“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Crystal River
Ontario
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

At 4:30pm, when a group of six women checked in right next door to us, proceeded to drag all the pool chairs to right outside their (our) room, and started carrying on, we asked to be moved. "No rooms available" according to the desk clerk.

They left for dinner and upon their return at 9pm, the party resumed, louder and rowdier than ever. At midnight, one passed out right in front of our door. I called the desk, she came to their room, said, "someone complained," had to help haul the passed out woman to her feet, and the party simply moved inside to the room. At 1:30, with the tv blasting and the hollering escalating, I called to complain again. At this point, the same clerk who told us no rooms were available agreed to move us ... but, why should we have to haul all our stuff to another room in the middle of the night, rather than stopping the noise?

Let me say here: the owner of the hotel did make it right the next day. We didn't pay, as we shouldn't. Credit for that. But we got less than 2 hours sleep.

But, this hotel is right on the cusp of being very bad. Everything needs a coat of paint, a thorough cleaning, refreshing, etc. There were many unsavory characters hanging around--men without shirts drinking beer in the courtyard, another who appeared to be urinating in the nearby bushes. I did not feel secure.

When I went to get coffee in the morning, there was none made, even though the sign on the machine said "coffee available from 6am till 10am". It was 7:10am. No breakfast was included.

On another note. This is yet another so-called "pet friendly" hotels that charge $15 for the privilege. The carpet was so ingrained with dirt that a dog could do nothing to hurt it. Travelers with well behaved dogs must start taking a stand against these gratuitous fees.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel awhile back - March 2011 - as a stopover in Crystal River to go see the manatees.

Despite selecting a non-smoking room, we were given a smoking room which, of course, reeked of cigarettes. The room was just disgusting. Bathroom light was broken; stains in the tub; clearly was not cleaned. Just nasty.

I returned to the front desk to see if there was anything that could be done, but she said that she had a full house that night, and that no other rooms were available. BUT, she had a de-ionizer! "Leave that running for 45 minutes and the smell should come right out!" So we left that running (sounded like a jet engine) while we went to dinner (anything to get us out of the room).

When we returned to the room, the smell of cigarettes still remained. OK, one night, it won't be that bad, let's get ready for bed....

Took the sheets off and then the pillows...and what do we have here: two USED cigarette butts laying on the mattress. I dropped what I was doing and returned to the front desk. There, I waited while two other people checked in (wished in hindsight that I steered them elsewhere), then spoke to the front desk attendent.

Now, I know this woman didn't put those cigarette butts there, but the manner in which she behaved almost sent me through the roof. I explained to her what happened and that I'd like a new room, and if that wasn't an option, I'd like a full refund. She huffed at me as if I was putting her off, and asked what room I was in ("sorry to disturb you, ma'am). I told her. Then she asked why we didn't come down immediately when we checked in - I told her we just took the covers off, to which she huffed again and explained that we should have come down right away...I said "listen, there are USED cigarette butts in our bed. We're not sleeping there." She told me that since we booked through a 3rd party, they couldn't offer a refund, but that we could switch rooms.

We finally did get another room, which wasn't much better. Needless to say we checked for cig butts right away. Bathrrom was still a dump and nothing worked. There was a decent view from our room of a small bay, which we would have enjoyed were there not vagrants and gangs in the back lot. Must have been spillover from the Roadhouse bar next door. ugh.

Otherwise, the hotel still was terrible. ONLY ONLY ONLY redeeming quality was that it was close to the manatees.

I don't know how some reviews here are anything but a 1/5..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

This Days Inn lies beautifully on the west side of Highway 19. It has a nice lake scene behind the building with convenient access to many of the local water adventures, including manatee tours, snorkeling, river boat parties, fishing, kayaking, and an excellent place for scalloping. It is also located within walking distance to a Denny's and a bar. I had an overall great stay, the room was replenished with dry clean towels everyday, I slept like a baby in the comfortable beds, the room was clean and filled with many of the amenities that most other hotels do not have, especially at this price. The room included cable TV, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. The inner rooms over looked a beautiful courtyard where the pool is also located. The staff was amazing and very friendly, I even had a chance to meet the managers of this property and they are the nicest people you could ever meet! I would not pass up the opportunity to stay at this hotel again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Great value, has good packages and is conveniently located to the manatee tours. Clean place with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is another return trip to Crystal River,and the Days Inn.We love this place.We always get a nice welcome ..The staff is just great...Rooms are clean and refreshing.The pool area is very nice and clean and great for our children..The Denny's resturant is one of the best ive been at.The dive shop on property is truely amazing,If you want to take a manatee tour.They also have A gift shop there .I would highly recommend to anyone traveling thru citrus county or the west coast of florida.Ounce you get there and settle in,and meet the staff ,and look around at the grounds .you will be a return guest as well...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Casselberry, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

wow for the money very nice was only going to stay two days but ended up staying for 5 very clean and staff very helpfull with info about touring the area

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This place had a good vibe about it. Staff was nice. Location was convenient.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Crystal River? Share your experiences!