researched so many hotels and resorts before we traveled this year--I hope I can reassure you about this. We stayed in a 2 bed/2bath in the south tower.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

I would never voluntarily go to Daytona on vacation.It's Spring Break all the time! We were there to attend a wedding. This is probably the best place to stay in Daytona. We had an ocean view room. The facilities are awesome. We were there when the entire place was booked. The staff was great. We got housekeeping services every day. They came to the door and asked if we needed anything, wanted the beds made and gave us fresh towels. This is a condo so you shouldn't expect daily maid service. You have a washer and dryer and kitchen. We prepared two meals a day and snacks. The pool area is beautiful, but was extremely crowded. In the morning we had to run downstairs to stake out a chair. If you're not down there by ten, you won't get one. The DJ was there all day and the music was too loud.
The concierge was very helpful. She obtained dinner reservations for us on Thursday night. Every restaurant was booked and had an hour wait, yet she found us somewhere with only a 15 minute wait. Be sure to book dinner reservations early in the day, otherwise you'll have a long wait. Also, people come here to party. At 3 am we were awakened by a drunken party next door..cheerleaders on the balcony! We called security and they took care of it right away. If you're looking for quiet or relaxation, this is not the place for you.
If you're looking for somewhere to bring the kids, where there will be plenty for them to do, it'll be a great experience. Also, a word of warning. Check out time is 10 am. Imagine 300 families trying to leave the hotel at the same time, and the elevators are slow. Check out by 9am and you won't have a problem.

Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Let me start by saying that Ocean Walk has lots going for it, many people there seemed to be having a great ol’ time, and my kids (son age 10, daughter age 6) both loved the place. Ocean Walk is probably one of the best resorts in Daytona Beach, and with certain…..”corrections”…. it could be one of the nicer resorts in the state.
BUT… there are certain things that keep it from being the premier resort that I expected and like I have enjoyed elsewhere, and I am not sure that those “corrections” can be effected. But let’s start with the

PROS
-------
POOLS – Two outdoor, two indoor, one Lazy River (the four pools are a good size, Lazy River not such a good size) Water slide on one end of the pool area, kiddy play area (small slide, lots of sprinklers) on the other.

BEACH– There is very little beach in Daytona that cars are NOT allowed to be on (Why anyone would want to sit next to their car while on a beach is beyond me, why anyone would want to sit by someone ELSE’s car on a beach is beyond sanity) Fortunately, no cars allowed on this section of beach)

ROOMS/SUITES – Spacious, nicely decorated, and well appointed (with the exception of surprisingly small TV’s, in comparison with everything else – but we weren’t there for the TV anyway)

STAFF– Everyone we had dealings with was courteous and professional, though unlike other resorts we have stayed at, never felt anyone was “personally interested” in the guests

OTHER leisure facilities – Well appointed exercise room, game room, pool table, computers, spa all on premises

CONS
-------
HOUSEKEEPING – non-existent during my stay. Over 50,000 Fairshare points to stay here, and didn’t even get a “trash and tidy” ONCE.

FOOD – There is a coffee shop here; it is not table service, and quality is barely a cut above fast-food. One would think that a 4-star resort would have at least a 3-star restaurant. And the prices are ridiculous, for the quality. Four bucks for a hot dog with nothing (no fries, no kraut, no nothin’) at the poolside grill, and it’s bland as all get out. First high-end, “full service” resort I have been to without a full serve restaurant.

BEACH – Early every morning, a chair-and-umbrella rental place sets out their furniture across the entire width of the hotels beachfront, about 2 feet between set-ups, taking up the entire “front row” of the beach (you know, the high tide line, the closest bit of soft sand to the water). They then wait to rent the set-ups to people throughout the day. If you are unable or unwilling to drop $25 for the day, or if you just prefer a sheet on the sand to a lounge and umbrella, you have to either go past the hotels boundaries, or sit behind the huge furniture, having it block your view of the water. Or sit in the wet sand in front of the furniture - not too comfy

LIFEGUARDS – saw the highchairs, but never saw a guard on them during our entire stay. Not comforting with small kids, considering the strength of Daytona Beach currents.

NOISE – EVERY day, for four hours in the middle of the afternoon (about 11 to 3) DJ’s set up speakers about half the size of a Volkswagen, on a balcony in the center of the pool area. They play music, one of them sings to his own electric piano accompaniment (I would tell him “not to give up his day job”, but it IS his day job ! ) and they blast the volume so loud that we could hear it way down on the beach, one hotel away. Poolside, you have to shout to have a conversation, except at the very far ends of the pool. I am not a loud music hater by any means, but these guys NEVER TAKE A BREAK. Those of us who like to be able to converse a bit don’t get anytime at all during those 4 hours, which I think is grossly unfair. If one wants to hear music non-stop, and there is no DJ playing, one can always use an iPod, or walkman. If one wants to hear only the ocean, or your own conversation (or your kids calling for you from the pool?) there is no “iPod for silence”. All management would have to do to be fair to all is let the DJ take a break for 15 minutes an hour. (I talked to the DJ – management insists on non-stop music)

ELEVATORS – Two towers. Approximately 300 rooms per tower. Only four elevators per tower. Do the math. (You’ll have plenty of time while you’re waiting for an elevator to arrive, or while riding up or down from a high floor.)

