“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 108 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Winnipeg
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a day trip to Daytona from Orlando. It is right on the beach, the view is gorgeous! The stairs down to the beach are well maintained. Wifi worked wonderfully, the fridge and microwave were very useful. Everything was clean, the rooms did not smell. The room was large and the beds were comfortable! It was too cold outside to use the pool but it looked clean and had a great view of the ocean!! The "sanitary remote" was perfect for any person who hates the typical gross hotel remote.

The location of the hotel was perfect. Close enough to the boardwalk and close to my favourite... Denny's (especially since there's no continental breakfast)!

I would stay here again, the employees were friendly, it had everything I needed for an affordable price. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family had a reservation for April 4-7, 2013, unfortunately we had to cancel a week before our arrival date due to my 93 year old grandmother had become critically ill & travel was not advised. I expressed this to Erica, who said she was the manager & was told that they do not issue a refund of the deposit for cancellations. I also offered to send the doctor's note that I had to obtain for our refund at another resort in Orlando we were staying at when we left Daytona but was told that it would not be accepted & still no refund was going to be issued. I have to say that I am truly disappointed that we are not only unable to have our family vacation this year but that we are unable to get the deposit back. Family has to come first. Erica also stated that she woud "pray for your grandmother but that because we are a mom & pop resort we cant be nice to everyone because we would go out of business by issuing refunds to everyone." I was highly offended by her uncompassionate attitude & unwillingness to help & be understanding in this difficult time. Giving refunds to deserving guests that have a medical emergency & unable to keep the reservation is not what is going to cause you to go out of business, it is your lack of compassion & morals that will cause you to go out of business. I did not see this policy anywhere on the website as she said it was and I was never told of this when I personally booked the reservation on the phone, although I did see it on the confirmation email. This trip was booked in early January & there was no way to know that we would have to cancel our trip that long ago. I chose this resort based on the good reviews that I read on the different sites but contrary to what some of them said, I did not find the staff to be friendly at all. I will definately pass the word onto my many biker friends that are always looking for a place to stay in Daytona. They have not only lost me as a guest but many other potential guests. I would have been willing to stay there if we had the chance to reschedule our vacation for another time but not now. I understand there are policies put in place for a reason; however there are times when legitimate reasons override the policy should the establishment allow it. Unfortunately, that is not the case here so now I am out money for a stay that is not going to happen & left with a bitterness for this resort & its staff. Please consider this review when choosing to stay at this resort, if it happened to me, it can happen to you! Erica, I can only hope for you that you are never put in this position but if you are, I hope you find that you are treated a lot better than you treated me & my family.

Christy Chavis
Virginia

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hoteldaytona, Owner at Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Ms. Chavis,

Per our previous conversation, I am truly sorry to hear of your situation and still offer my prayers and positive wishes.

I'm glad you were able to find the time during this difficult period for your family, to review our property. We appreciate all feed back.

As a small business, we must adhere to our policies. I absolutely did offer you the option to use your deposit at a later date. In cases such as yours, I offer a 30 day period and often consider longer periods for guests to make a date change.

You chose not to accept the offer. You were insistent upon a refund of the one night’s stay deposit that you were charged in accordance with our policy, at the time you made your reservation on January 14, 2013. Regarding your statement about not being aware of the policy; it was stated at the time you made your reservation on 1/14/13. It was also stated on your confirmation letter, which was emailed to you on 1/15/13, and it can be view on our home page when you click POLICY at the bottom of the page or at:

As far as your inaccurate quote, I did say that I would pray for your grandmother and I also stated that as a small family run business if I issued a refund for one person, it would not be fair if I did not issue refunds to everyone. I simply could not run a business that way. This is why we have a policy that we follow strictly. Once again, I will point out that you were offered the opportunity to change your dates. I offered what I could, to help you in a situation that is completely out of my control. You chose not to accept it.
I'm sorry to hear that you will not consider us in the future.

I do offer my best wishes to you and your family.

Kindest Regards,

Erica Obrochta
The Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn
Leesburg, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I've been coming here since 1998 with my daughter, since her graduation and my new marriage I've introduced my husband to this nice quiet place. He will not stay anywhere else when we are in Daytona, for that fact he doesn't want to go anywhere else but here. It is on the beach, you can't ask for anything better. We stay in a ground floor room, sometimes just a standard room and sometimes with a kitchenette, either way they are clean and just an all around great place to stay. If we ever have issues, they are right there helping anyway they can. They are close to gift shops, miniature golfing, restaurants all with in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Friendly service, prtil but very good view on the beach/Ocean, very large room with full kitchen, very clean.
At first the room had a strong smell of chlorine, but i went away. The A/C was not needed (it was cold actually) and I couldn't get it to warm the room in the morning. Might be me, but I was cold (that can happen in Florida in Mrch !!!)

Room Tip: Take the "efficiency" ones, a tad more expensive but a better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2013. Didn't have a reservation and took a chance based on other Tripadvisor.com reviews. We wanted to stay somewhere right on the beach that wasn't too pricey and this was it! Rooms were clean and included a king bed, sofa, 2 sets of tables and chairs, and a kitchenette. We stayed in a 3rd floor ocean view room, which is the top floor of this family-ran motel. Each room has a couple of chairs outside the door making it nice in the evening to relax right outside your room. The pool area, sun terrace and shuffleboard area are clean and very well maintained. Each morning the office had coffee and pre-packaged rolls so don't expect much for breakfast but the price at this quaint motel made it easy to spend your money for breakfast somewhere else. The only reason this motel didn't rate 5 stars is because this is a relaxed comfortable place, not a fancy full-amenity resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is 2nd or 3rd floor at least 3 or 4 rooms back from the ocean to avoid a view of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Smyrna, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are ending a most wonderful week+ again at the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn. As always, this facility is in great shape and yet the owners continue to improve it. Our weather has been wonderful even though today is cool but still in the 60s. The staff is and has always been so friendly and helpful to us and all their guests. If you are looking for a nice place to stay that is clean and neat, you should come here. We've visited the AOPI for many years and it is still the only place we will stay in Daytona. Try it and I'm sure you will like it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Orlando, Columbus, charleston, Vallejo, Warner Robins, San Diego, Grand Folks, Stafford, Powder Springs, Marietta, Ocala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I picked this hotel because it does have a view of the beach with each room. The only problem I had there was a painting crew at the time I was staying and of course they scrapped paint and painted in front of my room the whole day. I couldn't sit out side or see any view of anything but ladders and paint cloths. I had a time getting out of my room just to walk down to the beach. I told the front office people and they just brushed it off. They said "I'm sorry". I won't be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hoteldaytona, General Manager at Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Once again, I apologize that you were unhappy during your stay. We try to conduct our maintenance projects during our slower season, at times that are of the least inconvenience to our guests, during the hours of 10AM and 3PM. Unfortunately, one of these projects occurred during your 2 day stay with us. I wish you would have let us know of your disappointment sooner than when you were checking out. There are various options we could have explored to make your stay more pleasant; like asking the workers to start in another area, or help you to move to another room. I'm sorry to see that you felt like I brushed off your complaint. I am sincerely sorry you were unhappy. We like to see our guests feeling relaxed and speaking of a pleasant stay, as they are checking out. I have to admit, I was a bit surprised to hear your complaint as you were leaving. The weather was great, and the painting project that took place was done quickly and quietly. I heard of no issues from any guests during the time of your stay. I wish you would have given me an opportunity to remedy the issue you had during the course your stay. I hope you will reconsider staying with us again when you return to beautiful Daytona Beach Shores.

Kindest Regards,
Erica Obrochta

Been to Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn? Share your experiences!