“Bad Start but Good Ending” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport

Save Saved
You added Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport to your Saves list
Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Southwest 18th Court, Dania Beach, FL 33004 (Formerly Stirling Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 17 hotels in Dania Beach
Batavia, Ohio
“Bad Start but Good Ending”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We made "guaranteed" reservations at Marriott.com for this hotel two months prior to our two night stay. A week before our two night stay was to begin, we received an email from the hotel reminding us of our upcoming stay. When we arrived at the hotel at 1:30 a.m. for our stay, we were told that the hotel was overbooked and no rooms were available despite our guaranteed reservations SpringHill put us up in another hotel 13 miles across town at a Best Western and paid for our stay. We were really furious about this news. After driving across town, we finally arrived at the Best Western, dragged our 8 bags of luggage to the room and settled in, which was now 2:30 a.m.

The free breakfast at Best Western ended at 9:00 a.m., so we had to get up early so we could take advantage of the breakfast. After eating breakfast and checking out by 11:00 a.m., we headed back to the SpringHill Suites and spoke directly with the hotel manager. She was very pleasant and apologized for the problems we had. She was able to get us in a room for the second night of our stay.

The hotel was nice. Nice lobby area. The breakfast area was spacious with a variety of hot and cold breakfast foods. The rooms were nice and clean. Beds were comfortable. A few restaurants were near by within walking distance.

On Sunday, we checked out and utilized the free shuttle that took us to Port Everglades to being our cruise for the week. After the cruise ended the following Saturday, we took the shuttle back to the SpringHill Suites and stayed another night. The return shuttle cost was $10 per person which isn't a bad price to pay. Fortunately, we didn't have any problems with our reservations this time.

The following day, we were up and on the shuttle bus to the airport at 4:30 a.m. Since the airport was close, we arrived within 15 minutes.

Overall, our stay was good, with the exception of the first night, but Marriott made things right.

After the trouble we had with the first night, I called the disctrict manager Kevin McKay and left a voice mail message telling him of our problem we had with the first night and asked that he return the call so we could discuss the matter. He did not return my call before neither before our cruise nor after the cruise.

When we arrived back home this week, I sent an email to Marriott Customer Care online advising them of the problem we had and the inconvenience it caused us. I mentioned that we also never received a response from the district manager either. I simply asked that Marriott make things right by reimbursing us for our second night stay at SpringHill Suites due to the inconvenience it cause and the delay it caused us for the plans we had made during our stay. I received and email from Marriott indicating they had forwarded by email to hotel's Executive office. Within a couple hours, I received an email from Kevin McKay the general manager apologizing for our troubles. He graciously agreed to reimburse us for our second night stay and also added several thousand additional Marriott points to my account. Marriott made things right leaving me a happy Marriott customer again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback concerning our hotel. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you were caused and I'm glad we were able to make it right for you.

Kevin Mckay

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Wilmette, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Given the demand for hotel rooms the local hotels have a bit of a captive audience. This hotel struck out in nearly every category. When we arrived at the airport we called for the free shuttle. We were told the shuttle just left and it would be about 20 minutes. Meanwhile my husband's brother called to say he and his wife were on the shuttle which was a surprise because they had landed well over an hour and a half earlier. They waited over an hour for a slow ride. We sprung for a cab at $20. Then we tried to sign up for another free shuttle to the cruise dock on Saturday. We were told all the early shuttles were "sold out" yet they arranged for a van to take us for $40, and it was the same company running the so called free shuttle. Then they sold us $40 worth of tickets for a ride to the airport when we arrived back from the cruise. That ride never arrived and we had to again take a cab (another $20.00)! What a scam!

