“Conflicted feelings!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Ocean Walk to your Saves list
Wyndham Ocean Walk
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 N. Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118 (Formerly Ocean Walk Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #55 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Conflicted feelings!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let me start off by saying we are owners her with Wyndham. (timeshare) this is out favorite place to vacation for several reasons. The kiddie pool area is awesome for little kids and the two large pools provide pool space for everyone even when it's super crowded. The lazy river is awesome as well. Also being close to Bubba Gumps and everything else is within walking distance. HOWEVER.... This years visit has changed my mind on the Ocean Walk and especially Wyndham. I understand we checked in right after the busiest time of year but we were treated like second class citizens for sure. I don't understand why if check in time us 4pm why we have to wait to check in for 3 hours. We booked a 2 bedroom deluxe ocean view. That does not guarantee an oceanfront. Is it too much to ask to have an oceanfront room for one week out if the year when we are paying a mortgage in this place every month? The first room they put us in was in the north tower. Now it had an ocean view but was over looking the resort next to us which was horrible. I don't want to stare at the top of a building and it's air-conditioners for 7 days. So we asked for another room and the manager (Amanda Chapman) informed us that we were just regular owners and that if we were VIP (Gold or platinum) then she could do something about it but basically we were not good enough or (paying enough) for her to be bothered by us. They ended up moving us to another room but it still was not ocean front. They never checked on us or offered anything else. By day 3 we called to see if they could bring fresh towels and sheets and freshen up the room, they told us it would be $119 out of pocket. What do I pay a maintenance fee for? I've never had this problem. Usually everything us perfect but this year I'm extremely displeased and I'm seriously considering getting rid of the timeshare or just not returning to the Oceanwalk. But if you are a regular paying customer you should have no problem. They don't treat you bad until you become an owner.

Stayed July 2014

1,358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Pros: the room was great! We had a deluxe one bedroom, our friends had the deluxe 2 bedroom suite. Both were very clean, up to date and spacious. Kitchen was well stocked with soap, detergent etc. Bathrooms had great towels. Mattress/linens were all good and plentiful. We had a full ocean front view...absolutely gorgeous.
Check in and out: quick despite long lines.
Lazy river: kids loved it. It was busy, so they had to wait to get a tube, but even so, it was great fun for all of them.
Beach: Awesome waves! Such a nice beach. Not as stunning as the Gulf beaches IMO (sand here gets hot, no shells, it's not as soft as the gulf sand). Still, a beautiful beach and loads of fun.

Cons:They tried to get us to go to the timeshare spiel, we passed on it. Our friends went and wasted all morning...they were very irritated that it went on and on and on...almost 3 hours. I'm glad we didn't waste our time.
Pool: It was crowed, which was fine. What irritated me was how dirty is was around the pool.The bathrooms were dirty too...I would walk in them without shoes on. People smoking all over the place..yuck. I wish they would keep it a bit cleaner.Trash cans were full.

I'm not sure I would return...only because I love the Gulfside so much more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Positive: we had an ocean front room on the 18th floor that was fantastic! The entire hotel and pool is very clean, and extremely well taken care of with the huge amounts of people that come through here on a daily basis. There were thousands of people there this weekend, but it didn't feel packed at all. The place is so big that there is plenty of room on the beach and at the pool. The elevators were quick and the only time you notice the big crowd is the check in line. The location is also right next to the bandstand so you can hear nightly concerts, and quite a few restaurants that are only 100 feet away. When you check in, they give you a list of all of the local restaurants and delivery options so you don't have to wonder where to go. Once you get to the check in desk, they are very personable, friendly, and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

Negative: Checking in took forever. Granted, it was the week before July 4th, but when we finally got to the front of the line, they said it's like that every weekend of the summer. We waited in line for over 30 minutes to get checked in, then they send you to another desk to get your "welcome packet" (tv channels printed on copy paper), and then listen to their spiel for another 10 minutes before getting to the room.

