“OK Place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Charleston, SC
“OK Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

we spent the Friday after Thanksgiving here - the hotel was fairly clean and comfortable - (a bit dated) - and we did ahve a pair of beetles in our room. The ocean view was nice, the off season pricing was better than neighboring hotels and parking was a challenge despite there being two parking lots.
this was a hectic paced trip so we didn't take advantage of all the amenities they offered - thought it odd to pay $10 a day 'resort fee' to park our own car -
we will go back to this hotel again in season to see if the few minor issues have been handled.

I'd skip the breakfast - $10.95 a person - cold eggs & potatoes, garlic salt on both - the bacon was crispy & flavorful - unlimited coffee in the price, but if you opted for milk or juice there was no refills.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PlazaResortSpa, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the feedback on your stay at the Plaza Ocean Club. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room clean. We are making many upgrades to the hotel to update the guestrooms, which include renovating the bathrooms, new flat panel TVs, new artwork and lighting. These upgrades have given the room and updated and fresh look and I hope you choose our hotel if your travel needs bring you back to the Daytona Beach area.

Paul Herbert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Absolutely deplorable experience for my family and I. My wife attempted to book the Plaza Resort and spa (across the street btw) but was duped into this place and we couldn't get out of our reservation. Balcony FULL of bird feces, filthy hallways, stained linen, smashed bugs on the wall, dirty silverware in the resturant, VERY limited parking, horrendous breakfast buffet, staff that acted more like hostages than customer service representatives, we wore sandals to shower in the tub, and an elevator that broke down 3 times in the 2 nights there (we were on the 11th floor)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PlazaResortSpa, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations while you were a guest of the hotel but I want to assure you that we take your feedback very serious and use it as a learning tool to avoid these types of situations in the future. The hotel is undergoing a lot of upgrades, including updating the bathrooms with new tile and tubs, which is scheduled to be completed by March. Please check us out and see the upgrades if your travel needs bring you back to the Daytona Beach area.

Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

First of all let me say that I didn't have high expectations for this hotel based on previous reviews however for the rate that I received I gave it a shot and WOW was I pleasantly surprised!

We stayed on the night of the 13th of November.

My wife, Jackie and I are from the Palm City area and wanted to get away for a couple days. We found the Plaza Ocean Club on Trip Advisor after looking for a hotel in Daytona Beach. The reviews were all over the place but I decided to call anyway to check out the rates. A young lady named Brittney who answered the phone was very pleasant and upbeat. After I told her the dates I was looking for she came up with a $69 rate for an oceanview room. It seemed a little pricey but she told us it would be a great view on a high floor so I booked it.

When we arrived it was around 4:00pm and when we walked up to the desk we were greeted by none other than Brittney! She was very attentive and the check-in was very quick and easy. Our room was up on the 10th floor in 1005. The elevators were very dated and it took quite a while to actually get to the lobby when the hotel wasn't even busy. When we actually got to the room was a bit small but the view was amazing! We unpacked and hung at the beach for the rest of the afternoon. When we came back in we were both hungry and went to the front desk to ask about the restaurant. Unfortunately we were told it was closed for dinner but was open in the morning for breakfast. Brittney suggested the Oyster Pub for dinner which we went to. It was excellent and even though this is a review for the hotel I would highly suggest anyone in the Daytona Beach area to check it out! When we returned to the room we were surprised with a very nasty smell in the room and there was ants all over the dresser area. I went down to the front desk and Brittney was sympathetic and asked if we would like to move to a different room. She gave us a new room up on the top floor and told me it was a free upgrade to a kitchenette room which we didn't use but it was a nice gesture. This room was so much larger and had a huge king bed and best of all it didn't smell! After we moved all of our belongings I went down to return the old keys to the front desk. When I got down there Brittney offered me extra shampoo and other bathroom items which we had actually left at home and needed!

Overall the hotel was average at best but I would definitely come back only because of the excellent service provided to us! So thank you Brittney!

Room Tip: Higher Floors seem to be more renovated than lower.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the feedback on the hotel, especially your postive comments about Brittney. Brittney is a wonderful person and an asset to our company. I will pass along your comments to her. The hotel is in the process of making many upgrades that will improve the guest perception of the property. I hope you come back in the future so you can experience the upgrades first hand.

