“Fleas- but the staff was wonderful in fixing the problem” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
“Fleas- but the staff was wonderful in fixing the problem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I arrived at the hotel for a late check in. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and showed me where my room was on the map. I made it to the room and when I walked in everything looked fine. I put my bag on the floor and noticed a bug on my arm. I flicked it off thinking that it was on me from when I walked in from the outside. Ummmm, NO. I went to take a shower and notice a couple more bugs in the sink and when I looked at them, they jumped. Still not really thinking anything about it, i jumped in the shower. I went back into the room and noticed that there was a flea on my leg and then on my arm. I immediately called the front desk and notified them that the hotel room had a flea infestation. I was told they would move me immediately and they did. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran out of the room to get the new key. I spent the rest of the evening in the new room going through my suitcase making sure the fleas were not in my suitcase. I did not get a lot of sleep.

To be fair, the hotel staff reacted appropriately and moved me immediately. He upgraded my room but sadly it was so late at night, the view he gave me was wasted on me but I appreciated the gesture. I did get to enjoy the view in the morning. My friend stayed at the hotel on following Friday and did not have any problems. I did tell her what room to stay away from just in case.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Abartlett22, General Manager at Plantation on Crystal River, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Daer valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on our establishment. Although we appreciate your self diagnosis we find your accusations to be false. We have the world wide leader in cleanliness services as our provider and we do not have a so called infestation of which we are happy to share. What you may have encountered was something many Floridians know as "No-seeums". These are small pesky type of bugs that live in the moss and the grasses of Florida near waterways and can hide on you from simply walking by a try or over some grass. They are similar to the black fly of the northern states but so are so small you can not see them until you feel them hence the nickname" no seeums"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Katy, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Set in a dead, sad little town it was ok. Trying to be a luxury destination but missing the details. The room was out dated and sad looking-smelled overwhelmingly of cleaner. Mold on the bathtub. The pool was quaint but clean and nice. Restaurant was ok-again, trying to be luxury but not quite making it although you could see they tried which is more than i can say for many big chains purporting to be luxury.

Lynchburg, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My family and I stayed for 3 days and were not impressed. This is a very old property, and is very pretty on the outside. The tub did not drain, the staff was not very helpful, the website stated there was a continental breakfast (there is not), and the walls are very thin. I was expecting a four star resort and got an "airport" hotel experience.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here for one night.
The value was tremendous!
It was a great location, right on the river.
The pool was very nice right on the river also.
No problem with cleanliness or bugs, our stay was uneventful and very nice!
The beds were very comfortable. Excellent service.
A dated hotel but still a great experience!

My only complaint was that the coffee was $2.50 a cup. Bring your own!

Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is an old property, but it is kept up nicely. The rooms are decent. The terrible news is that the doors slam from one end of the hallway to the other, and it literally rattles the walls. It is terrible. Impossible to sleep if you're anything close to a light sleeper. I have travelled extensively for work and pleasure for almost 30 years. I have only experienced such extreme door slamming noise twice before, but never to the extent that they rattle the walls. It's worse during the family vacation times, because kids are running everywhere and going in and out.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying at plantation at crystal river beginning of June. It was awesome. Now the rooms are functional - however the experience is phenomenal!! Great for family, couples or just to get away..and def take the scenic river tour with captain ed. The man was fun, knowledgeable and even found some manatees (which was huge as this is apparently off season!)

• Stayed June 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Dive shop and the resort were amazing, friendly staff and took care of everything we asked, and at a very reasonable rate on top of that.
The diving was the best we had had , with Captain Ross Files, both Manatee snorkeling as well as Rainbow river scuba.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Our walk out room on the Canal gave us views of dolphins and manatees without an hour of us arriving...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Plantation on Crystal River? Share your experiences!