The room was adequate and clean but hardly worth the $225 per night price! The staff was harried and had very little information, including about the supposed free shuttle. The breakfast was pretty terrible and was a mob scene of aggressive cruisers lining up for buffet, as if it was their last meal! It was hard to find a seat. One hilarious benefit was sitting next to a very large woman who had just gotten off a cruise on the Royal Caribbean line, on which we were about to sail later that day. Despite the fact that she was a perfect stranger and I told her we were about to go on our first cruise and I was very apprehensive, she proceeded to launch a virtual diatribe about how horrible the cruise was and how much we would hate our cruise. Her poor husband sat in silence. My husband and I practically rolled on the floor after we left "Debbie Downer". This hotel is a horrible value. Skip it and its questionable practices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me personally so that we may work together to find a way to rectify the situation.

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is close to the airport and has a convenient shuttle from airport. Across the street there are restaurants and also a shopping complex including KMart and other stores. It is in actuality a couple of blocks walking but this is about as convenient as it gets. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your review of our hotel. I'm delighted your enjoyed your stay and I'm glad we were able to meet your needs. I hope we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for choosing us and we hope you'll consider us for your next visit to the area.

Pickering,Ontario.Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family and I choose this hotel based on the fact that the location was close to Airport and cruise ship port,I did read up on this hotel on trip advisor,the reviews where good,we were picked up by their shuttle from the Airport,all I had to do was to call them as soon as we collected our luggage.there is a phone on the same level as the baggage area,the pickup was there in about Fifteen minutes,check in was a breeze,we were early,but they gave us our suite right away.The staff were all great,very good with giving us instruction as to where to go.My overall experience was very good,I will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance of the hotel are less noisy,the hotel is located off a very busy high way...

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great pre- and post-cruise hotel with lots of free extras. My husband and I and our two kids (aged 7&10) booked a king suite with a pull out couch on Mariott points and were really happy with our experience. The free airport shuttle worked out great, and there is a free shuttle to the cruise ship terminal but we opted for a $15 cab ride to save some hassle. The free breakfast was standard and CRAZY busy (the hotel was completely full during the spring break weekends that we were there)…. The crowds aren’t too bad if you go early. The elevators are slow and get really busy too. The hot tub was being repaired while we were there but we used the heated outdoor pool…. It was very warm and we really enjoyed it. We had good connection speeds with the free wifi and the location was good…. We went to the kmart across the street before our cruise to pick up snacks and a few last minute items we needed. The front desk was able to store a bag for us for a week for a fee ($25, I think).

The staff members were all pretty friendly and we found everyone to be helpful. One staff member (I wish I could remember his name to thank him!) was able to help us out with an early check in after our cruise and we were very grateful! We ended up staying on the first floor after our cruise and it worked out great… no line ups for the elevators!

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor to avoid the the busy elevators

Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

stayed here one night after late arrival to Fort Lauderdale Airport. Front desk was pleasant enough.....however that was about it. Room on 5th floor facing front of hotel right at on ramp level to Interstate. All kids did was complain all night of sirens, accelerating vehicles, and transports merging on to highway. Tried to drown out with heating/ac however fan would only run if temp needed changing. Hot tub out of service. Doors falling off cupboards in suite. 3/4 inch gap around latching side of door to room. Absolutely no water pressure in shower......had to rinse shampoo out of hair in the sink. Brutal. Have to admit breakfast in the morning was decent. Overall not worthy of $165/night.....won't get our business again (and we have to go back in a couple weeks for another overnight stay before we fly out). Disappointing Marriott property. Will email Marriott Rewards (we are members) when we get a chance.

Room Tip: get to back of property away from interstate if you want any chance of a decent nights rest
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Enjoyed a two-night stay while visitng family nearby through Hotwire. While the room was a bit cramped, it was clean and queen bed was quite comfortable. Elevators seemed a bit slow and twice needed to have my key card re-activated. Free wireless and good TV selections were a plus. Pool and surrounding patio were small but pleasant. Noise from adjacent highway was minimal. Friendly staff. Convenient to I95 and Hollywood- FL Airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kevin M, General Manager at Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your review of our hotel. I'm delighted your enjoyed your stay and I'm glad my associates provided you with the friendly service you were expecting. Thank you for choosing us and we hope you'll consider us for your next visit to the area.

Kevin McKay

Been to Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport? Share your experiences!