“Great Place for Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 370 Restaurants in Daytona Beach
Cuisines: American, Greek, Hamburgers
Little Rody
“Great Place for Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

It was Halloween 2013 and we were greeted by a waitress dressed like it was the 50's ....She looked GREAT !! with her Pink Poodle Apron and White Bobby Socks, a pink and white cap.
We had a wonderful Breakfast, My husband had an Omelet with sausage and cheese and I had Bacon and eggs with home fries. We were on Vacation But I will visit this place when we go back....Check it out !!

• Visited October 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Breakfast don't get any better than this !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I found The Gateway while in Daytona Beach using the "near me now" feature on the Tripadvisor mobile app on my iphone while driving down A1A on a cloudy overcast weekday morning... This is a true hidden gem in Daytona Beach where you can go for an old fashioned greasy spoon breakfast (or lunch), Two eggs,potatoes,sausage, biscuits, and good Coffee, and plenty of it w/ piping hot refills. The Biscuits are homemade (from scratch) served warm and are AWESOME! I would go back to the Gateway just for the biscuits! If you want new & fancy, this is not the place for you. It looks like the decor has not changed in many, many years, nor has the food or menu changed.I hope it never changes.The food is GOOD, fresh & hot. Service is down home good, fast and friendly. Not a big place, but plenty of booths & tables as well as counter seating . Very,very fair prices. At the time of my visit on a Friday morning, in the off-season I found the restaurant to be clean, and the food hot and fresh, cooked to order, as it should be! Step back into the seventies (maybe the sixties?) and eat at The Gateway! Overall rating ~ Very Good!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Savannah
“Home style with old world flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was my second trip to Gateway - first two years ago. This trip we had breakfast there twice, and lunch on our way out of town. This is a wonderful family run restaurant with charming, friendly service by all the staff.

I have yet to find anything on the menu or special board that was any less than delightful. The biscuits are unique - hot and fluffy; they are offered with hot gravy - very tempting and tasty. Eggs came cooked exactly as ordered; grits are the 'real thing' - well prepared and tasty. The homefries are a great choice as well. I favor ham and was not disappointed - tasty, fresh and a sizable serving. The coffee is hot and fresh and the cups are kept filled.

Sit at the bar, table or booth - all are comfortable. I tend to like the bar just to be near the kitchen and enjoy the comings and goings of staff, etc. - kind of nostalgic in this older building. My wife thought it was a converted gas station; maybe, but my thought was an older restaurant that has found new life for this great family and their business. Restrooms are located outside at the back of the building and are adequate.

We stopped for one last meal on our way home. I had the hamburger and fries - excellent! The 'garden' was very fresh and the plate well presented, very appetizing. I habitually do not eat all of my fries, and before I left the nice lady who runs the place with her husband sent word by the waitress that her husband wanted to know if they were OK. They were fine - but his pride was evident (he runs the kitchen) and he wanted to be sure I was happy.

Fine little old place - you won't find friendlier or more attentive service and the food is second to none. Open for breakfast and lunch only. Do NOT miss the biscuits and gravy... or French toast... or omelettes... enjoy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Holiday, Florida
“One secret to restaurant success.....they don't know it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Do you feel that the condition of the dining area, is a reflection of the condition of the kitchen? This was my thought over and over as we sat down on torn vinyl seats in our booth. The friendly waitress, whom i believe is the owner was so happy to see us on a Saturday morning. "Where is everybody" I wondered. Well the eggs were medium large, the wheat toast was average, home fries were in small numbers. My side order of english muffin was standard fare. The omelette was average, with average amount of cheese and bacon. The pancake was medium small and box-like flavor. Coffee was fair at best. As nice as the 3 workers there were, I wondered...... what were they doing when we weren't there? They weren't mopping the dirty floor, or wiping the dirt and dust off the window sills, or cleaning the outside-only bathrooms. Or even wiping off our sticky, crumb-laden table. Where's the pride? Where's the Windex? What does the inside of the kitchen look like? Does the kitchen reflect the dining area? Better hope not.....

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Marion, Ohio
“Great experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

What a wonderful surprise. We ended up here by default and were nervous when we walked in. This is a diamond in the rough. Obviously family owned and struggling. But one of the best breakfasts we have ever had. Very clean. Sweet staff and great home cooked food. Don't skip this wonderful "diner".