My wife and I spent 3 days at this beautiful hotel. We had some absolutely wonderful experiences and some constructive criticism. First the good - the rooms are extremely nice, with a view overlooking the river, beds were very comfortable, bathrooms perfect. I travel all over the world, and we have stayed in some 5 and 6 star resorts, and this would rate about a 4. The staff couldn't have been nicer, all the way from the cleaners to the front desk. The food was really good, and the best that we had in Crystal River (more rating on other restaurants will be given). She-crab-soup was delicious. We both had the salmon special which was extremely well prepared and wonderful. Unfortunately, the spa is closed Sundays and Mondays. My wife would have like to take advantage while I golfed, since the weather was quite cold.
The Manatee Swim was a great experience, the dive shop at the Plantation is friendly and thoughtful, and our guide, Captain Paul couldn't have been more knowledgeable and intuitive to our individual needs. We had a fantastic experience and a lot of fun, especially when Captain Paul did his best imitation of an Italian Captain (inside joke - have to ask him).
The golf course was OK, not spectacular, but decent. Greens were in great shape, and fairways kept up very well. Just not an incredible layout, but enjoyed it anyway.
Now the criticisms: If you want to be considered as a destination, I believe that WiFi should be an automatic. Having to pay for ATT Wireless is a complete rip-off and extremely expensive, especially for people like my wife and I who travel with iPhones, iPads, etc. Each device gets charged per day. Plantation - take a note - WiFi is cheap - put it in, or don't expect return visits. We stayed at a cheapo hotel on the way to Florida, and it offered free WiFi. Also, without any other entertainment, an opportunity to rent a movie would have been nice.
Dive shop - your guide to preparing us was horrible. We didn't have a place to store our clothes and valuables that was secure, (they have lockers, with no locks) which meant we brought our clothes and valuables with us on the boat, and had no dry location - everything was wet. My expensive iPhone was OK, but could have been a problem. Tell people to bring a waterproof bag with them for their valuables and clothes, and tell them to bring extra towels. Also, a waterproof camera is a must. One last thing, when you put a wet-suit on, the zipper goes in back - something else that the dive shop could have informed us on, after all we are novices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Plantation on Crystal River A hidden gem located on the Nature's Coast of Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, our beautiful 50-year-old eco-friendly and green luxury resort hotel's surrounded by the natural springs of Kings Bay. This bay, in Crystal River, is one of the largest spring systems in the state and home to more than 500 West Indian Manatees that migrate each year to the warmth of the springs. We sit on 232 acres of lush preserve land with emerald greens and grand oaks, and house hundreds of birds and wildlife that include: Osprey, Sandhill Cranes, Blue Heron, Red-Bellied Warbler, Yellow-Bellied Warbler, Neotropic Cormorant, Great Egret, Eagles and Grey-Horned Owls to mention a few. OUR HOTEL IS THE PLACE TO STAY & PLAY IN CRYSTAL RIVER, FL Centrally located from Tampa and Orlando, we are a great location for your next • Florida vacation • Corporate Meeting or Retreat • Florida golf vacation • Incentive Group • Florida Wedding • Family Reunion • Fraternal Groups Should you have frequent business in the Citrus County, we have corporate rates available. We have over 12,000 sq. ft. of flexible indoor meeting space and beautiful outdoor locations with water views a great backdrop for your special occasion, team building event, or to simply relax and take in the Florida Sunshine and perfect weather. Remember to visit Spa Bleu at Plantation while staying at the Resort to experience a moment of wellness at our first class Aveda Spa. Offering facials, massage therapy,body treatments, Vichy shower, pedicures, manicures, and a full hair-care Salon. And don't forget we are a world class fishing destination as well. Our Adventure center offers guided fishing charters as well and many other water based activities. Including our Trip Adviser top rated "Swim with the Manatee tours". We are the place to play and stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Choice Hotels, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Plantation on Crystal River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation On Crystal River Hotel Crystal River
- Plantation Hotel Crystal River
- Plantation Resort Crystal River