“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 110 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Buffalo, New York
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at the Plaza Ocean Club June 28-July 2, 2012. The resort was an exciting place to stay with lots of activities for my family. The pool was a big hit with my kids. Everything was really clean, so we felt comfortable letting the kids roam. The restaurant was handy and the food was good and a decent value. All of the staff was friendly and acted quickly on all of our requests. The hotel manager spoke to us in the mornings at breakfast. We will miss those beautiful sunrises and strolls along the beach. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean Front Room to be right on the beach.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Tutukaka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for Daytona weekend. Checkin was abit chaotic. We were put into rm 317 which was clearly not one of the renovated ones. So here is the list of negatives. Large hole in the corner of the microwave so when you turned it on you could see into it thru the hole. Power tripped off the first day so no TV till maintenance turned up. Had to find the housekeepers every afternoon and ask them to do our room. Mildew over the outside of the fridge. Deck furniture aging and dirty. Windows were so grubby it was hard to see through them. The tap in the bath would not turn off and dripped continually, you could hear dogs barking in the neighboring rooms and the ice machine ran water for the whole time we were there. One of our beds had a spring that kept popping out and the other one had a huge sag in the middle. Pool had a number of drunk people smoking as they swam with accompanying butts. The lifts were incredibly slow. The parking was mostly disabled and beach parking so finding parking next to the building was a real challenge.
On checkout the desk clerk was busy with her head in the computer and did not make eye contact or speak to me for over 3 minutes. Left me feeling very undervalued, as though I did not exist and certainly was not important. I would have told her about the faults in the room so something could be done but was so frustrated by her attitude I just wanted to get out of there. The good thing for the hotel was the maintenance man was really helpful. You can do better for your money than this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest:

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay. I have forward your comments to the Executive Housekeeper for review and to take any necessary corrections to avoid this type of situation in the future. The hotel staff is working diligently to improve the hotel and hopefully you will give us another opportunity in the future so you can see the improvements.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our experience at the Plaza Ocean club was a very miserable one. When we first showed up to check in we had to wait ten minutes until the front desk staff was done joking around with drunk guests from the pool, acting completely unprofessional. Once we checked in we went up to our room via elevator in which all the ceramic tile on the floor of it was cracked and broken and was incredibly slow. Once we arrived to our floor we stepped off the elevator into a dingy hallway with vomit stained carpet and it smelled like cat urine. We got to our door and it looked like someone had tried to kick it down it was so incredibly dirty and scufffed. We then entered our room where it just got worse. Starting with the bathroom there was mold all over the wallpaper border, the tub did not drain at all, the floor had black hair all over it and looked like no one had cleaned it, the blow dryer was missing and it appeared that it had been ripped off the wall. It was disgusting. The bed spreads had cigarette holes burned into them, there were bugs all over the floor and there was an odd smell in the room. The balcony which was suppose to provide a beautiful view of the ocean was covered in bird droppings and since we had a view of the roof we could see mounds of trash that guests had thrown off their balcony, liquor bottles, towels, beer cans, food, wrappers, you name it. Again, very disgusting. This hotel makes it very obvious that they cater to the spring break partiers and everyone who works there is completely unprofessional and rude. Everything from the front desk, to the pool was dirty, that hotel needs to be torn down and replaced. If you are looking for a nice vacation spot this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: If you are unfortunate enough to have to stay at this hotel because your only other option is a dump...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that we were unable to fully meet your expectations during your stay. The hotel staff has been working to improve the overall quality of the hotel. We take your comments very serious and use them as a tool to improve the overall performance of the hotel. I appreciate your feedback and hopefully you will give us another opportunity to change your impression of the hotel.

Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My family spent 3 days here on our vacation July 2012... we LOVED it! From the moment we arrived, we were treated with respect, friendliness, and given whatever we needed. I know some reviews have mentioned that it's an older hotel, but our room was clean, spacious, and well maintained, especially for such a great rate. The service was impeccable, and SOOOOO friendly, which means a lot to us. Even the ocean-VIEW room (vs. ocean FRONT) was all the beachfront view that we needed. The pool was great, very clean, and I just can't say enough about the service. Did I mention the service was GREAT?! (LOL) WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK!!!

Room Tip: You may want to ask for ocean view on the boardwalk side, but if that's not available, the other...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was a great place to stay. We have stayed at several places in Daytona and this is now our favorite. Yes, it is a bit older but for the price it is amazing. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food at Altlantic Jacks was really good and affordable. We looked around for other places to eat because we read reviews that the food was not so good. We tried it and it was great. The crab cake/eggs benedict breakfast was great and the mahi sandwich was good too. The best hamburgers and fries in town!

Room Tip: The rooms by the air handler were loud! Try the upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and also enjoyed the food service. The hotel hired a new Chef and he has done an amazing job improving the quality of the food. I will pass along your comments.

Seymour, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here with a groupon June 12-June 16. I upgraded to an ocean front room when I made the reservation. When I checked in I was told that the room I booked (two double beds) was not available due to "damage" and they had put us in an ovean front room with one King bed and a pull out couch. I as disappointed about the change, but they discounted the upgrade by $10.00 per night, which I appreciated. When we got to our room on the 6th floor it was clean but not up to the standards of a room we would normally stay in. If I had paid full price for the stay I likely would have checked out right then and went someplace else. The shower head was pulled from the wall, corner molding pulled from the wall, faucet was leaking/dripping and the room just felt run-down. You can read the other reviews about the place needing updates, I agree. THe best part of the room was the view of the ocean, and my children really enjoyed that. My older son appreciated the free wi-fi and it worked well for him. The pool area was great and my younger son and I spent most of our time there. They really seem to put alot of effort into making sure he outside of this hotel looks nice. I would suggest that they do all the pool maintenance and cleaning of the area before the pool opens at 8 am. I had to move all of my stuff one morning so that a maintenance guy could hose down/wash the windows in the meeting area. I think he should have done this before the pool opened. I found the front desk/restaurant/bar staff to be very friendly and interesting to talk to. The staff is likely the best part of the hotel, followed by the pool area. In the end, I am glad I got over my initial dislike of the place because it ended up to be a good stay. I hope they continue with the upgrades and improvements.

Room Tip: go for the upgrade to ocean front. the view is stunning. Also, elevators can be an issue, so if you...

Macon, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently stayed four nights and had a great time. Our room was clean upon arrival, and the staff made sure all of our daily needs were met. We stayed in an ocean view room on the 11th floor and the views were spectacular! The pool had plenty of chairs and was just steps from the beach! The location was awesome, walking distance to the the ocean walk and lots of restaurants. I will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Our 11th floor view was of the ocean and the river...spectacular!
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay and I am glad to read that you enjoyed yourself. I always tell travelers that the best things about our hotel is the location, location, location. The majority of the rooms have a spectacular view, in walking distance to many restraints and shops and we provide superior customer service.