“visitors beware!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Ocala, Florida, United States
“visitors beware!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Upon first glance the hotel looked very nice! The lobby was beautiful, the restaurants seemed okay, we have two small children so we really wouldn't be using it. The outdoor area seemed very nice as well. The second we stepped foot on the elevator we knew we were in for a night. The elevator floor was cracked and scratched up, as the elevator started moving it was shaking to the point that my 3 year old looked at me and said "mommy are we falling?" When we got off of the elevator the hallways smelled exceptionally nice and when we got to our door my husband had to lean into the door just to get it to open, so fairly enough to get it to close we had to slam it shut. We had asked for a crib and when the lady dropped it off she was VERY nice but pointed out that she was giving us a sheet because "there was nasty stuff on the bottom" The rooms seemed clean... but when we got up in the morning there were ants everywhere! the only thing we had out was a can of formula and it had the lid on it! The towels were worn and had holes in them the bathroom door had a chunk missing out of it. If I had the opportunity to rate this hotel I would more or less give it a one star not a 3. They rate the Hilton 3.5 stars out of 5... and a place with bugs and what not a 3... I don't understand this... I guess the $15 price differences between the two are the option of bugs or no bugs. Definitely take to heart the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"! When we got up in the morning that same nice smell...we shortly found out was to cover up and odious hallway that smelled of sewer... talk about nauseating!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlazaResortSpa, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for your feedback back on your stay and please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. The hotel staff takes guest feedback very serious and we are always trying to improve our short comings. The elevator floors were replaced since you have written this review. The hotel is also making many upgrades to the hotel that will enhance the guest experience. I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future if your travels bring you back to the Daytona Beach area so you can experience the changes we are making.

Paul Herbert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Rossville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Okay, Iv'e stayed at this hotel for 3 years in a row now during Spring Break. Yes, there are alot of "Spring Breakers" and they are drinking and being very loud BUT it's Spring Break LOL They are just having fun... If I were their age again, I'd be right beside them :) I have taken my children here year after year. My youngest son was 5 the first time we stayed here. Rooms are very clean. Elevators are very slow.... I mean slow!! But do not use the stairs because there is broken glass everywhere during spring break and the hallways with the stairs have been peed on many times, you can see it and smell it. AGAIN... it's Spring Break LOL Now, the breakfast is wonderful!!! You don't need a car because it's the perfect location. Everyone even on the beach is trying to get to the pool deck~ Its fun!!!! No outside drinks can be brought to the pool deck though... My 8 year old has epilepsy and I put his meds in a drink cup with juice and every year the security guards throw it away... This really bothers me. The prices have gone way up on this hotel for Spring Break 2013 so I'm sure this will have some impact on the kids. In the past, Ive never paid over 60 bucks a night and now its 118-130. Parking is impossible... You have to pay for it and may have to park across the street and down the road, then walk to the hotel :( Now for the balcony.... I'm old (40) so we can have ours open during Spring Break, but keep in mind that you Spring Breakers CANNOT have yours open enless you have an older adult with you. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the positive feedback back on your stay and I am pleased to read that you have stayed at the hotel the last three years during spring breaks. Please ask for me when you arrive this year so we can meet and I make sure that you do not have any issues with the hotel security staff regarding the epilepsy medication for your child. I look forward to meeting you this spring.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The rooms here were pretty clean, much cleaner than anywhere else we stayed on our trip. The location cannot be beat, right on the beach!! Pool was too cold to go in but it was clean and well maintained . Didnt have a chance to try the onsite restaurant or bar but it looked nice. The staff here was the surprise, everyone was EXTREMELY nice and really did go above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. There was an older woman at the front desk, can't remember her name, but she was VERY accommodating, even letting me use her office computer when the business center was down. Overall, the staff was what made this stay excellent as opposed to just average!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the positive feedback back on your stay, especially your comments on hotel cleanliness and customer service because those are the two factors that the hotel staff has total control over and we grade our success by this . We are always striving to exceed the guest expectations.

Again thank you for the feedback and I look forward to meeting you on your return stay.

Grovetown, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I along with a couple friends stayed at the Plaza Ocean Club for Biketoberfest and every thing was great. Room was Clean and cleaned everyday. Bike parking was great… The first night the flapper in the toilet was not sealing good so the toilet would run if you didn’t shake the handle. Next morning I told them about it and it was fixed the next evening when we got back to the room. Stayed in room 507 and the view of the beach to my left was great and the view to my right of the bikes riding up and down A1A was just as great… We also had a good breakfast every morning down in the restaurant also the location is perfect. A convenient store with gas pumps right across the street and .7 of a mile from Main Street and the pier and stores restaurants and night life within walking distance all around. Awesome job Plaza Ocean Club.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the positive feedback back on your stay, especially your comments on the hotel cleanliness and the response time on your customer service call. The Plaza Ocean Club Hotel is well known as the hotel to stay at during Biketoberfest because of its location and superior service. The hotel staff is always trying to WOW the guest with a clean room and superior customer service and I am glad we meet your expecations.

