“Chainsmoker’s Paradise!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Oneonta, New York
“Chainsmoker’s Paradise!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First off, if you are a chain smoker, this is **the** place for you. Smoking is not permitted in rooms, however, people simply congregate outside their rooms, outside other people’s room, at every spot at the pool, even in the breakfast room, etc. smoking away. It is not avoidable. Yet, the hotel CLEARLY is labeled online AND with at least THREE signs that it is a 100% smoke free ENVIRONMENT. Well, that is so not the case. There was no away to avoid the significant amount of people smoking. It was so bad that I could not stay at the pool with my children because there was no place to avoid the smoke. I went to the front desk to complain, but the girl at the desk said there was nothing they could do because it is “Florida law.” I explained that the hotel is advertised as smoke free, but she said that was only the rooms. I explained that the SIGNS at the pool, outside the breakfast room AND RIGHT BEHIND HER AT THE FRONT DESK emphasized the word “Environment.” She said there was nothing they could do. So I went back into my room and cried. Not quite the end of the vacation I wanted for my family. I went back to her a second time asking to speak with her manager, and she said her manager had just left but that he had also told her there was nothing they could do. She said if they told them to stop they would start again as soon as they left. UMM, maybe I’m crazy, but if you enforce no smoking IN the rooms, why not enforce it on the rest of the property?? This Econolodge clearly values the money of smokers over that of nonsmokers, and clearly does not value the right of non-smokers to attempt to enjoy the amenities it offers.

Not being able to be at the pool until there were no smokers left left very little to do at this hotel. There is not much to do around it without driving, and although the ocean is great, most of the time we don’t want to solely spend time there (plus also had to leave when someone lit a cigar.)

Also, the first night we were there I was awakened by voices and doors slamming. I at first believed it was breakfast time, but looked at my clock and it was only 2am!!! For about 40 minutes I listened to screaming, arguing, loud talking, and door slamming. I gave up waiting for them to be quiet and called the front desk. A man answered and although I explained what was going on he clearly sounded unconcerned. Fortunately, they quieted down around 15-20 minutes after that. When I complained about the smoke in the above segment to the girl at the front desk I also explained to her what had happened in the middle of the night and she said they would note it, but based on their reaction to the cigarettes I doubt they actually do anything about this.

My children and I stayed for two nights after a week-long Florida trip. This was the culmination of seeing many other types of attractions: the reward being on the beach and having a pool. Yes, I was aware that Econolodges are not known for their five star appeal, but even so, I was a bit shocked when we pulled up. There is virtually no parking, and what parking there is, if lucky enough to get any, often requires gymnastic level parking skills. If you cannot find parking in the small lot, you must park across the street in what is marked as a Holiday Inn lot. Definitely a bit uncomfortable crossing the road and the parking area across the street was a bit sketchy. Check in was uneventful, but I also went into shock when we first walked in. One of the walls was this very old looking white brick. Rugs were not vacuumed around edges and had an accumulation of gunk. Windows and some of the paint was very old looking. The bathroom was small, but surprisingly clean and cute. It looked relatively new. Beds and pillows were very comfortable.
Breakfast was sub-par with plain white bagels, a muffin (both in cellophane), I believe two cold cereals, orange juice, and coffee. The breakfast room was kind of nice otherwise. The pool, hot tub, location, and ocean accessibility are wonderful, but are really only tolerable if you are a chronic chain smoker. We did do laundry at this property, which was actually kind of scary because they had the hotel dryer in that room separated by a sheet from an area where I guess they did some of their other laundry or whatever, and since you didn’t know if someone was behind the sheet, it was unnerving.

I had the same check-out girl I had had at check in, and when I complained about the cigarettes, and was disappointed I was not even offered any refund. I have contacted choice hotels and am still awaiting a response. Since I tend to only utilize choice hotels, I am even more disappointed because otherwise I could have found a better property for about what I paid.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We like this place because it is small so the pool was never really crowded, and the pool was quite nice The hotel is right on the beach for easy access, and because it is away from the bigger hotels the beach was less crowded (even during Spring Break). The motel is older, but the rooms were refreshingly cleaner that we expected which made us appreciate the accommodations more - and we'd do it again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is straight out of the 70's. It needs major renovation throughout. The bathrooms are horrible. The cleaning staff is ridiculous. Did not clean every day. Come back to the hotel after a long day to a dirty room. The toilet was not cleaned the entire week we were there. The pool and hot tub upkeep is comical. Steve and his workers were great to work with. They listened to the complaints with no results as promised. Choose a different hotel unless you like the retro, dirty look and feel. Breakfast was terrible as well. The housekeeping was the worst I have ever experienced at a hotel. Loved the beach and great location. Will never, ever stay here again. Sorry Steve, you seem to be a nice guy but you need to take control of your housekeeping crew.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room that faces the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I will admit I was a bit apprehensive when we pulled in the parking lot. You can see that this hotel isn't as prominent as other hotels on the strip. Also it was Spring Break and I didn't even realize it. We checked in and our room was on the first floor. It had a kitchenette, which I didn't even realize. It was very clean and the kids there weren't a problem. We were right on the beach and it was beautiful! I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Titusville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I reserved this room for 3 nights on bookit.com at 59.00 a night last month as we were on a 5 city, 2 week run. when I showed up on arrival night at 7:30 pm, the clerk seemed to think I had already checked in ??. I got the key and looked at the room, then ask for another room cleaner, without smell, with out sticky carpet, etc. and was told they were full,. so we unloaded all our luggage from our previous 8 day run of stops.My wife and I went to supper and we talked about it and decided no way we could stay there and went back and repacked and turned the keys in and told the clerk I would pay for the night but would not stay there.
We found a room at the other end of the strip (north end) and stayed at the Royal Floridian Resort for 89.00 a night (even with race week going on) which was very nice and very clean. I would rate it at 4 stars for us, and to walk in off the street without reservations was super great.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

we stayed here for three days next to the beach watching sun rise sitting in the Jacuzzi. just enjoying the warm weather, the room was clean and comfortable the staff was kind,the boardwalk was very small and a lot of stores are not opened late

Room Tip: ask for beach front rooms
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Boyceville, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2015

Don't stay here. Yes, there are ocean front views but not worth it. The rooms where dirty - found hair in bedding and toe nail clippings on floor - so disgusting. Were there about 3 hours and had to find a different place to stay. Terrible experience!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!