Biggest negative: no Wifi in the rooms. It's 2014 and there's no internet in the rooms. There is for the "owners" on the other side of the building, but if you're here renting a room, no wifi. You have to go down to the first floor lobby. That means no hulu, no netflix, just watching hotel TV, and by the way, they don't even have a tv guide channel for the upcoming shows. You just have to browse through the channels like it's 1982. To pay $250 a night for a room, I expect to have internet in the rooms.

Overall, we would definitely stay there again. I'm sure they will get wifi in the rooms by then (you would hope), and we'll know to be patient with the check in lines. We would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Get an ocean FRONT room verses the ocean view rooms. If you're going to be at the beach anyways...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear tptiburon,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are certainly glad you noticed our dedication to the upkeep and atmosphere of the property, and I will definitely share your positive comments with the team. I apologize for the longer than average time it took to check you in. Please rest assured we are fully staffed and are always striving for efficiency in our processes. Lastly, we are devising a solution for the particular set of rental units you stayed in, as it relates to wifi. We hope to have a solution very soon for this select set of units. Thank you for choosing Ocean Walk for your holiday weekend, and we hope to see you back in Daytona again soon.

Kind Regards,

Hiram, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I were gifted a stay at the Wyndham Ocean Walk in a Deluxe 1 bedroom (King) for 7 days. I enjoyed my stay - it was relaxing, fun, and there was lots to do. There were a few quirky things about the hotel that could become rather annoying.

I would suggest this hotel for a family - not necessarily a couple. It was very family oriented with a kids play room and tons of activities for families/kids.

We arrived at 3 PM and check-in time was at 4 PM on a Saturday. There was no where to park to check in so we had to wait in a line to get into the parking garage. When we finally got into the lobby (around 3:15), there were VERY long lines to check in. The lines were not labelled clearly and we had to ask around to figure out which line to stand in. I waited about 30 minutes in the first line to check-in. We were not given our keys (it was 3:45ish at the time so this was understandable) and were told we needed to go stand in another line to get some information and our parking tag. We were told they would call us when our keys are ready. The second line took no time at all but they tried to get us to go to a group meeting on ownership with Wyndham. We scheduled but never went - note that they will try to call you a few times if you miss the meeting. We floated around until 4 and stood in the line for getting the keys (also long) in hopes that they were ready. Thankfully, they called us while we were standing in line saying our keys were ready. There were two girls standing at this little kiosk handing out the keys. If they didn't have a key, they walked away from the kiosk into another room to see if they had our keys. Check-in was very mismanaged and aggravating - but I can say that the staff was friendly and polite. Everyone around us was rather angry.

Our room was WONDERFUL! It was clean, had a great view, and had a fully stocked kitchen. Everything was easy to find. We had a washer, dryer, kitchen (microwave, oven, dishwasher, full fridge, sink with garbage disposal), king bed, jacuzzi, and a nice living room area. The only bad side to the room was that it smelled stale our entire stay.

The elevators are very frustrating - so be prepared to wait up to 10 minutes for an elevator. Also have your room key in hand because you cannot go anywhere on the elevator (except to the lobby) without a room key. If you don't get your room key in and punch your floor in time, you might have a very long elevator ride as well. The priority on the elevators was very weird too - you would press the button to go up or down and you'd hear the elevators whizzing by but never stopping at your floor. The elevators in the tower near the shopping area did not have this feature and were easy to ride.

The parking garage fills up quick - go to the lower levels instead of going up. There's always one or two spots (even at 2 AM).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. I would have been a little more upset with check-in and the elevators if we had not been gifted with the stay and had to pay for those issues. Our room was much better than I expected.

Room Tip: If you get a single bedroom, make sure it's a deluxe room because it has a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Breanne C,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay with us! The Front Desk, "kiosks" you mention are an enhancement we added to provide additional stations to assist guests during high volume check in times. I am delighted that your room exceeded your expectations. Please understand that the use of a key in the elevators is an enhancement we made to provide an additional layer of security for our guests and to sustain property exclusivity to paying guests and owners. We appreciate your recent business and hope that your travels will bring you back to Ocean Walk again soon.