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Listen... this place is GREAT!!! We go to Daytona often and have stayed in many hotels, this place you CAN NOT GO WRONG. The staff is great... the food is FANTASTIC and the price is right. Not to mention the location.. RIGHT ON THE BEACH!!!... all but a few of the rooms face the ocean AND (we didn't know this till we got there) at the time of our stay they had an AIR SHOW going on!!! The worst part of our stay... was going home.. however.."I'LL BE BACK"

Room Tip: Ask for one UP HIGH
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for your enthusiastic feedback back on your stay at the Plaza Ocean Club! I am glad you enjoyed the Airshow – you could not beat our location and views of the show. Hopefully you will return for the next show and choose the Plaza Ocean Club for your accommodations.

Helotes, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Upon arrival, there was sufficient parking. It's October and considered off season for the most part. When checking in, we had to wait behind another customer even though there were to
receptionists at the desk. Both clerks had chit chat with the customer ahead of us which created the wait on our part. We used Groupon and were aware of the extra taxes added to the bill. We
were not aware that there would be a $25 deposit for future incidentals that might occur. We
were told that it would be refunded if not used.

The room was okay. Considering it was on the beach, we thought that the floor might have sand.
What we didn't expect is that the carpet would need vacuum cleaning. The walls were three shades of the same color paint and many of the lamps didn't work. The paint on the shower tiles was peeling and blocked the drain. The shower head had a leak that sprayed water sideways through the shower curtain onto the toilet and floor.

The balcony provided a great view of the Ocean but the railing, wall, and furniture were covered
with bird poop. (picture provided) The A/C unit from the adjoining roof vents onto the balcony so
you have the air blowing on you while you are on the balcony and the condensation from the balcony above you drips onto your balcony.

We were provided with a coupon for complimentary breakfast for each morning of our stay. It includes 2 eggs to order, bacon or sausage, potatoes, and a beverage. (milk, coffee, or soda)
Why not offer juice? Beware...do not eat off the buffet unless you are prepared to pay for it!
We sat at a vacant table and sat for 15 minutes before I was able to get the attention of one of
the two waitresses. The waitress was cordial but was overwhelmed with the work and customers. It took her another 15 minutes before she could come over to explain the breakfast procedures.
She took our order but was so overworked that it took at least another 10 minutes before she
could bring our beverage order. While sitting there, we watched as someone brought in a bag
of eggs. (that explained the delay in breakfast orders already delivered to the kitchen) In addition, we heard at least four customers being told that the buffet was not part of the complimentary breakfast and they would be charged for the buffet. (thus, the $25 deposit at check in)

We sat in the restaurant for 45 minutes before our beverage was served. We would have walked out if not for the entertainment provided by the poor F&B dept. We talked with the table next to us and agreed that something needed to be done. This seemed to be the conversation at several tables surrounding us. One young couple asked to see the hotel manager which was
the first good thing we saw. After his arrival, we noticed that he started clearing tables in the restaurant. The exec chef came out to address another customer complaint and I heard him ask the customer to see him the next morning and he would personally take care of his service. (a bit too late) The restaurant staff were not prepared for the mornings business.

In all fairness, I admire the wait staff for not walking out. They took a lot of abuse from angry customers and had to accept it for enforcing hotel policy. They deserve a raise for putting up
with poor business practice. I read the review by "We stayed in ROOM 912" and can concur.

I rated the value poor but that's only because I used a Groupon coupon. I would rate it
much lower if I didn't have the Groupon discount! Unfortunately, I took advantage of the Groupon offer and purchased two separate dates for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PlazaResortSpa, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations while you were a guest of the hotel. I will pass along your comments to the Front Desk Manager about the staff having a conversation with the guest ahead of you. It is good customer service to strike up a conversation with the hotel guests but it sounds like it became excessive, which can create issues with the guest still waiting in line to check in. The Groupon offer you purchased included an All American Breakfast, which was built into the rate. The buffet has a much higher cost and we were trying to get the cost of the package down. I apologize that the staff was not more specific on the reason why the Groupon offer did not include the buffet breakfast. I hope that you give us another opportunity to earn your business if your travel needs bring you back to Daytona Beach.

Davenport, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our first room had small ants in the bathroom and the front desk upgraded us to a room closer to the beachfront. Two days after checking out our credit card was charged an additional amount that we had no agreement to pay. We made reservations and have a printed copy of the confirmation including the price. We called the hotel and spoke to the financial department to no avail. We called and left a message for the manager to contact us, which he has not. I emailed the original person that arranged our reservation and got no reply. We will never stay in this facility again.

Room Tip: Don't expect them to honor their quoted price. They added a charge days after we checked out wit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that you did not get a reply to your questions about charges to your credit card after you checked out of the hotel. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can assist you with your questions.

Paul Herbert

Been to Plaza Ocean Club Hotel? Share your experiences!