“Overnight cruise stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newport Beach, California
“Overnight cruise stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We checked into this hotel for an overnight before a cruise, despite the negative reviews that I had read. Our flight arrived at 6:00 AM. We were met by a very cheerful van driver, just starting his day. He told us that while they have a full restaurant in the hotel, and snacks at the bar, the hotel offers a free shuttle to a nearby shopping center with other good restaurants. We arrived at the hotel, the lobby was very clean and inviting. A bar sets in the lobby that serves Starbucks. The first pot of the day was brewing and the lobby was filled with the aroma. We had planned on sitting by the pool waiting for our room to become available.

A very cheerful desk person greeted us, welcoming us and offering to get us some of that coffee. I told her that we had just flown in from LA and were beat. She turned to the auditor and told her that we needed our room early. She quickly and efficiently got us checked in and up to our room.

After a power nap, we came downstairs and relaxed out at a nice clean pool. We enjoyed a couple of drinks from the bar then set out to walk over to a nearby sporting goods store. A bit of a walk, but not too far.

Later we hopped into one of the vans and were whisked over to the shopping center. We ate at one restaurant then walked over to a little gem called Millers Ale House. Enjoyed a couple of frosty adult libations and called for the van back. The desk person told us it would be 20 minutes. Before we could finish our drinks, the driver walked in checking on us. He was so darn nice, zoomed us back to the hotel. We had a nightcap in the bar that was now bustling with patrons.

We got up the next morning and enjoyed a delicious FREE breakfast, served by some very warm friendly employees. The breakfast was perfect, fresh warm, cooks bringing out fresh food on a regular bases.

Each of the employees we dealt with we're outstanding. They seemed to genuinely care about us and the hotel. Really terrific people! The employees make this hotel!

I had one negative in this hotel. As we sat having lunch in the bar, terrific food and service. This couple comes into the bar and orders several drinks and lunch. The man was talking loudly with some business stuff that seemed like BS. I looked at the pair and thought that if I were working I would be Leary of them. But, the bar tender seemed to be keeping an eye on them as they kept ordering more drinks in quick succession. Darn if that couple didn't scoot out of the place, pulling the old dine and dash. I was pissed at myself that I hadn't warned the employees of my grifter suspicions. The employees were just too darn nice...

On our future cruises we will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SFA1825, General Manager at Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Mike M

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport Hotel; and thank you for your positive comments on the services provided during your stay. I am happy to hear our staff met your expectations. I also want to let you know how much I appreciate you recognizing our team members doing a great job. I can not express how much this means to our team. Once again thank you for your feedback!

JGarcia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you are taking a cruise departing from Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, you can't go wrong with this hotel before or after your cruise. This Sheraton offers free shuttle service to/from the FLL airport, and only $10 one-way transportation to/from the cruise port.

Nice pool, fitness center and lobby bar. Also in walking distance to the Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant - a great fresh seafood restaurant - and the Bass Pro Shop huge sporting goods center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ocean Palace Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel and I am happy to hear our location, amenities and service met your travel needs. I have shared your comments with our staff and we thank you for choosing the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport hotel. We look forward to having you back for your next cruise!

holland, mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was rated 3.5 stars on priceline, had a good brand name, and was rated relatively well on Trip Advisor. I wanted to be close to the airport for a morning flight. But here's the scoop on this place. If you're wondering why you got can get good rates at a hotel brand that usually goes for $150/night and up, it's because this place is old and needs a complete overhaul.

It looks like the hotel was built in the early 90s and has not been updated since. Right when I arrived the front desk area looked tired. There's a nice big lobby with a bar/restaurant but again, pretty out of date. Pool isn't bad but it's just tired. I tend to walk down stairs instead of elevators; you can see in the stairwells the place is pretty dirty behind the scenes.

It's $15/per night parking, you need to swipe your guest card to get in/out. No free wifi, no free breakfast.

Another downside is that if you are left at the hotel without a car, there's nothing in walking distance unless you consider the pricey hotel restaurant. The room itself was OK, bed was good, HD Lodgenet programming, no free wifi.

Consider the hotels on Stirling; one exit to the south. They are just as close to the airport and there appear to be more eating options.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SFA1825, General Manager at Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport Hotel and taking time to provide us feedback on your recent stay. Your comments are appreciated. Please know we have taken note of your experience and suggestions. The hotel is located in the vicinity of a major airport; to provide options to our guest a complimentary shuttle to a local mall is offered. I am also excited to report our hotel is scheduled for a refresh later this year. It is my hope you will have another opportunity to visit when all is completed. Once again thank you for staying with us!