Warm Regards,

Starke, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I was really hoping this would be just awesome!!!! But from the moment we got to the resort it wasn't. We already anticipated the long wait to check in from reading some of the reviews and that's understandable. It took my husband an hour and a half to get our things from the car to the room. The elevators during checkin time are impossible, and you're lucky if you can get a cart to bring your stuff up to your room. Then there was the room. Housekeeping had started cleaning it but didn't finish it. And it took 2 phone calls to the front desk and 4 different staff coming to our room to get it finished and the toiletries, soap and supplies for the kitchen.
That being said, we really enjoyed the pools, lazy river and the hot tub. The beach was awesome! The location was unbeatable. Restaurants and the band shell were right next door. Grocery stores were a few miles away but easy to find. Once we got over the first day hassle we had a great time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Steph T,

Thank you for staying with us recently. While the summer months tend to bring higher volumes of people, there is certainly no excuse for your unit not being perfect when you arrived. For this, please accept my sincere apologies. I will address your concerns with our Housekeeping Department and we will use your feedback to improve. I am glad to hear that the remainder of your stay was enjoyable, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Where should I begin...Check in: we arrived at 3:05pm, they very rudely told us our room wasn't ready that it was being cleaned and that they would call us when it was ready; 1:30min later we still had not received a call, my husband went to check on the room (stood in line for an additional 10 min to get to check in desk), the woman rolled her eyes at my husband and and once again very rudely commented back that it "had just got cleaned/ready for use"...then comes the problem with the elevators, all I can say is "wow"...we waited 30 minutes to get an elevator, they have 4 elevators, but only 3 was working...the rooms are so loud you can hear everything above, below, outside your room, etc. then comes the pool, you can simply forget getting a chair by the pool unless you go down at 7am, simply not enough chairs for the volume of people...and I saved the absolute best for last, or shall I say WORST EXPERIENCE EVER....after returning from dinner the parking garage to the hotel was "full" we were told that we had to park across the road in a public parking garage, the garage across the road was ALSO FULL...where on earth were we to park!??!!!!!! My husband had to throw a fit and insist on at least letting us look for a space in the public parking, we eventually found one...the next day we had the exact same problem again, we retuned for the evening and the garage was once again full, the security guard told us we could "wait to see if there were any empty spots available after the employees left for the day"...I was astounded that a place that we paid PREMIUM RATES for made their paying customers park a half a block away while their employees parked in the parking garage...also, one last thing, forget wi-fi in the rooms...one would think that for the price of the room that wi-fi would be a "given"..even McDonalds has wi-fi..do yourself a favor SKIP THIS HOTEL, FIND YOURSELF SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear AnDunn,

Please accept my deepest apologies for the less than favorable experience you had with us. Although the hotel was busy over July 4th, there is certainly no excuse for you to perceive any of the staff as being rude. Please rest assured I will share your feedback with our team, and we will use it as a tool to improve. Regarding wifi, we do offer wifi in the Guest rooms, and do have support personnel available to assist with any issues you encountered, and regret that you were not put in touch with this service. Lastly, regarding the parking situation, please accept my apologies. July 4th weekend brings a large volume of people not only to the Resort, but area in general. Management will continue to look into options to address these isolated time periods in the area with regard to alternative parking. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Russellville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a great location the Resort is busy and can be a little over whelming. The pools are very busy due to the # of units in the complex. Parking can be tight later in the evening. The staff was helpful and very friendly no problem with any staff. Check in is at 4 and we didn't get in till a little after 5. The beach in front of resort is extremely crowded and busy but if you are willing to walk 30 yards either direction it isn't as bad. Our unit was very clean and neat without any issues. Now the elevators do get very very busy with lines waiting on a common basis. I would stay here again but keep in mind this IS NOT A HOTEL so no maid service daily so don't be shocked.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Jessie M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our helpful and friendly staff, and that your unit was clean and issue free. You are absolutely correct in saying that we do not offer daily Housekeeping service, but please note that our team is delighted to honor any special requests you may have, or bring you any items you are in need of. We hope you will afford us an opportunity to host your next stay in Daytona Beach.

Warm Regards,

Assistant Resort Manager

Been to Wyndham Ocean Walk? Share your experiences!