“Go somewhere else....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Cleveland,Ohio
“Go somewhere else....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed here 12/28-1/1/08. Before coming here we stayed at the Radisson at Cape Canaveral, which made this hotel look like a complete [--] hole.
The property is extremely run down. There is a putt putt course on the property...I don't think you can actually play on the course though. There is chunks of the green missing and I am not so sure the clubs even have heads on them!
The pool is not heated and gross. You can see alge growing on the walls of the pool from our balcony.
The hallways were disgusting and smelled like a dirty diaper. The building is very run down and old. Everything felt dirty. I was afraid to touch anything in our room. There was hair all in the jacuzzi and shower. I ended up buying Dawn dish soap and some cleaner to tidy up. The shower and jacuzzi were disgusting. The shower didnt drain well, so I was in calf deep in my dirty, sandy shower water. The jacuzzi was so gritty. It did not feel very nice on my bum! I took a washcloth and wiped a shelf in the living room and it turned black!
Each hotel room is a condo that is individually owned and then rented out. Our room (room 601) had a "full" kitchen, which is a 2 foot by 2 foot room with a little fridge with the door handles broke off and a nasty microwave and coffee maker. The room is so little that there was a peice of wood over the stove so it can be utilized as counter space. When I booked the room the receptionist Christine advised me the room was the same king bed suite as shown on their website...this couldn't have been further from the truth. If you left dirty dishes in the sink there was a $25 surcharge and a $50 surcharge for trash left in the room!
In the bedroom there is a sign on the closet doors saying "owners closet, not for renters use." Which creeped us out because the doors are sliding mirrors. The doors were locked. We were wondering if there was a camera or something looking onto the bed. We are waiting for someone to call us, saying they say us on the web!
There was also a closet in the bathroom that was locked and "not for renters use."
The best part was the cleaning lady. She barely touched a thing in our room. I could of done a better job blindfolded! 2 days before the end of our stay she came to our room saying this is her last day here, and was beating around the bush to try and ask for a tip. Being someone that used to clean for a living I was disgusted that she would even want her name put on the work she did. I think all she did as swap out of towels and push the dirt around the floor. She ended up drinking some of our beer and getting drunk. She never finshed our room and left her cleaning cart in the hall way with a half empty beer on it. The next day I over heard 2 other cleaning people in the elevator and they were saying was a burnt peice of trash that lady was and how she just up and quit her job. She was drinking guests beer and took their towels and linens and never replaced them. I sure hope the hotel doesn't give her, her whole pay check after leaving in the middle of her shift after drinking on the job.
We ended up staying up in our room until she left, then we locked our door. We were afraid that since she was drinking on the job and this was her last day, that she probably wouldn't have had any problem stealing from us. I wasn't about to take any chances.
There was coffee and a danish in the lobby for breakfast. You couldnt pay me enough to eat something from that hotel. There are cameras everywhere! hallways, elevator, laundry room....
The only positive thing about this hotel was the view. We had 2 balconies, one off the living room and one off the bedroom. We had the corner suite on the highest floor, so you could see (or should have been able to see) the ocean from the kitchen table. However the window was so dirty and foggy that you could barely see through it.
IF YOU STAY IN THIS ROOM, DO NOT OPEN THE WINDOWS!!! We could barely get the bedroom windows open. In the middle of the night I went to close them and the whole window fell out!

This is my conclusion: Daytona is a partying beach and attracts the crowd of people that are more into partying, drinking and not respecting property in the midst of their partying. The hotels on the beach are all "used". None of the hotels are kept up well, which gives Daytona Beach a dirty appeal. Earlier in this vacation we stayed at Cocoa Beach. This was a much nicer facility. The hotel was clean, the landscaping was nice. If your looking for a place to go to....skip daytona and go to another beach in the area...like Flaggler, New Symrna or Cocoa.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — dirty, dirty, no internet connection, horrible housekeeping, dirty, dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

My Family and I have vacationed in Daytona Beach for years, and have stayed in many of the Hotels there. Over the Years, we have seen more and more of the Family oriented, affordable places disappear to make way for the shiny, over priced Mega-chain places where you are supposed to feel privileged to pay $150.00 Plus a night for a Room on the Beach. I just want a clean room to rent, I'm not looking to go broke, just to stay on the beach for the weekend.
The Fountain Beach Resort is not brand new, but the location is Great! The rooms were clean, the public areas have just been renovated, and look Modern, and the service was friendly. We got 2 rooms for the price of one, elsewhere. What else could you want after a day on the Beach. Unless you are looking to spend more just for the sake of wasting money, Stay in an Independently owned place that will appreciate you, and save enough money to eat on while you are there, that's what we have done in the past and will come back and stay again !

