“Overbooked and bumped, which isn't unusual” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1900 Stirling Rd, Dania Beach, FL 33004   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #11 of 17 hotels in Dania Beach
Vancouver, Canada
“Overbooked and bumped, which isn't unusual”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had booked online and arrived very late (around midnight) along with 5 other couples. When we were picked up by the shuttle, we were warned that the hotel had oversold and were were going to get bumped to another hotel. The other couples were very upset, as were we. Nothing like arriving to this news after traveling for 10 hours. What made it worse was when were were told this was not unusual - the hotel apparently does this quite regularly.

When we arrived, the front staff were there with the news. What appeared to be a manager was counting cash and speaking with us. Thee was a clerk who was given the task of rechecking us to the other hotel, and two others who just stood by and watched. Two things really upset everyone. First, the manager, while being "apologetic", mentioned that our reservations in effect could have been cancelled because were were so late. Second, we all had to wait for the one clerk to process each of us - yet there were 3 other employees standing there. I asked why, and he explained they were all going off shift.

Not much of an example of customer service or care.

We were finally all processed and loaded back on the shuttle after another 20 minutes, and headed to the next hotel for another round of check-Ins.

Very bad experience, and according to the employee who drove us, a regular occurrence. This is definitely NOT the type of experience you want pre or post cruise. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

546 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our overnight stay started with one elevator of the two being broken. This souls normally be acceptable but the staff were constantly using it to travel between the upper floors for some reason. It took 10 minutes to get to our floor. We later saw the staff would put something blocking the elevator door from closing to hold it for themselves. The entire hotel has a mouldy musty smell. It was so bad, I was really worried about my health. All the carpets in the halls are stained with dirt and bleach. The room wasn't much better. We found pubic hairs on the floor in the bathroom! Needless to say, we did not feel comfortable at all here. This hotel is not in a very safe neighbourhood but there is a nice mall nearby.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

There are tons of hotel choices in the Ft. Lauderdale area, surely most of them are far better than this poorly rated hotel. Check-in staff was smug and not friendly at all. The breakfast buffet was decent, probably the only positive about the hotel stay. The room had a musty, dirty odor that was worse when the air conditioning was on. Worst of all, the hotel staff clearly has is making kick-backs by steering their guests to take one of their "preferred" shuttle services to/from the ports for cruises. We booked a Disney cruise that embarks from Port of Miami. When I checked in, I was looking for advice to get taxi-ed vs. shuttled to the Port of Miami the next morning. The check-in attendant warned me that a cab ride would easily be $100-$120 to Port of Miami. I pushed back on him about this and was assured from the taxi company the rate would not be more than $65 and probably less than that. He insisted I was wrong about this, and kept trying to convince me to take an $85 shuttle service (the shuttle driver happened to be standing in the lobby right as I was being persuaded to use his services). I refused and took the cab instead. I explained this saga to the cab driver, and he was furious. He said hotels like that are killing his business, because they have under the table arrangements to steer their guests to use the far more expensive shuttle vans and obviously receive kickbacks for it. The rate was only $60 from the hotel to Port of Miami BTW. Stay away from this corrupt hotel if you are cruising and just using this hotel to bunk for a night!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rising Sun
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place was close enough to the airport, and had plenty of the amenities that budget minded people go for like free parking, free Internet, free breakfast. The room was comfortable, but the odor was pretty bad. I went out and bought some air fresher so I could stand it. Check in and out was quick. The breakfast area was mobbed, maybe extending the time would help that. The view from our room was a junk yard or landscape something or other. Not to pretty to look at. The front side of this hotel faces the highway.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My boyfriend asked me to not write a review, but I feel it is my responsibility to shine light--apparently i'm not the only one.

Stayed at this hotel for a pre cruise booking and that will be the end of my stay at this best western in general. I intended to stay at a hotel (right across the street) but decided to book here and save a few dollars. The entire front desk staff has quite the attitude when you make them repeat what they are saying. I am sorry-- but the reason I keep asking you to repeat yourself is because I do not understand what you are saying (english is not their first language). Front desk is the first impression of the hotel, with that said I should have high tailed it out.

We wanted to go out to dinner as we were hungry. So we asked a housekeeper who looked at me as if I was sent here from another planet. She did not speak english. EIther did the other 2 housekeepers I spoke to. From what I understand, Florida is still part of the United States.. did it change?

The carpets as EVERYONE on this forum stated.. were bleached and stained (NOT dirty). Breakfast was good. Rooms were clean. I will say the hotel check in was packed. My question is why only 1 or 2 computers going at a time? I have traveled to other hotels and seen 4 or 5 employees at check in.

Is this the worst hotel I ever stayed at? NO. Is it worth the 100+ I spent for a night.. NO. What I dont quite get is I stayed at Best Western and had a better experience than the Best Western plus (plus is an upgrade). It was VERY aggravating trying to find someone who spoke english well. With that said-- thank you best western but no thanks.

Charlton, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I thought the hotel was in a good location and the room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Now comes the not so good part, the reservation was double booked and we needed one of the bookings deleted. It was clear that it was double booked and the record of the second booking only happened that day by mistake via an internet discount site. I arrived at the hotel and the desk clerk, Carolyn, was informed of this. Her response after looking it up was that I would be charged for both since that is the hotel policy. Not "I can check with our front desk manager or our GM to see if I can do anything to correct this". I then called hotels.com which called to intercede on my behalf. The same clerk answered the phone and told them the same thing. Hotels.com said that they would contact management and see what they could do and that they thought that based on the circumstances that they could get the hotel to credit me the second charge for the same room. Later I got what I could assume was a customary courtesy call from the front desk manager asking if my room was in order a few moments later. (which was a nice touch). I told her of my problem and she said that she had heard of the issue and was going to ask if the GM was willing to give me the charge back. I found out the following morning that they did in fact credit me. I appreciate the efforts of the front desk manager to properly handle a customers request and hope that in the future, desk clerks are instructed to try to solve a problem or at least TRY to solve a problem instead of giving a surly or curt response as a first option.
As you will see if you review my many other ratings. This sour feeling and negative response and the lengthy period and several phone calls it took to correct this problem is the cause for my low ranking. Empowering employees to do the right thing for their customers is a powerful tool that would cause a positive reaction and produce future rewards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!