“This is a pub... I repeat... a pub... NOTTT a restaurant!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Lantern Pike Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Lantern Pike Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Glossop Road, Little Hayfield, Peak District National Park, Hayfield SK22 2NG, England   |
Glossop, United Kingdom
“This is a pub... I repeat... a pub... NOTTT a restaurant!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked a table for two at the lantern pike inn, as we drive past it quite regularly on the way to my fiancées mothers house. Its a beautiful quaint country pub from the outside.
Upon entering the lantern pike, you will quickly realise that this is not a pub restaurant at all. The walls are adorned with memorabilia relating to Coronation Street (why, I have no idea at all!) We were shown to a table made from an old sewing machine, which I thought was a rather novel use for such a thing. We made our drinks order with the waitress and began to peruse the specials board, which is labelled the specials board, when in actual fact it is the menu.
My fiancée decided to order the pork, but wanted to make a change from blue cheese sauce to Dianne simply because of pregnancy, which wasn't a problem. The problem began when the workmen standing at the bar (which was situated to the right of our table) began to recite tales of vulgarity and use language which neither myself nor my fiancée would expect to hear when dining in a restaurant.
The food arrived and was very nice... nothing special. I personally expected it to be special given the price!
At one point, a patron of the bar (one of the workmen) walked straight past us, and decided to mention to one of his colleagues as he was directly next to our table, that he was going for a p**s!!! Lovely. Just what you would want to hear from someone stood next to your table in full workwear.
As is the title of this review, this place is a pub, it is not a restaurant, and far better experiences are to be had for the money we parted with for our food at this place. If you're looking for somewhere to have a drink after finishing work or meeting up with friends, I is probably perfect, but definitely not for a pleasant dining experience, and certainly not for a romantic evening!! One to avoid dining in!

tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
For the loudness and industrial language you had to put with I apologise unreservedly, I agree with you 100%, nobody should have to listen to such language and vulgarity, I can fully understand why you didn’t have a pleasant dining experience, I too would have the same opinion in a similar situation. I have spoken to the people concerned. If you are ever passing again please call in and let me buy you a drink.
As for your comments about the food, I’m really sorry you didn’t find the food ‘special’ (you can’t win them all unfortunately). I have noted your comment about the use of the word Specials and modified the board to read ‘Today’s Menu’.
The Coronation Street connection, you say the walls are adorned (actually, it’s a total run of about 3x1 metres on two separate walls), if you had read the posted information on the walls you would have known what it was all about. The Lantern Pike Inn is home to some very important social history, ie the birthplace of Coronation Street, the world’s longest running soap!
With regards to everything else, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, however, if the dining experience you had was never to be repeated ie the behaviour around the bar was more civilised, could we describe it as a Pub/Restaurant?

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Let me be clear - I have not stayed at the pub. I used the pub to cater an evening meal at a local house I hired for me and my friends - there were 28 of us; my rating is based purely on this experience.

The pub were very accommodating and brought everything we needed to the house on time and unobtrusively, they also brought some staff to serve and tidy away. And the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I picked the starter & main meal before I arrived, looking for fresh and local ingredients - a couple of e-mails and phone calls with the kitchen manager sorted everything out. It was excellent, well cooked, plenty of it and nicely presented. Before I used them for the above catering I had Sunday lunch at the pub (just to try things out), it was very good, but the meal they did surpassed the lunch.

So as far as catering goes, they did a great job and if I was going to do a similar event in the area, I'd certainly use them again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for those kind words of appreciation. Stella
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a great room with fantastic views, the beer exceptional, the food really good, plenty of it, well cooked, nice breakfast you name it - loads of parking - the staff and locals very friendly - i would visit here again with the family! keep up the good work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for those kind words of appreciation. Stella
lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had four days in june at lanter pike inn.The rooms r getting a bit tired ,but were clean enough ,good food and the real ale we had was very good .Tom & stella were very friendly.Breakfasts were very good ,quiz night was a good night .

tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments. We understand how the rooms might not be everybody’s taste.
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I cannot understand the reviews which rate this place highly.

We stayed in a supposedly "superior" room (the one with the 4-poster) and it's just as well we didn't have a cat to swing. Don't be fooled by the photo: the gloomy room was covered in mud-coloured artex, the wardrobe and "coffee table" were cheap flat-pack, the mattress was thin, looked ancient and was uncomfortable, and the carpet was filthy. The bathroom had no window and hadn't seen any improvement in at least 20 years.
Ladies, please note: entry to the rooms was via a door towards the Gents.
The landing outside the rooms had a strange smell.

Evening food: that my husband gave up on his curry says it all. I left the stale crust on my sandwiches.
Breakfast did not offer a choice of fruit, not even grapefruit, juice was limited to orange. I'd not been offered any choice of how I wanted my egg in my full breakfast (normally I prefer poached) and it was greasy, as were the salty mushrooms. (I do not take salt).

We have never complained about a place before and, on reflection, we should have made our views known on leaving. The only reason why we didn't complain was because we'd come straight from the funeral of a close relative and really didn't have the heart for anymore upset. We paid up (in cash after the card machine wouldn't respond) and left as soon as possible.

If the owners want to use this criticism constructively, they should spend a night at the Pack Horse Inn near New Mills to see what excellent value they offer. We'd stayed there for one night, and it cost only £11.50 extra in a far superior room with far superior food.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
You say “you cannot understand the reviews which rate this place so highly” I think it suffice to say that if I had just attended the funeral of a close relative I too would be disagreeable and wouldn’t be feeling very positive about anything. Nevertheless, what a shame you couldn’t have spoken to us before you wrote this caustic review. If I had the time I would refute every one of your points (mud coloured walls? No, all the colour charts call it magnolia, filthy carpets? No, it’s called oatmeal etc etc), for goodness sake it’s a mid 18thC former farmhouse not the Waldorf Astoria
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I were on a country side road trip of England and Scotland making our first overnight stay at Lantern Pike B&B. Driving on the wrong side from London Heathrow on a rainy day in a rented car using my GPS took me about 4 hours to get there, otherwise its about 3 hour drive. Driving was nothing exciting until we entered Peak District national park. Roads became narrower with scenic green hills, ships, cattle and horses on both sides of the road. Getting to Lantern Pike was not that hard. Upon reaching Lantern Pike around dinner time, we were warmly welcomed by Tom and Stella (the owners). We had fresh delicious dinner and some very good local beers. Late in the evening, we had enjoyable conversation with Tom and other guests- it almost felt like home, having couple of drinks and chatting with friends. The room was comfortable and spacious. I slept well. In the morning, breakfast was delicious as well. We went to see Chatsworth estate- which is about 20 minutes of drive from Lantern Pike. I highly recommend this place for a great relaxing time in a beautiful countryside.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words of appreciation. Stella
Coleshill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This isn't luxury accommodation, but if you want a really warm welcome in a lovely little pub with great food and ales we'd recommend this highly. Our room was pretty small but otherwise fine. Breakfast and evening meals were a high standard and the whole stay very inexpensive. We caught the quiz night which was good fun too. Wonderful walks all around. We will definitely be going back

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quieter as front is on a fairly busy road
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words of appreciation. Stella

Been to Lantern Pike Inn? Share your experiences!