“This is the poorest maintained hotel I have stayed in ever.” 1 of 5 stars

Plaza Ocean Club Hotel
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   640 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Kingston, New Hampshire
“This is the poorest maintained hotel I have stayed in ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

This hotel needs a major cleaning and update. The hallway carpets are very dirty and spotted with I don't know what. I felt sorry for the group of teenagers that were sitting in the hallway eating. My room had only one closet door of what should have been by-passing mirrored doors and the track was completely rusted as was the towel rack in the bathroom. Everything in the room felt damp/wet including the carpet. When I got in the shower in the morning, my feet were so dirty from walking on the carpet it made mud in the bottom of the tub. Only one of the two elevators was working when we arrived. This was supposed to be a four day stay in Daytona. This hotel changed that very quickly. This is not a hotel I would ever stay in again nor recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
POCManager, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
I want to thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. The hotel contracts with an outside company to shampoo the carpet on a quarterly basis and I am please to inform you that the carpet was shampooed this week. Beach front hotels tend to take more wear and tear than other locations but we take cleanliness very serious and we are always trying to improve the service/condition of the hotel. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Sent here to stay from 4 STAR Getaways (make sure you know what your getting). I really expected 4-5 star hotel since we just left a super nice condo in Orlando. It was a Wednesday, hardly anyone anywhere, yet check in took an hour, you do have to pay for parking- that was new to me . I can't blame the employee- she was alone and having to answer the phone while checking people in (all 3 of us).
We were on the 7th floor, totally awesome view to admire from the plastic chairs and small plastic table that probably cost $15 for the whole set...I'm not a snob and if I were 21 and on spring break, it would have been fine.
Our toilet was broken (wouldn't flush) but someone came right up and fixed it. The room was rather small, so was the bathroom, and had an old smell (as did the whole hotel), the AC worked but was really loud so you had to turn the TV up everytime it came on.
I have to say the employees were all friendly and responded quickly, but you can only work with what you have.
All in all we didn't come to spend time in the Hotel, so the trip was fine...just wish it was a nicer, larger room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
POCManager, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2011
I want to thank you for your review and I appreciate you offering comments about your stay. I especially appreciate your comments about the hotel staff; the hotel staff prides itself for delivering superior customer service. I will take comments and share them with the management staff so we can use them as a tool to improve the hotel and the overall guest experience.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Although the desk clerk was not exactly the friendliest she was courteous and professional. The room was clean and smelled fresh. The a/c was really nice. The pool was heated and clean and towels were provided. A comp continental breakfast would have been a nice touch. The restaurant was a bit overpriced and the wait staff wasn't exactly on the ball. Despite that we had an excellent experience and would stay there again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Watching the sun rise over the water is awesome. The beds were comfortable, and linens were clean. The building is well maintained, but, not perfect. The 2 elevators are very slow and warm. We were there over a weekend, and there were many college students on Spring Break, sometimes they were noisy.

Room Tip: I enjoyed our ninth floor balcony.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Worthington, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I went down to daytona to stay with friends and have fun on spring break. When I googled the hotel, I was under the impression it was nice, clean, and very classy looking. You should know that there are 2 sides to this hotel, and they only advertise the nicer side. The side I stayed in, Ocean Plaza Club, was dirty, smelled bad, gum on the floor (even in my room, the maid didnt do a very good job of cleaning and there was gum ON MY BED!) the employees were rude, (you could tell they hated thier jobs, and hated the guests at the hotel) The "breakfast buffet" was nasty, over priced, ugh. THEN, on top of all that, I was charged an extra 200 dollars after my stay, and have never gotten a call back as to why, I would strongly suggest never staying here....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
I appreciate you offering your comments and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to talk to you about the $200 charge you refer to in your comments so I can investigate and rectify the error if there is one. I will pass your comments onto the management staff so we can use them as a tool to improve the hotel and customer service.
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

Myself and three friends spent 6 nights at the Plaza Ocean Club! Despite an hour long wait to check in (however we did check in prime time and we didn't mind waiting), this was one of the best vacations the four of us have ever gone on. The room was in great condition and then cleaning service did a great job in accommodating us everyday. The atmosphere was a great Spring Break experience and the staff and everyone at the hotel made our stay a great one!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011 via mobile

Luckily I only had to stay one night but it really sucked. I paid extra for a "full kitchen" when I found just a microwave and a broken fridge. The balcony has a view to the ocean with seats but you can't even access for "our protection"- when we got our room key we had to agree that we would not open the balcony door or we would get evicted immediately. Felt like I was signing my contract to a dorm room, we had to check off the condition of everything in the room including wall hole size to ceiling to blow dryers. They also attached an article of a kid who jumped off the balcony - what a great way to welcome your guests. The walls are paper thin and I was able to hear conversations from the other room. They open balconies for only people over the age of 25. Really crappy hotel and I would never recommend this to anyone

• Stayed March 2011
PlazaOceanClub, General Manager at Plaza Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
I want to thank you for taking the time to give feedback about your stay at the Plaza Ocean Club. The hotel has specific guidelines regarding Spring Break which are available for review at time of booking a reservation during this time period. These policies ensure everyone has a safe and fun time during Spring Break. The hotel does not offer or promote guestrooms with a full kitchen, the hotel only have rooms with efficiency (microwave and refrigerator). Again, thank you for your feedback.

Been to Plaza Ocean Club Hotel? Share your experiences!