“at last a quite week stay” 3 of 5 stars

Desert Inn Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #101 of 109 hotels in Daytona Beach
Saint Augustine, Florida
“at last a quite week stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am US Navy Veteran of 20 yrs and have traveled all over the world. I stayed at 1 star establishments as well as 5 star places. the place is clean and comfortable. the staff was very friendly and accomadating. my family went during the "off" time sept 10 through the 17th. alot of the amenities where closed due to lack of bussiness but the hotel was close to things to do and aboundt of stores bars and restruants. right on the beach i am very accustomed to the high humidy being from florida my self. very pet friendly be prepared to pay a pet fee. yes the property is old and needs work but you can tell they are trying! most hotel properties have gone away and have been converted to time shares or condo's. but if you go in the high time of the year such as spring break, bike week, race week, prices will triple. but overall a good time for the money we rented two rooms ajoining each other with a kitchen. for 4 adults and two dogs.

Room Tip: call ahead and talk to one of the 3 people there at the hotel bill. wanda or alana will be glad to a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Crystal, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I had reservations at the Desert Inn. When we walked into the lobby I knew we made a mistake. The smell was terrible. We got our room key and parking pass. We parked the car and went in to find our room. When we got to our floor the hall was dark, dirty and smelled bad. We walked into our room and it was gross. The smell was so bad, We did not sit down because the room was so dirty and the chairs in the room had been cut with stuffing showing. I then pulled the sheets away from the mattress and they were brown with filth and age... We looked out on the balcony and the grounds were dirty, the outside table and chairs were also dirty. I had tears in my eyes, my husband told me that we were not going to stay. We walked next door to the Holiday Inn & Suites and booked a room with them. We then walked back to the Desert Inn and my husband went in and gave them back our key and parking pass ~ I could not go back in to that dirty smelly place again. PLEASE DO NOT BOOK A ROOM AT THE DESERT INN RESORT!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

For our nice 4 day, first stay on Daytona Beach & the Coke Zero 400 Nascar race, all was good except the motel. Built in the late 50's or early 60's, that was the last time it had paint or was cleaned, I would imagine. The mold smell & cleanliness wouldn't pass for most normal people.The website is very deceiving.. It is a shame!!! If the price was a bargain, maybe, but we paid $170.00 a night for a dump...Can't say it any other way... You have to watch it out there...Good luck on your travels....Frank

Room Tip: there is no good room!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Gastonia, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Worst Hotel I have ever seen. We arrived in Daytona beach on Aug 4, 2012, and wanted a place to spend the night before driving back to NC. I was a bit concerned when I saw the lobby, but I thought the rooms would at least be clean. We paid for an ocean front room, and they put us in a very dirty street side room at first, I called the desk to let them know this and they were supposed to call me back, after waiting for about 10 minutes and not receiving a call back, I called again, and was told to come down to the front desk and they would take care of it. They reluctantly changed our room and gave us an ocean front room. As soon as we walked in we could tell it was a smoking room, and it was very dirty looking, I went down to get our luggage, and came back up. My wife had found some nasty looking substance on the bedspread, I tried to call the front desk but the phone in the room did not work, I noticed something on the bed while I was trying to call the front desk, and realized it was a roach, I then found several more, and told my wife we were leaving, I went down to the desk with my wife and our luggage, and told them we could not stay with them. They refused to refund our money, so I had to call my bank to dispute the charge. After we left I realized I had flea bites all over my ankles from the room. The owner claims on this site that they are a 3 star Hotel, I would love to know who rated this place, as it is not even worthy of 1 star. Up until our experience with the "Desert Inn...Daytona's #1 Resort & Convention Center", I'd always wonder where the term "flea-bag hotel" came from. Now...I know. What a way to celebrate my 50th birthday.

Room Tip: Spent the extra to stay at Holiday Inn or Hilton
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

As we did not stay here this is not a review on staying. We live near and wanted to check it out, to see if the reviews were right on and believe me they were. This hotel should be banned by Daytona Beach tourist center. The place was so filthy hard to even walk thru A maid was cleaning (or so she thought she was cleaning) we walked in the room and backed out !!!!! How terrible to have this hotel in our beautiful beach. Please someone do something about this hotel.. To anyone who stays here I would hate to see where you live !!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother stay anyplace else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you stay here you are out of your mind! I have been traveling for a living for 30 years and I have to say this is the worst place I have ever stayed in. Part of the building is condemned and not usable. The indoor pool looked like it had not been cleaned in a year. The hallways were filthy as was my room. Additionally, the entire place - especially my room - smelled like mold. I walked out onto my wooden balcony and nearly put my foot through the rotten wood. The black lights above the bed and the plastic bed mattress were nice touches though. The room should have been renting by the hour not the night. The parking lots were not lighted and were creepy and unsafe. In short, this place is a hole. The only redeeming factor was the friendly staff that did its best to make the best of a horrible situation. FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO STAY AT ANY PRICE !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Alachua, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I recently moved to Central Florida and spent Memorial Day weekend on Daytona Beach, our first weekend away. The website on this hotel was extremely deceiving, hence why I made a reservation. We were to stay 2 nights, but thinking everything was booked we suffered through 1 entire night at this "rat hole" (and I'm being nice). First we were given a smoking room after requesting a non-smoking room. The door to our room wouldn't shut. The public hallway carpet was dirty and smelled like mold. We stayed away from the room as much as possible, because of the smell. I wore shoes in the room so my feet would not touch the carpet. But the worst was yet to come...when we went to bed and pulled back the sheets, they smelled of mildew.The mattress was wrapped in plastic (which crinkled everytime you moved in the bed) and was hard as a rock. The headboard on the King bed fell forward away from the wall when we sat on the bed. All of our clothes, even in our suitcase reeked of the smell. Black stuff was falling out of the AC vent in the bathroom ceiling, Television had no remote and the carpet was filthy. After the discovery of the mildewed bed, my husband found availabilty elsewhere. After a sleepless night, I paid a visit to the hotel clerk. I told her we would be checking out and she replied, there is no refund, since we were required to pay for our 2 night reservation up front. I told here yes there would be a refund. The rate for one night with tax ended up costing me $224.00. I got a refund of $156.00, which is exactly with tax what we paid the next night at the Holiday Inn (next to the Desert Inn). Your circles should go into the negative for this dump, this place should be condemned. I don't want anybody else to go through what we went through, so here's my warning...if you decide to stay at this place after reading my review...then pack cleaning supplies (to clean your own room), clean sheets for your bed and have your family fitted for gas masks so you can breathe clean air, because you won't find any of that at this place. If people will STOP staying at this place, it will soon be known as the "Deserted Inn", a much more deserving name. I'm not through yet...Chamber of Commerce of Daytona Beach will soon know how disappointed I am in this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Desert Inn Resort? Share your experiences!