“Below average if not for the beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront

You added Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3301 South Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118 (Formerly Palm Plaza Oceanfront Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Below average if not for the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stay at Holiday Inn Express properties all the time and this one would be below average by any comparison but it is on the beach so you can overlook the age of the place and dated rooms so my rating would have been higher if the hotel actually took care of the things that they don't need much money to do. The luggage carts were the worse I have seen in a long time; pneumatic tires that were not inflated enough and really hard to roll when loaded. Elevators that don't stop level with the floors. Rooms where it was impossible to place anything high enough to keep out of reach of kids, noisy frig, etc. The front desk people weren't rude but were apathetic as heck and couldn't answer questions like 'Where is a seafood restaurant?'
I’ve been to at least 50 HIEs and the breakfast is not great but okay; a meat of some sort, egg like substance of some sort, sausage gravy, and biscuits. For the first time ever though, this hotel had no meat one day and instead called the sausage gravy (that they have every day) a ‘meat’ . It’s things like this that bug me when I expect at least the minimum out of a hotel chain. (The breakfast lady was great though). It would be a great hotel for staying on the beach if you want away from the Daytona strip and don't expect much out of the room. They should take care of the little things though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HIExpress-DBS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I apologize if you feel that we did not meet your standards of a Holiday Inn Express. We were recently renovated and won an award from Holiday Inn Express about the quality of the hotel. We always have a breakfast meat on the buffett and sometimes two. During slower periods we will only put out one and Sausage gravy is considered a meat. I am surprised that you feel that my front desk staff is "apathetic" as the other reviewers on this site and other sites rave about my staff.I would like you to contact me directly so I can address your concerns in greater detail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you are looking for a wonderful hotel in Daytona Beach look no further. This truly is the place. Every single room in this fabulous hotel faces the ocean and a beautiful pool. The pool changes colour at night which is truly spectacular to look at from your balcony. Upon entering the lobby you are overwhelmed with truly breath taking view of the ocean from their floor to ceiling windows. The rooms are very large in size and have lovely ocean front balconies with them. The staff here goes above and beyond to meet and exceed your expectations. They are very courteous and friendly and really know the area. I had the pleasure of being checked in by Chris who was wonderful. At almost any point you can see at least one of the two fantastic managers on duty helping and encouraging their staff. This hotel is simply breath taking. I highly encourage people to stay here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HIExpress-DBS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thanks so much for such a wonderful review. These are exactly the kind of comments that we love to hear. The view is amazing, especially when first entering the hotel. Chris is a big part of the reason that we are able to provide such friendly service to each and every guest. We truly are one of the best hotels on the beach. We look forward to your return!
Seminole, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed during Hurricane Sandy on Oct.27, 2012. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and nice a bit small but it was fine. We stayed ocean front on the 4th floor the view was beautiful on Sunday morning after the storm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HIExpress-DBS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in our little piece of heaven. People hate to leave. That means that we have done our job by making sure your stay is as good as it can possibly be so that you never want to leave our little piece of paradise. We look forward to your return.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Every room is ocean view! I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Brand in a number of years...

We were pleasantly greeted at the desk. Very late arrival, glad I had my confirmation number at hand, she couldn't find my reservation at first. Once I gave the number, she located it quickly.

Loved the ocean view, private balcony to watch the sunrise! Before we checked out, we had to walk the beach. Absolutely beautiful beaches!

Room Tip: The executive suites are very large.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It really is all about the view. Not many hotels can boast that all of our rooms are direct ocean front. No one wants to lean around the corner to see our beautiful beach. My staff is a big part of what makes us the best place to stay on the beach. Now that you found us, don't stay away so long.
central florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've been going to this hotel for years and is now a Holiday Inn and it is fabulous! They have done some wonderful renovations that made this property even nicer. The view is always fabulous from the private balcony and with the mini fridge, micro, coffee maker, pool, beach and nearby restaurants you never need to go far from this property to have the most wonderful time. The only problem is leaving, plan on giving yourself an extra day or two or three.
Lily at the Front desk was terrific, she was friendly and very helpful, was able to get me a room on the floor I preferred and gave me some suggestions for things to do and places to go. Kevin at checkout was great, and yes I will be going back hopefully many times. Debbie

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so the view is fabulous from all!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HIExpress-DBS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thanks so much for such a wonderful review. These are exactly the kind of comments that we love to hear. We want to be your only choice while visiting Daytona Beach so it sounds like mission accomplished. We have received many comments about the great changes that we made to the hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed all of our beautiful hotel. Lily at the desk are just two of our stars that help to make us the best hotel on the beach.
Westerville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Usually the first thing I do when I check in to a hotel is call the front desk to ask for extra towels and pillows. Not necessary here! They had extra towels for us during our recent 4 night stay and the pillows and especially the bed were very comfortable. Awesome view of the ocean, private balcony; good breakfast every morning, close to everything on Daytona Beach. The place is clean, and the staff is very accommodating. I would love to come back here and stay again!

Room Tip: we had the top floor, but no matter what room you are in, the view of the ocean is right in front of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Our goal is to provide great value, great pillows, and superior service to satisfy every guest every time while creating a lifetime of memories. People hate to leave. That means that we have done our job by making sure your stay is as good as it can possibly be so that you never want to leave a little piece of paradise.. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back when you can make it again.
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family stayed there for weekend getaway.
The cleanest hotel bathroom and pool among Daytona Beach areas as far as I experienced.
We used to stay in Hilton oceanfront, but this one provides a kind of cozy, clean & quiet place, good breakfast, all beachfront balcony room, without any extra costs such as resort fees, parking fees.
If you want quiet and peaceful weekend in beach - not luxury though - ,
we do recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We are so thrilled to have you and your family stay with us. It is great to hear that you think we have the cleanest bathroom on the beach, I have had other people tell me that but it is always nice hearing it again. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront? Share your experiences!