Stayed October 2007
Lexington, Ky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Ok, first I would like to say that I am not a picky person. I dont demand glamour and glitz when it comes to hotels. HOWEVER, I found a roach in my room and that is taking in too far. I had just gotten out of the shower on our fourth day there and the roach (about two inches long) crawled across the floor and into my shoe. I woke up my boyfriend and he killed it. I called down to the front desk and explained that I wanted to leave and my money back. The owner refused at first but then only gave back the days that I didnt stay. I was still angry because during the days that we had stayed, roaches could have been crawling in all our things. The owner was horrible and rude (she is an older woman with grayish blonde hair to her shoulders). The owner even had the gumption to say that it wasnt a roach even though we brought it down to show her. That is completely disgusting and in all of the hotels I have stayed in, I have never had a roach, even by the beach.
The beds were like seesaws. If you sat on one side the other would fly up. As for the contential breakfast, there wasnt one. If you wanted a bagel or danish you had to pay a dollar! This place is definatly not worth even $10.00 a night. The beach in the area was pretty gross too because of the trash all over the sand and floating in the tide. Please dont stay, unless you want roaches crawling on you and in your things!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything this place is nasty!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
centralia il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

we stayed here july 2006 and we are returning this july 2007. the condo is clean and the staff were very helpful and courteous. never had to worry about your stuff being taken poolside because byron was there to check everybody out good job byron. the food at the tiki bar was excellent especially the grouper sandwich and the nachos. good bands on the weekend and walking distance to everything you want. great price great location. room 205. thanks for everything see you in 1 week.

• Liked — clean and safe
  • Disliked — small kitchenette
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

First off, you have to understand the nature of this place. It is a timeshare/condo type of place. The rooms are completly left up to the owner for upkeep and furnishings so if you have a disappointing room it's not the resorts fault. You can ask the front desk to move you to another room and it may be much better than the one you had. I had room 516 and was very happy, the couple traveling with us had 521 and their room was nice but not as nice as mine. I was told 516 was the best in the place so try to get that room if possible.

The good:
The rate is reasonable.
The resort is in a good location, just south of the pier and close to dining and entertainment and right on the beach.
The staff was pretty good for one of these type places.
The pool and the putt putt golf were OK.

The bad:
The outside is in need of some attention. Nothing major but it is starting to look old.
The Tiki bar and restaurant are closed and it didn't look like they were planning to reopen.
Oceanview means that you have to go out on the balcony to see the ocean.

The ugly:
Across the street is a market and around the corner from the market is a package store and a bar. This in itself is OK but what it does is attracts homeless people or to be more blunt, drunken bums.
Most days there were a couple of them on the property by the beach and the resort did nothing to get rid of them. They did not bother anyone at the resort but off the property they would panhandle. The resort really needs to be agressive in dealing with these people if they want to attract more families.

Overall I was not disappointed with this place and would stay again. But I will look for other choices first.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Homeless people on the property
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brandenburg, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

We have rented from private owners in the building for several years, 2-4 weeks each summer. The management company has changed, the building is going through upgrades and LOCATION is everything. Many of the units are nice, clean and geographical location is perfect. Sheila owns several units and rents for other owners as well. Her units are clean and she does her best to accommodate her guests. The building still needs some improvements and I would like to see the restaurant back open but this is a great place to stay.

Stayed July 2007
Louisville, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

Just returned from a 12 day stay at Fountain Beach Resort and I have to say I did not agree with one of the reviews for suite 501. I pretty much based my choice from what the person said about it and the many pictures they posted made the room seem almost perfect. The view was pretty amazing though. We are not picky people and can tolerate some flaws. But some of these flaws took away from the lovely view. The lights in the master bath over the sink didn't work at all and they finally came to fix them the day before we left. Had to go in the living room area to put on makeup and dry hair. The half bath was so tiny you could barely move and the shower didn't work very well. Got up one morning to find the water shut off. Took half the day to come back on. The air conditioner in the living room area was broken for the first 3 days. The kitchen is so tiny you can barely move and very dirty. The laundry facility had 2 washers & 2 dryers and one of the dryers was out of service off and on. The futons in the living room are filthy on both sides was afraid to sit on them thank goodness they provided two small covers so we put those on the seat to sit on. The lock on the door entering the unit is very poorly installed. And sometimes we couldn't get it to lock at all and that is the only lock on the door. Thank goodness my husband brought some tools along so he was able to tighten it up a bit. But it really needs to be replaced entirely. The whole unit needs a really good cleaning. The walk to the pier was wonderful and it really is a good location. The restaurant is still closed. Would not stay there again unless they completely renovated the unit.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — Old building that needs a lot of work.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fountain Beach Resort? Share your experiences!