Best Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has excellent service! Paul at the front desk was beyond welcoming. Because I was offered to be signed up for the Sheraton rewards program while making my reservation, I received parking for free. The lobby was nice, has several computers and printers available for use for checking into flights, surfing the net, etc. TheFlat Iron Gril was very good, and Norman (our server) was both charming and knowledgeable. The room was very nice, had updated features. Overall, a fantastic stay. The pool and hot tub outside were fantastic, both also had chair lifts available for wheelchair bound guests. There was also an exercise room and tennis court, but I did not use these services. The beds were very comfortable, as we're the bed linens. Very convenient to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear “First Time Sheraton” Guest

Welcome to the Sheraton Family!

Thank you for selecting the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport hotel for your travel needs. Please know we value your comments. It is great to hear we have earned your business. Your comments have been shared with all our service staff and want to thank you recognizing some of our super stars. I am also happy to hear the hotel and the services we provide met your expectations. This is our goal. We look forward another opportunity to be of service. Once again thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated!

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My young son and I stayed here April 2nd for two nights after spending time in the Keys for spring break. The lobby is very very nice. Guest agents at the front desk and at the guest services desk were very professional and helpful. We loved the pool (temperature was very comfortable) and the hot tub was nice and warm and there were plenty of towels and more than enough lounge chairs. Our room was clean with nice furniture, large tv and the bed was very comfy. I turned in my rental car before I checked in and we took advantage of the free evening shuttle that takes guests to a strip mall with several restaurants to choose from. After we ate dinner we walked to Sports Authority and when I called the driver for pick-up, he was more than happy to pick us up from there instead. The next night we had chinese food delivered (there is a pizza place that delivers as well). The only issue I had was my tv would not get the channels that were in HD (and there were quite a few HD channels - some being channels that I would actually watch). The hotel's engineer came up to my room twice to try to fix but was unable so I missed out on quite a few channels (room 422). I decided not to try to rectify any further as we were tired at the end of the day anyway. I would stay here again but only with an adult. This isn't a hotel that has many kids (as I didn't think it would - but I was hopeful) and since my son is an only child it would've been nice if other kids were at the pool. Also - if you don't mind riding public transportation, there is a bus stop directly in front of the hotel for the #4 bus. We took the bus to Hollywood Beach (about 25 min ride). Hollywood Beach is very lively with lots of people and cool boardwalk. The #4 stop back to the hotel is directly across the street from the hotel at the stop light. So very easy to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Great Guest

Thank you for selecting the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport hotel for your travel needs. Please know we value your comments. Glad to hear our hotel, the service staff and the services the hotel provides met your expectations and made it a great stay. This is always our goal. We look forward another opportunity to be of service. Once again thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated!

Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The place was pretty good. Rooms and common areas were very clean and well kept. The club level availability was nice and gave access to a very decent breakfast. The hotel is large but designed to make it feel massive when you walk in. No fridge or mini bar even. I asked if there was a snack stand, bar food, or even room service one night when I didn't get in from work until midnight. I was immediately shut down with a 'that's all closed'. That left me with the only option of leaving the gated parking lot and driving a mile or so to a gas station to get something. There isn't anything else other than a Hilton across the street and commercial businesses within a few miles. Nothing to walk to for food, drink or entertainment. It wasn't unexpected, I suppose. These types of hotels were built in the 80s or 90s and the grand, open areas were more important than some amenities which are standards at many of the other favorite hotels these days. So overall: clean, normal, boring. Nothing outstanding. Nothing bad. Barely a reason to even write a review.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Airport Hotel and taking time to provide us feedback on your recent stay. Your comments are appreciated. Please know we have taken note of your experience and suggestions. The hotel is located in the vicinity of a major airport; to provide options to our guest a complimentary shuttle to a local mall is offered. Once again thank you for staying with us!

Best Regards

Clarkston, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel was booked by a travel agent for a pre cruise night. I have been to Fort Lauderdale many times and am confused why so many people think this is a great location for the cruise port. The hotel is average. The pool was not heated and the bottom was discolored with something black. There were no towels poolside. You could hear highway noise. Service at the bar was slow. There is nothing within walking distance. Cab fare to Los Olas for dinner was around $25.00 I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback, please know we value your comments and we have taken note of your experience. Your feed back provides us opportunity to improve. The location of the hotel is in the vicinity of a major airport and generally convenient for travelers however to provide more options the hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to a local mall with multiple eating establishments. Please accept my most sincere apology we did not meet all your expectations.

Thank for your feedback!

JGarcia

Been to Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!