“Not really a resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Venture Out Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cudjoe Key
Venture Out Resort
You added Venture Out Resort to your Saves list
701 Spanish Main, Cudjoe Key, FL 33042   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cudjoe Key
Cape Cod Massachusetts
“Not really a resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Unit 66 and on first sight we were really disappointed in the "resort" due to the closeness of the units, the lack of shade and the large number of units. Our unit was very clean and comfortable with all the amenities as promised and we eventually got used to the close proximity of our neighbors. We arrived in the shoulder season so a lot of the units were empty which kept the road directly in front of our unit relatively quiet. We used the facilities including the pool, hot tub and beach area and all were very clean and well maintained. We grew to really enjoy our time there. This is not a place for those looking for a lot of night activity or a party atmosphere but if you're looking to just relax it may work for you. The majority of residents are over 55 and we found them to be friendly as we did all of those working there. I would suggest double checking the unit in any way you can before committing as we saw a lot of units that looked rather old, in need of repair or out in the hot Florida sun with no sheltering palms. The beach is a typical Florida Keys beach-manmade with coral spread over a hard surface but nothing any different from the majority of any beach down there. Bahia Honda State Park is about 15 minutes from there and it offers a large sandy ocean beach. All in all, not everyone would like Venture Out but perhaps worth a look.

Room Tip: Check out the unit very carefully before you book it and I would suggest staying away from those uni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

They really think they are something.....in my book....not so much! It is a Trailor park with a few RVs and park units mixed in...not a resort! Not a resort! The "owners" do not seem to have manners, class nor the entitlement they presume. Between the gate keepers, condo association and the reality office...you.d think they were miles apart instead of less then 10 feet....they do not work well together....they probably do not even know each others names! And rules! No water at the pool...don.t walk your dog inside the gate...walk them in the neighborhood instead? For goodness sake...don.t ask for ice, park your car or...just Isn.t worth it.
Strangest, weirdest UNFRiendLiest pla d I have ever seen! Maybe they do deserve the nick name...DENTURE OuT, don't waste your money here...you'll be glad you didn.t!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Belmar, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed one month in a private rental. My husband and I loved it and so did our 30 yr old visiting teacher daughter from NYC. It's relaxing ,Clean, clean, clean, I was at ease in the hot tub which I usually don't like soak due to less than sanitary conditions...venture out is older well maintained units. I will agree about most beds are awful ( all our new friends who rented complained also...

I am looking forward to owing a unit shortly, and replacing beds with memory foam beds which I love especially after 3 spinal surgeries.. We are pre retirement age and had a blast there, dancing at looe key bar, motorcycling riding with a club at vo, boating scuba diving right off the dock, swimming laps in the roped off area of the ocean . We had several outdoor dinner parties with lots of laughing, no one complained.. I love it there...we may be older, but not dead! Ps. The realtors there are lazy.... Ask lots of questions and get answers! I can judge because iam a working realtor for over 25 years in one of the toughest markets in the country. New Jersey shore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you are over 55 this might be an ok place for you. We didn't see anyone staying there under that age. I understand that cleanliness and condition will be different with each unit - the one we stayed in was r in need of repairs, cleaning people should be doing a much better job and it had sugar ants. The beds were older than the residents and uncomfortable (again will vary unit to unit).
The walls in these mobile homes are paper thin and you can hear everything. They are also right on top of one another. Zero lot lines.

Yes they are on the water and the Keys are beautiful - a lot of these units are on canals or the open water. I was there for a job and am going back in 3 weeks and bringing the family. After a lot of searching and phone calls we finally found a house to rent (you have to find one being rented by owner. Monroe Co. has a law against renting for less than 28 days). We found a real house 3/2 on the open water for the same price as a 2/2 in VO.

Room Tip: You can find better!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Live oak fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went down to spend Christmas in cudjoe key in 2012, we live in north Florida . My husband had called the reality company to see if we could bring our gas powered golf cart. They told my husband that we could so we got a trailer loaded the cart and away we went when we got there we were told not to even take it off the trailer. We had to park it in the over flow parking along with our other truck.. You can only have one car parked at the house after 11:00, we had our adult kids and grand baby so we had to walk or drive a quarter of a mile to get to the over flow parking to get the other truck so we could go anywhere. I sent an email to the reality company and she sent me a response saying my husband was not telling the truth about this, and that she did tell him that. Trust me we would not have spent an extra 200. 00 to 300.00 dollars to bring it down if we where not going to be able to use it. The house was ok the beds were not very comfortable . Over all the house was ok. We will not stay there again, mainly because of the realiy company being so misleading. Make sure you check out all the rules if I where you I would call the venture out people to find out the real rule that they have.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This development has a large number of very small lots with individual dwellings, many on the water. Most of the houses fill to a foot of the lot line with no yard. Some of the houses are pre-built. Some slots seem to be RV lots. Your experience will depend a lot on the unit you get. Ours was clean but cheaply furnished and outfitted. The TV channels were the absolute minimum available without such standards as ESPN so forget watching football except on the 3 major networks. You can watch the Barbie Channel instead. It did have good wireless. The place was small (though as large as most) and although it had beds for 6 and two baths, even four adults would be cozy. When neighbors rev their boat up at 5:30 AM for a fishing trip you'll be awake. There are amenities such as pool tennis courts and many fun things to do nearby: beaches, snorkeling, kayaking. I would not consider this a resort. An inexpensive place to sleep and shower while you enjoy the region perhaps. There are many nice rental homes available on this and nearby Keys which are larger and more attractive. If you have more than 2 people in the group I'd go with one of them.

Room Tip: Go to a different resort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bourne, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I think it is very unfair that venture out resort is getting bad reviews...It is truly based on the rental unit you have and if you dont do some research you could end up with a bad experience. I have stayed at venture out in a beautiful rental on the water. I love the amenities that are offered, i feel that some people that are writing these reviews have high expectations for a "resort" type of vacation, there is plenty to do or you can just relax and enjoy what venture out has to offer. An added bonus is that is very close to Key West and other great spots for some sun and fun!

Room Tip: Do the research for a unit that will accomodate you.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Venture Out Resort? Share your experiences!