“Fine for quick one night stay, but not much more” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Dania Beach
Henderson, Nevada
“Fine for quick one night stay, but not much more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Booked this hotel using reward points at the last minute for one-night pre-cruise. Had I paid the full rate, I would not have been happy. Arrived into FLL about 8 at night. Called the hotel to request the shuttle and were given instructions on where to wait. Went outside and the shuttle just happened to still be there so we were able to hop in – very convenient. Quick ride to the hotel and we checked in. Also signed us up for a shuttle to take us to the cruise port. There was no charge for either shuttle although other reviews I had read said that the shuttle to the port was $7.

The room, 302, was simple – two beds, sofa bed, microwave and fridge, sitting area, desk. Smelled musty upon entrance and then realized that we had a smoking room. We hadn’t requested non- smoking so our own fault and since it was getting late we just wanted to get to bed. The room was stuffy as well so we turned up the A/C and fan and that did seem to help reduce the odor. The room seemed clean enough, but there were definitely some wear and tear in the room. In the bathroom there was a hole in the wall where the towel hook kept hitting it. Guess no one cared to fix it.

The next morning we went down for the free breakfast. OK I know it was free and I don’t think I’ve ever complained about a free breakfast at a hotel like this, but this was pretty bad. I usually eat egg substitute so I figured their egg patties couldn’t be that bad, but they tasted like powder. The biscuits were like rocks and the gravy was horrible and trust me I’m a biscuits and gravy kind of gal. So I just went with fruit and cereal – the fruit was pretty ripe ( read: old) which is actually the way I like it, but some may not be up for that.

Since we had time before the shuttle to the cruise port, I decided to work out. It is a stretch to call it a workout room. Looks like it was probably an office that was later tuned into an exercise room. It had a bike, a treadmill and an elliptical. I chose to use the treadmill, but I didn’t touch anything as it all appeared to be pretty dirty. Worst thing was the smell. It was stuffy and musty – smelled like they hadn’t turned on the air in a year so I went ahead and cranked it all the way up. That did help a bit.

Employees and shuttle drivers took care of us but weren’t overly friendly. They seemed pretty unhappy to be working there.

There is a 24-hour Walgreens right in front of the hotel so we picked up a few things for the cruise. Also, there is a publix supermarket next door in the strip mall. We were able to buy some wine to bring on board as well.

Overall, it was fine for our stay which only lasted a few hours, but I probably wouldn’t stay again. I’ve stayed at other hotels pre-cruise in the FLL area before and definitely had better experiences

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We had a hard time finding a place to stay before our cruise but I finally decided on the Sleep Inn. The service wasn't really the greatest (they were supposed to call me back but never did, couldn't recommend any food joints open past midnight on a Friday night, etc.) but the rooms and locations made up for it. Our room looked more updated than those in the picture and featured a micro-fridge too. We got some snacks from the Walgreen's next door and got a great night's sleep. Breakfast was pretty good too! I think we paid about $180. Will stay again if taking another cruise from FLL.

Merion, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night. On the plus side, the transportation from the airport was great and right there when my plane arrived (not labeled Sleep Inn but another hotel's name). Had we been later than midnight, we would have had to find and pay for a taxi or shuttle. I was under the mistaken impression that transporation was provided to the Miami Port. The desk clerk immediately arranged a taxi for the next day, which woud have cost $60, he said. I read Trip Advisor and learned of SAS transportation service, and I emailed them and got confirmation in the middle of the night. Cost: $15/person. The van didn't show up, but when we called, the operator promised a driver would be sent immediately, and in under 10 minutes, our own personal van arrived and took us directly to the port for the promised price.

Yorkville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week and used the sleep, park and cruise pkg. The hotel is "worn" and overpriced for the accomodations. Booked 2 rooms and both had dirty/moldy bathrooms and the rooms smelled. The breakfast is standard but congested and overwhelmed on weekends and closed early due to too many"holiday travelers". The shuttle to the cruise pier was good, but the return required 3 calls to the hotel as the driver drove past us 3 times on the outer lane while we shouted and waved. Even after a traffic officer stopped him to get him to pick us up he, once again, drove fast around in the outer lane and past us. The hotel clerk was abrupt when I called and said there were hundreds of people in that area and we had to make ourselves "visible". Driver laughed it off, turned on the radio and sang when we got in the van. Asked how the fishing was on the "boat". No apologies, just a lame attempt at bad humor. As I entered the hotel the desk clerk and van driver were laughing it up as he described how we weren't in the right place and it wasn't his fault. If you are going to disrespect customers that way, don't do it in the lobby where everyone is within earshot. That was disappointing after all the confusion to hear employees bashing customers. And we weren't in the wrong area, he was in the wrong lane to even begin to see us. The desk clerk was short and didn't acknowledge our frustrations or help.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

An exceptional hotel with a nice sitting area in room, right across the street from a Walgreen's and several restaurants. Airport shuttle came very fast and booking cruise shuttle was a snap. Our place for future pre-cruise nights, for sure. Lovely staff too.

Room Tip: We were in 303, quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times before when we went on a cruise or flew to Jamaica like we did 2/28/12. We took "fly, cruise deal" which included parking our car there for the week and shuttles to and from the airport for $180 for one night. It would have been better to take a smaller room not a "suite" and pay for the parking separately as the bathroom "roll in shower" had a corroded drain in the main room near the sink and the water went into that drain in the floor from the shower. This is a very busy time of year for "snow birds" and there were so many people staying there to go on cruises and the plane that the check in attitude was come or don't come. They promised to pick us up at the airport when we arrived from Jamaica but we had to wait over a half hour for the shuttle. I am not going to stay there the next time I go on a cruise or fly from the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cumming, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I am not sure where to start because I have so many complaints.

1) There were cockroaches in my room. I woke up at night, turned on the light and saw several scurrying.

2) The room smelled of mildew.

3) There were old stains on the sheets (very large and very visible).

4) The advertised free Internet did not work and I spent over 2 hours with the 24/7 internet help desk and the front desk trying to resolve. IT said that the front desk was resetting the wrong thing. I was not able to complete critical work assignments as a result.

5) The phone did not work right. 2 lines were always depressed when you used it, so I was forced to use my personal cell phone for the previously mentioned Internet issues.

The front desk refused to make any concessions or adjustments based on these issues. Definite lack of concern for my stay or my satisfaction as a guest. I will never return to a Sleep Inn and I highly recommend that you stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn Ft. Lauderdale International Airport? Share your experiences!