CHECK IN. – Even if your room is ready, you will NOT be allowed to check in to your room before 4 pm. You can check in to the hotel earlier, and get your wristband to use the facilities, but you still have to go back to the desk at 4 pm to get your room card. The day we checked in, so did 238 other rooms. You can guess what the line was like. Makes no sense at all not to let people have their room early if it is ready when they arrive.

CHAIR CONTEST – The pool deck closes for cleaning between 6 am and 8:15 every morning. At about 7:45, people start milling about (not lining up – MILLING – there’s a difference – lining up implies order, courtesy, respect for first come first serve) the entrances to the pool area. At 8:15, the security guards – yes, SECURITY GUARDS – who have been keeping people off the deck step back, and the race for a chair is on. Within 3 minutes, all lounges and tables are saved. You wont be able to get one until late morning or early afternoon if you aren’t there by “opening bell”

CROWDS – Despite all these great facilities, they DO NOT SUPPORT THE POPULATION. And this is not something that should be excused just because it was peak time; we ALWAYS travel at peak times (I work for the schools, and have two kids in elementary school – only take vacations at peak times – Spring Break, President’s Week, etc) and this is the worst overcrowding I have seen anywhere, except possibly the Jersey Shore on 4th of July weekend. This place has been OVERBUILT. Too many rooms, the towers are too high (they also put the pool in shade by 1 pm, and the BEACH in shade by about 3:30 pm), and there is no feeling of spaciousness or leisure to the place; rather, it is more FRENETIC than relaxing.

I guess that last bit is a Con more from Personal Preference – not everyone wants relaxation at a high-end resort, and The Crowd here certainly seemed to like the frantic pace. The general population here seemed not so much a Young Spring Breaker crowd - more like a Carnival crowd. Not seedy, but certainly more tacky than we are used to in a high-end resort.But I guess htis is not as high-end as I first believed.

atlanta,georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

This is a great resort. It had plenty of places and activites within walkin distance. The resort gives you a tropical feeling as you walk into the lobby. You can see the pool through the glass in the lobby. Check-in took only a few minutes and we were in our room in no time. You have the choice to park on your floor through the parking garage, so unloading and loading the car wasn't that bad. The beach was nice and clean. There was a few shells that you walk on as you walk towards the ocean, but no large trash and debri. The pools were nice, a little crowded at times but they still were pretty fun. There is a water slide that empties into the pool fot the kids. You will find yourself walking to places a lot when you are there because almost everything is within walking distance (restaurants, shops, movie theater, go-karts, etc.). The only thing I didn't like was the soapy smell in the mornings when you go outside on your balcony, i think it was the pool. Overall, this is a great resort for the whole family.

• Stayed July 2005
north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

1 bedroom unit was great. Clean, great view of the ocean. Great location. A ton of things for children to do. Ate at Adobe Gilas next door and it was very good. Diner across the street good for breakfast

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

The place fantastic, wonderful pool and the beach... That't it!

Over a week ago I stayed at this hotel for five days 3.26.-3.31.
After we checked in we noticed that the room was not properly inspected.
First of all the one of the cabinet in the bathroom was missing, the roller blind (curtain)
that was covering the washer and dryer were broken, the disposal waste in the kitchen
was not working, since it was full of silverware and thrash. In addition the nightstand in the
living room was missing a leg.
Two hours after we checked in we called the front desk and put in a claim for replacing the little
table in the living room. Unfortunately, it took over 3 hours and nobody showed up. Therefore we called
again and they told us that next day someone form maintenance will come and replace it.
On Monday morning someone from maintenance showed up, took the table, told us that we will get another
one soon, but it never happened...

On Friday after a very nice stay at the resort, and very wonderful vacation, we were sure that we would come back again.
However, on the 4th of April my credit card was charged 430 dollars, and I really thought that was a huge misunderstanding!
I called the hotel and talked to the clerk from accounting, they said that the charge was because of damage to the the room
and they listed 4 things that were missing or broken, the missing cabinet in the restroom,
broken stereo (that we never had in our room), broken curtain.
I was told that I would be transferred to the manager but I was not. They said that the manager is busy, and can call me back, but it never
happened. In addition, I requested the full list of the things that I was charged, but they refused. I also asked to send the list of the broken things
to my email, but it never happened.
Yesterday I claimed the dispute at the Bank for an unauthorized charge on my account.

EVERYBODY!! Be careful, and after checking in properly inspect your room and call the front desk! Don't do my mistake, I thought that for this quality hotel things like that just don't happen, but I was wrong..............

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Wyndham Ocean Walk? Share your experiences!