“Character oozing out of this place” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 370 Restaurants in Daytona Beach
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Vegan, Vegetarian, Californian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Dessert
Daytona
“Character oozing out of this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

This is not the first time we've eaten at DAK; the food is always good and the beverages are your choice of smoothies, good coffee or custom made juices....you can add or subtract from an array of healthy shots. The service is always good....and especially when we encounter one of the servers, Ashley. She is warm with a wonderful smile on her face and quite knowledgeable. All the staff is quite friendly which is wonderful considering in tourist destinations such as this town, restaurant employees are usually nonchalant at the very least.
The owner always seems to be there and stops at our table and everyone else's. I have to give it to him: I have not been to a restaurant that has so much character!! It's not the contrived type like you would find in chain restaurants. It seems more where the owner, the staff and even the customers have added something to what it speaks of.
You must try this place at least once if you're in the area. My husband and I don't live in Daytona but we have a place on the beach that we come to every other month. So I have to come here once each visit. It's a place that makes you "happy". Just wish they would serve breakfast all day....the only thing I can complain about.
Enjoy!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
AvocadoKitchen, Front Office Manager at Dancing Avocado Kitchen, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear MellyCat,

Your review made us blush. Everything that you mentioned about your experience is everything we work so hard for you to encounter. Thank you so much for tripping out on the AvoKitchen, and shouting out your server Ashley, 'She is warm with a wonderful smile on her face and quite knowledgeable'. The owner is sad when he is out of town and not able to stop by and greet the guests at each table. Sorry about the breakfast all day, our kitchen is small and maxed out with our current menu. We may serve breakfast options all day on our future menu. Thanks for validating the Avocado Kitchen!

Searching for true health...find forgiveness!

Richmond, Virginia
“Geeked out here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I'm vegetarian and travel with my toddler (also vegetarian). We always go to a vegetarian joint any city we visit so I had to check this place out and see if it was worth the hype. Now, some places disappoint me and others blow me away. This was one of the latter...I pretty much geeked out over most of the menu. Prices were reasonable, service great, and the choices were insane. I wanted everything. To start I ordered the spicy chips (Mama Zuma's Revenge) with dips. Excellent. Then I had the VBLT (DAK Vacon & Veganaise on toasted multigrain; lettuce, tomato & avocado served w/ a cup of vegan soup). OMG...so good I could go on and on. I finished with the Island Fried Plantains which were a little disappointing in presentation but not in taste...and after that I bought some of the hand scrub from the bathroom (seriously, you need to try this stuff). All in all, a meal I wish I could repeat again soon and very much worth the time :)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear CSD & Toddler,

Thank you for visiting us, so happy we did not disappoint. We are also happy that you seemed to navigated the complexity of the menu and found all of the best items for you and your child. You did not have to take 5-10 minutes to write this review, but it means so much to our chefs and servers.

Our servers are jazzed to get you juiced!

“Hipsterish yet good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife talked me into going to this place and I originally thought, "Oh great, a hippie restaurant...". I was pleasantly surprised by the menu selection and speedy service. I can't wait to go back and try their breakfast.

Dear DoubleD88,

Wikipedia describes hipster as a subculture consisting of millennial's in a mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot, typically middle class bohemians living in gentrifying neighborhoods. The term is sometimes used pejoratively to describe somebody who is pretentious. We are unsure of whether we are hipster or not though many people, including yourself, use the term. What we do know, is that we select our staff, based first on an internal value system and then also their skill-set. They are trained with an emphasis on being thoughtful, pleasant and fast. With that, I can say "Dude, thanks for bouncing in, and grabbing some grub at the DAK."

Peace, Love & Avocado's!

Zurich, Switzerland
“great place, fantastic food, nice staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We loved the dancing avocado kitchen. Thanks to Lonely Planet, otherwise we would never have found this great place. We enjoyed the california omelett and 2 fresh smoothies, they were fantastic and made with fresh fruits. The chef was very nice too and offered us some fried bananas to try, they were great too. After the lunch we made the "bathroom experience" :-) they have such a lovely scrub soap (peeling) in their bathroom, what they sell. All in all a very nice place, good food, nice staff, we would definitively come back and recommend it.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Mrs B

Thanks for traveling half way around the world to visit Daytona Beach and, more over, for popping in to the DAK. You gave us superior ratings on your meals and beverages. We see that the time and money you spend is an investment, from all of our staff, thanks for visiting our mom and pop watering hole, and spending one of you many meals in Daytona with us. As for the bathrooms, we want to keep them clean, fresh and stocked. Yes, the lemongrass soap scrub in both the mens' and womens' bathrooms is one small way we want to give you a happy "experience."

Have everything your heart desires!

Missoula, Montana
“Expensive Juices and Fresh Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Dancing Avocado offers several Smoothies and Juices. I tried the 12 oz Kelly Green Juice and it was expensive and could not compare to the "Green" Juices that I have tasted in other restaurants. I tried the "Special" of the day and it was very tasty and reasonably priced.

No Coffee.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
AvocadoKitchen, Director of Sales at Dancing Avocado Kitchen, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear 33,

Thanks for visiting our restaurant and juice bar. There are so many variables in the food industry affecting price - global climate changes, seasonality of produce, transportation expenses, etc. Each one of our three green drinks are a custom beverage platform upon which you may build the perfect drink (depending on your taste and dietary needs).

The sweet green is a fresh apple with a large handful of spinach and a smidgen of lemon. The Kelly has apple with celery and cucumber making it celeratic. The mean green is what it is - kale and parsley are added to the apple, filling the glass with rich dark chlorophyll. These juices can be customized; we suggest that you pour your juice over a little ice and always add fresh lemon if it agrees with your palate.

Thanks for coming all the way to Florida to experience the Avocado Kitchen.