“Good value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Dania Beach
Prague, Czech Republic
“Good value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We booked this hotel via Expedia and did not have high expectations for the price paid, however were nicely surpriced about the hotel and its location. We spent 4 nights there.

Rooms are good size, well equipped, the bed was very comfortable. Staff at reception quite OK, not too much comments as I read in other reviews. Breakfast very basic, compare to European standards, but as we stayed in another Choice properties in US and Canada, very typical for this star rating. Housekeeping shall do bit better, mainly in bathroom.

Surrounding area very nice, lot of green, Publix supermarket and two restaurants accross the street, parking outside the hotel free of charge - we had a car, so appreciated it. It is very close to FLL airport, less than 10 minutes drive, and easy to drive to beach in Hollywood or Dania Beach. Distance to major highway I95 about 3 miles and from there easy to drive to Miami or other parts of Florida.

If we come back to this area again, will be happy to use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
HAMPTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. First of all the front entrance is beautiful with so many lush, tall plants. it looks like a garden. The lobby is very nice also. We stayed only for one night before going on a cruise. This hotel has a free shuttle that picks you up promptly at the airport and then to the cruiseport the next morning. I didn't have the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The room was very nice - clean and spacious. The bathroom fan was very noisy as well as the air-conditioner but we slept well in the comfy beds. We ate in a great Italian Restaurant Don & Vinny's across the street - they have great early bird specials! They also have a Publix and a Walgreens within walking distance also. Would stay there again and we very much recommend it. We paid a military rate of $75 in early May 2012.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the main street & on the top floor. They do have an elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Medina, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed at the Sleep Inn prior to our cruise. I do like the location since there is a fabulous Mexican restaurant, Walgreens and Publix within a block or two. The gentleman who drives the van is very nice. I believe he is of East Indian descent. (I say this because I would like for him to get credit for his efforts)
Check-in was horrible. One employee checking in and looking like she didn't know what she was doing. Kept looking at a computer screen with a blank look on her face. Another person was on the phone for at least 30 minutes never even looking up as the line grew. The hotel was filthy including the rooms, sheets and windows. The pool and whirlpool were full of dirt and grime. I'm not a fussy person and I love the location but I would have to be desperate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Griffin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Rooms were OK, just a bit below average for Choice Hotel properties.

The big problem I had was with this motel was the front desk. Knowing that I needed shuttle to cruise port the next morning and that my flight to Ft. Lauderdale would not arrive until late, I called and asked if they could sign me up for shuttle. The response: "You can do that when you get here." Which I knew. The problem being that the shuttles would fill long before my arrival, I suspected. And I was right.

When I told the desk clerk, who acted like it was a major inconvenience to him to check us in, he said the only shuttle available was at 9 a.m., which meant we'd be sitting at the cruise port for about two hours before we could board. But we didn't have much choice, so we said, "Sign us up." Which he appeared to do.

Final straw: When we came down to get the 9 a.m. shuttle, another equally disinteretedd party at the front desk grumbled, "You aren't signed up."

The guy driving the shuttle van was much nicer. He grabbed our bags, loaded them and assured us that he'd have no trouble accomodating us.

I don't think I would choose this property again. First time I've ever been so disappointed in a Choice property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

rooms were ok, clean. refrigerator door wouldn't stay shut. Biggest complaint, no hot water in room on 2nd floor. Moved to 1st floor on 2nd night and only had warm water. Jacuzzi looked a little nasty. had to park beside dumpster, and there was all kinds of things dumped in the area by the dumpster(stove top, tires..etc).

Room Tip: stay on 1st floor if you want even warm water.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

All in all, not a bad deal for the $60-70 a night I paid (before taxes.) It's not the Ritz by any stretch of the imagination, but then neither were the prices.

Part of the Choice Hotel chain so you can get frequent flyer miles through Choice Privileges.

Rooms are reasonably clean, on the small side, and include coffee makers, fridges, microwaves, hair dryers and irons. The bed was comfortable. There is an in-room safe that the hotel automatically charges you for, but you can get the charge removed at check-out if you don't use it. The shower never got very hot, the pressure was a bit low, and the towels were few and on the thin side. There were the usual standard free shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. The bathroom fan was very noisy and was on whenever the light was on, which I found very annoying. Housekeeping was sloppy and lackadaisical once you were in the room - I had to leave notes several times to get them to change things or replace things, and they obviously never reported room issues to management so that they could be fixed.

There are smoking rooms at the end of each hallway, and the hallways smell like smoke, particularly as you get closer to the ends. I would imagine the "non-smoking" rooms" adjacent to the smoking rooms are pretty nasty. I would also imagine that the rooms in the center (by the one slow elevator, vending machines, and ice machines) are very noisy. Luckily I had a room that was half-way between the elevator and the end, so it was reasonably quiet and I did not smell the smoke inside my room when the AC was on. My AC worked fine and was quiet (much quieter than the bathroom fan!), unlike some other reviews.

There is free internet that was reasonably fast but was completely unsecured and required "accepting" the terms every few hours. I am paranoid about unsecured internet and didn't use it for anything other than surfing and listening to internet radio.

The breakfast is pretty extensive for a free breakfast with the usual coffee, juice, milk, dry cereals, limited fruit (apples and a rare banana), muffins, bagels, toast but also biscuits and gravy (very scary-looking), hot oatmeal, fake eggs, and very surprisingly, tasty make-your-own fresh waffles.

Parking is free, but some of the back parking spots are pretty dark. I had possum tracks all over my car one morning, which I thought was pretty cool, but others may find creepy.

There is a Walgreens across the parking lot, and a Publix (large chain supermarket) across the street. The beach is less than 5 minutes away and all the beach access I found required you to pay for parking, but given the price of the hotel, you still came out way ahead.The airport is 10 minutes away and the convention center/ cruise port about 15. There is a tiny pool that I never saw used. Very few kids the nights I was there.

So in summary - not a bad deal if you get a good rate - a bit rough around the edges and lax on the details, but all-inclusive and convenient.

Tampa, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I travel for business and have stayed at this hotel before and never had any issues. This past stay was awful. There was mold growing on the bathroom ceiling that no one could miss, the water temperature for the shower was very luke warm, and the toilet had problems flushing. When I went to the front desk to check out and address the issues for future guests they really didn't seem to care. Told me they couldn't offer anything extra for my stay since I booked and paid online via a travel website. I explained I've stayed here previously and had no problems but wasn't looking to complain for a free room but to let them know about the issues in the room. Still didn't seem to care.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn Ft. Lauderdale International Airport? Share your experiences!