“Can only assume those rating this place great - never had excellent pizza” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pantheon Pizza

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery
Ormond Beach, FL
“Can only assume those rating this place great - never had excellent pizza”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Visited friends in the Holly Hill area and we ordered take out from Pantheon Pizza, which they think is pretty good and have been ordering from there for some time, as it is close to their place... The pizza was not very good, the cheese they use is like eating a rubbery fatty substance, although they do put a lot of it on the pizza, but hen it makes it harder to swallow and the salads were just OK.

Guess we better take our friends to a GOOD pizza place for comparisons, as Pantheon was quite disappointing...

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

New Smyrna Beach, FL
“'Used to be the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

For me, Pantheon pizza used to be the best pizza anywhere.
It has never been an upscale dining place. It's always been kind of a run down, neighborhood "joint". (And frankly, that's being charitable.) You certainly wouldn't go there to impress anyone. You go there for the great pizza.
This is a New England style Greek Pizza, meaning a relatively thick under crust partially cooked in a pan and then directly on the stone, and if you order pepperoni it is actually under the cheese. This style pizza usually has very browned cheese with a medium sized golden brown crust. Done properly this gives you an incredible tasting, although very greasy, firm crusted pizza. When it is cooled slightly, as you lift the pizza from it's pools of golden grease, you should be able to lift it from the crust end with the firm, though moist, undercrust almost holding it's own weight without soggily drooping down. Greek style pizzas aren't for everyone, and I have friends who have been totally grossed out by all the grease, but for me, that's part of what what made it so great.
The business was sold a few years back by the original family who started it, and the inevitable changes that come with new ownership have left a product that is for me, inferior.
I have found the pizza to be very inconsistent, with at times a sour, undercooked dough, and with a different cheese that no longer browns nicely, nor does it grease off like the old cheese. This may be a plus to some, but not for me.
The new owners are slowly trying to fix the place up, and that's a good thing.
They still seem to be doing a good, if not better business than they used to, so I don't know, maybe these changes to the pizza make it more appealing to the masses.
Although I can only give three stars for this now mediocre pizza, I will probably keep going back once in a great while, always hoping to see that it has changed back for the better.

• Visited January 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greater Cleveland
“Not very good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This place might be good for Daytona Beach. But Daytona has very little going on in the culinary world, like much of Florida. The place inside is a dumpy atmosphere. The pizza is decent, not that great, and I would definitely not go out of my way to go back. If I wanted pizza and I was in Daytona, I might consider it. The bottles of Corona are very cheap. The service was quite amusing. By the decor, the place seemed to be presenting itself as a Greek restaurant. I noticed that there was nothing really Greek on the menu, other than the gyro. I asked the server whether it was an Italian restaurant or a Greek restaurant. She was adamant that it was in fact a Greek restaurant. Well, apparently there is some confusion. Not only is the menu almost completely Italian, also the Pantheon is in Italy, not Greece.

• Visited February 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Elgin, Illinois
“SHOCKINGLY DELICIOUS AND THAT'S FROM A CHICAGOAN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

The service and food is outstanding. Yeah, the ambiance leaves something to be desired but it's a beach town, what do you want! It's clean, the prices are reasonable and the food is amazing! The pizza and Italian sub we had left nothing to be desired! Everyone knows Chicago has THE BEST PIZZA anywhere but we were very happy we found this place. Even back at home I still think about it. We WILL go back each time we visit Daytona!

Lusby, Maryland
“Delicious!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I read reviews on Trip Advisor and, since I love pizza, decided to go. It is a little scary from the outside, but I knew from other reviews it didn't look so great. It is old, but not dirty, just worn down...The waitress was super friendly. We were a party of 7, some of us got steak 'n cheese subs, a gyro, and pizzas. It was all very, very good!! No complaints. The pizza was nice and crisp, there were ample toppings...The steak 'n cheese was overflowing with meat, and very flavorful. It was definitely worth the little drive to get there!! We got 2 large pizzas, 4 sodas, 1 8" & 1 12" steak sub, a large gyro, and large fries for $45...Not too bad. Would absolutely go back!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere