“Big on space, short on quality” 2 of 5 stars

Regal Palms Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   2700 Sand Mine Road, Davenport, FL 33897   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lena, IL
“Big on space, short on quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was initially a great value when booked through Travelocity. Lots of space, and a great pool/lazy river which was very warm. Made some requests through Regal Palms, most of which were ignored. For instances, when I asked that we are in a unite closer to the pool, they must have thought I asked, "Please put us in the unit furthers from the pool." Oh well, maybe I was mumbling. First day, found dead cockroach in kitchen. Hello little friend! Big old bloodstain on daughter's box spring. A diverse variety of stains on most of the bedding--not sure how old/fresh, so I pretty much washed it all. Oh well, it was fun to think of the adventures and stories that of previous visitors that led to all the colorful stains. Older TVs, no dvd players, no internet. Okay, so I take the laptop to the business center for the slowest (unsecured) internet experience ever, only to have my email immediately hacked with virus-loaded messages sent out to 20 plus business contacts. So much for plans to meet work deadlines on my Florida visit. I told the staff (who are friendly enough) but what are they going to do about it? If you like mattresses that make sidewalks seem soft yet still managed to make a massive amount of noise every time you move, I hope you get our unit. Bonus: turns out a hard, cheap mattress worked wonders for my back. Unbonus: My husband was in misery every night. Ah well. Found out the unit was free for one more night, so we decided to stay an extra night in FL. What a headache. Paid nearly three times for that single night (that it would have sat empty othewise) as I did for my original per night cost, and had to call mutiple people on multiple days in mutiple places, becuase apparently, they have no other forms of communication throughout Regal Palms, so their guests have to relay messages between staff. Oh, and some dude kept sneaking into our backyard at night to fill our trash can with empty beer cans. Never even offered to share some of his booze. Rude. Not overly close to Disney (a solid half hour to get to a theme park), but we understood that to begin with. Anyway, a great overall value if you don't mind cockroaches and blood stains and sending viruses to all your friends. Tip: The "Jolly Rancher" special at the Tiki Bar helps you forget.

Room Tip: I've heard there are nicer rooms with more updates, and it helps to deal directly with the owner...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great resort, very safe and a fantastic location with all the amenities you could ever need. We will definitely be going back!!!
There are about six restaurants and a Publix within walking distance and Target and Walmart are short drives away.

Room Tip: We highly recommend renting through Darren and Sherry at Affordable Villas Near Disney.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am writing this after our second stay at the Regal Palms. Once with inlaws and once with just me, my wife, and kid. The first time we thought "comfy and good value." This last time we went we ended up having a medical scare with our kid. he ended up being fune but we had to cut our trip short. I was able to get the unused day returned. So I had to pay for teh day I stayed and the cleaning fee (more than fair). Honeslty I wasn't even going to ask but I did and they did there best to help.

The fact is I can't believe that they were so helpful when they did not have to be.

I like the place because I feel safe with my family there and it's not in the middle of the craziness in Orlando, it's quiet.

Now I do have to deal with little things that I don't mind there (I had to unplug two smoke detectors that had bad batteries and the top landing had a creak).

I am fine with that because it's not expensive and it is comfortable (Pool/ Slide/ Lazy River/ Restaurant/ Nearby Publix).

Good if you have big groups of people cause they have a lot of rooms. When we went it was $69 a night for a 3/2 and they upgraded us to a 4/3 no clue why random luck. From what else I read I guess it is hit or miss btu I will go back here until I see a reason to go elsewhere.

SO look its a good VALUE. Not the ritz but perfect for a family in the 30's looking for something decent on a budget.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our overall impression was a positive one, with everything as advertised; very spacious and well equipped; easy sign-in and out. The owner (Simon) and resort staff were very friendly, honest and helpful. The resort location was close to all the major attractions in Orlando. We also liked the easy-walking access to the next-door mall, especially the Publix grocery store.

We were particularly pleased with the resort facilities, including the lazy river, hot tub and restaurants. We will definitely recommend Simon @ Regal Palms to our friends and family.

Taguig City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I came here with my husband's family for 2 nights in December before taking a cruise. We loved that this place had 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, which was convenient for the 7 of us that came on the trip. The downside is that this resort is a good 15-20 minutes from the main rode and pretty far from food and grocery stores. Also, there wasn't any cell phone reception in the house.

The wi-fi password didn't work, so thankfully my husband knows how to fix it. The front desk people weren't very help.

Our ceiling leaked into the living room and caused my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law to almost slip onto the floor because it leaked a huge puddle from the master bathroom shower right at the bottom of the steps.

They sent maintenance over and they "fixed" it, but you could tell by looking at the ceiling that it had previously leaked before.

The kitchen is small and the unit was just not very homey.

I rated this a 3 because it's nice to find a place that fits all of us, but overall, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of time to drive.

We stayed here for 2 nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were from 8 to 14 January 2013, in the house 2622 Calabria. We went on a Cruise and came back on Friday 18 January.
The house is comfortable with four bedrooms and fairly safe place. Outlets were not working but they stored our luggage in a safe place at the reception.
On Monday 14, my daughter forgot her Ipod at home. When we returned on Friday 18 at night, they told us to write to the responsible post of housekeeper. However, they said that the Housekeeping team not found the iPod and we are sure that the iPod was in that house.

Room Tip: Do not forget anything because you will not return
Zeeland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was a nice place to stay but I would recommend researching who you rent from. We rented from Great American Vacations and they had so many rules we were afraid we'd get charged! You pay a $90 cleaning fee yet you need to do a load in the dishwasher, you need to take sheets off the bed and wash them and generally pick up or they make you feel like you will pay. So I'm not sure why we had to still pay the cleaning fee. Also, check in was 4pm and we got there at 2pm. They told us this particular rental company does not allow early check in. 2 hours? Really? Seemed pretty tacky to us.
Overall the resort was nice, water slide and lazy river are fun and staff was nice. Just be sure to check who you rent through.

Room Tip: Our condo was 3234 Calabria Ave-Regal Palms Resort and we rented from a Johnathon Candelario.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Regal Palms Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!