Weston, Florida, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

There were ants in the dresser and in the sink, And cockroaches in the balcony and the pool. I was constantly cleaning the sink and its surroundings to avoid the ants getting on my personal hygiene items.
One night i returned to the hotel and the dresser table was FULL with ants, they were all over my clothes, hat, purse and on the table. I called to request someone to spray ant repellent and all I was advised was "no we can't do that" they didn't even send someone up to clean the area. Marks suggestion was to change rooms at 1am and move ALL my belongings to another room at that time.
I ended up cleaning the room and checking out as soon as I could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

Please accept my apologies that we did not fully meet your expectations. I recently switched pest control services to ensure better quality care of our guestrooms and the improvements were immediate. The hotel staff is always trying to improve customer service and guestroom quality. Your comments are our motivation as we continue to strive for perfection. Thank you for the feedback.

Ocala, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Upon first glance the hotel looked very nice! The lobby was beautiful, the restaurants seemed okay, we have two small children so we really wouldn't be using it. The outdoor area seemed very nice as well. The second we stepped foot on the elevator we knew we were in for a night. The elevator floor was cracked and scratched up, as the elevator started moving it was shaking to the point that my 3 year old looked at me and said "mommy are we falling?" When we got off of the elevator the hallways smelled exceptionally nice and when we got to our door my husband had to lean into the door just to get it to open, so fairly enough to get it to close we had to slam it shut. We had asked for a crib and when the lady dropped it off she was VERY nice but pointed out that she was giving us a sheet because "there was nasty stuff on the bottom" The rooms seemed clean... but when we got up in the morning there were ants everywhere! the only thing we had out was a can of formula and it had the lid on it! The towels were worn and had holes in them the bathroom door had a chunk missing out of it. If I had the opportunity to rate this hotel I would more or less give it a one star not a 3. They rate the Hilton 3.5 stars out of 5... and a place with bugs and what not a 3... I don't understand this... I guess the $15 price differences between the two are the option of bugs or no bugs. Definitely take to heart the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"! When we got up in the morning that same nice smell...we shortly found out was to cover up and odious hallway that smelled of sewer... talk about nauseating!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlazaResortSpa, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for your feedback back on your stay and please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. The hotel staff takes guest feedback very serious and we are always trying to improve our short comings. The elevator floors were replaced since you have written this review. The hotel is also making many upgrades to the hotel that will enhance the guest experience. I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future if your travels bring you back to the Daytona Beach area so you can experience the changes we are making.

Rossville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Okay, Iv'e stayed at this hotel for 3 years in a row now during Spring Break. Yes, there are alot of "Spring Breakers" and they are drinking and being very loud BUT it's Spring Break LOL They are just having fun... If I were their age again, I'd be right beside them :) I have taken my children here year after year. My youngest son was 5 the first time we stayed here. Rooms are very clean. Elevators are very slow.... I mean slow!! But do not use the stairs because there is broken glass everywhere during spring break and the hallways with the stairs have been peed on many times, you can see it and smell it. AGAIN... it's Spring Break LOL Now, the breakfast is wonderful!!! You don't need a car because it's the perfect location. Everyone even on the beach is trying to get to the pool deck~ Its fun!!!! No outside drinks can be brought to the pool deck though... My 8 year old has epilepsy and I put his meds in a drink cup with juice and every year the security guards throw it away... This really bothers me. The prices have gone way up on this hotel for Spring Break 2013 so I'm sure this will have some impact on the kids. In the past, Ive never paid over 60 bucks a night and now its 118-130. Parking is impossible... You have to pay for it and may have to park across the street and down the road, then walk to the hotel :( Now for the balcony.... I'm old (40) so we can have ours open during Spring Break, but keep in mind that you Spring Breakers CANNOT have yours open enless you have an older adult with you. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the positive feedback back on your stay and I am pleased to read that you have stayed at the hotel the last three years during spring breaks. Please ask for me when you arrive this year so we can meet and I make sure that you do not have any issues with the hotel security staff regarding the epilepsy medication for your child. I look forward to meeting you this spring.

Have an Excellent Day!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

The rooms here were pretty clean, much cleaner than anywhere else we stayed on our trip. The location cannot be beat, right on the beach!! Pool was too cold to go in but it was clean and well maintained . Didnt have a chance to try the onsite restaurant or bar but it looked nice. The staff here was the surprise, everyone was EXTREMELY nice and really did go above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. There was an older woman at the front desk, can't remember her name, but she was VERY accommodating, even letting me use her office computer when the business center was down. Overall, the staff was what made this stay excellent as opposed to just average!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the positive feedback back on your stay, especially your comments on hotel cleanliness and customer service because those are the two factors that the hotel staff has total control over and we grade our success by this . We are always striving to exceed the guest expectations.

Again thank you for the feedback and I look forward to meeting you on your return stay.

Have an Excellent Day!

Paul Herbert

Been to Plaza Ocean Club Hotel? Share your experiences!