“Older but nice place.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Olympia
“Older but nice place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yes this is an older place and I read a few bad review on it but we took the chance. Our rooms were just fine, as I said older, but good bang for your money. We stayed three nights and had no problems. The view out our window of the marina and bay were great (although Friday night bar got a little loud), we stayed Wed.-Fri. Friday morning we got up early (made arrangements the day before at the dive shop) and took kayaks out to see wildlife and saw lots of Manatees, fish and birds.
The staff was very helpful with the kayak and local information.
We plan on returning next year! Thanks

Room Tip: We stayed in building D overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Daventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had 2 nights here in a room overlooking Crystal River - the view was incredible - beautiful quiet location with great access to the river - hired a boat for the afternoon and saw some great sights including manatees, dolphins and alligators :-)

The hotel was clean and comfortable regardless of the fact it all looked a bit 'tired'

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
porthotel, Manager at The Port Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank You very much for your review and sharing your wonderful experience with Port Hotel and Marina. We appreciate your business. We are working our best to make positive changes and improving place. Will be looking forward to see you back soon...Thank You..JP
Fort Myers, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The historic hotel is in need of some renovation, but our room, on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool, was acceptable and the beds were VERY comfortable (and new we were told). The restaurant had great food and live music most nights. The rates per night were inexpensive. My husband and I were the only 2 on this stay, and we enjoyed every minute of it! My recommendation: Go to Three Sisters. The water is the clearest I have ever seen in my life. We went in August and although the temps were in the 90s, the water at Three Sisters was quite chilly. One important thing if you go to Three Sisters: you can not step foot on the surrounding preservation land or anchor a boat to it in any way. This sounds like a small detail, but after we rented a canoe at the Port Marina, including an anchor, and paddled to Three Sisters, we realized how creative you must be to get out of a canoe with no beach. Ah, but wait...then you have to get back into the canoe! We managed to find a small area of land where we got back into our canoe safely after viewing the gorgeous natural springs below. Words can not describe the beauty of the 3 springs below the water. Next time we go, and we will, we have a plan: Trailer a larger boat or carry an inflatable one in the car, and paddle to the same Three Sisters. However, we will anchor our boat just outside the entrance to the area and float in on rafts. That is your best bet if you want to enjoy the beauty of this special place. Oh, and although this is the only place in the US where you can swim with manatees, we did not see any at that time, but we only stayed for 3 days. And we're from Fort Myers and have seen manatees before. That was not our reason for going. There are many more areas to explore and we only scratched the surface. The staff was very nice and if you can overlook a few areas in need of updating then this is the place for you. No suits and ball gowns allowed. We loved it and will be back as soon as we buy a boat!

Room Tip: The 2nd floor has a lot of steps, so if you'll be coming and going a lot with heavy items, defin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
porthotel, Manager at The Port Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We, at The Port Hotel and Marina are working on improving the place from where we are right now. Hop to see you very soon...JP
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This establishment should just be bulldozed and start over...upon arriving the room was dark, dank, no air was turned on for my reservation. There were dead bed bugs in the blanket...none that I could see were alive..the carpets were nasty, the tub dirty, maybe they ran out of bleach that day...the microwave was greasy and smelled like old pizza rolls....the restaurant the first night was awesome, and then was downhill don't get the roast beef...or the chicken wings...both were tough which is hard to do....they should just make this a fishing camp...period....oh and on Saturday night at 12 am had to call the front desk as drunkards with a loose pit bull reigned terror in the empty restaurant outdoor seating area....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We are really very sorry for you having such experience with Port Hotel and Marina. We are working our best to make changes and improving place. We recently changed mattresses, furniture and still working on things which are needs to be taken care of. We apologies for such an experience. .....JP
Düsseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Chose the hotel because of the dive shop on the premisses, offering manatee swim tours. It needs a lot of renovation: both bedside lamps were not working, but quickly replaced. Furniture and carpet worn out. Bath is small, but there was an extra washplace in the "hallway" between antechamber and bedroom, which had a porch with nice view to the harbor. The looks were not working properly, it was hard to lock the front door and the backdoor to the porch was secured by a piece of wood. WiFi in the room worked fine.
Late check-out (12:30) after the manatee tour was no problem.
The nearby restaurant serves excellent fish dishes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let's start by saying a coat of paint would go a long way. We did not expect much from the room from the reviews that we read, so we were not disappointed. It was spacious, clean enough, and the bed was very comfy. The views are great and so is the location. Very friendly staff at hotel, dive shop and adjacent restaurant. We noticed some rooms were renovated, when they get to the rest of the place that will be great. We enjoyed the fun atmosphere of the place and will probably visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

First; the good news.

The views from all the guestrooms at this resort are breathtaking! The amenities are numerous and the staff at this old and run-down facility go out of their way to make guests feel at home. But no effort, regardless of how Herculean, could ever put this “Humpty-Dumpty back together again… EVER! When we first arrived at this hotel it was late in the evening (9:30PM) and most of the grounds were dark due to the high number of vacant rooms. (There were only two other rooms occupied. That should have served as the first sign of trouble.) What we could see was a very old front-office (my guess is early 70s) which houses the check-in desk.

When I entered the office to check-in, I was greeted by a kind woman who provided me only one room-key (an OLD, oversized key attached to the antiquated and oversized plastic key-tab hotels used way-back when) eventhough she was aware there were two other guests staying with me. She provided me instructions how-best to find my second-story room, and then informed me our “complementary continental breakfast” would be right in front of the check-in desk between the hours of 7 and 10AM. Seeing how little area there was to present such a complementary service, I assumed there was going to be little to impress me in the way of offerings the next morning.

When we first entered, what we found was a room from “The Land That Time Forgot” The carpets, although apparently clean were a bit worn and looked like they too had not been changed since the 1970’s. The filter from the air conditioner in the front of our King-Suite looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in ages (I will try to up-load a pic later) there were no robes (as were promised in the hotel advertising hanging in our doorless-closet) and the tub/shower-enclosure was missing a hand-rail, resulting in water getting behind the enclosure, creating breeding-grounds for mold and mildew. The finish of the enclosure was worn, and slightly stained because of the condition of its finish, and all of the furnishings of the room showed equal wear and abuse from more than 20 years of service. Then, when getting to the rear of the suite where the king-bed was located, we found the slider-doors which led out to the un-screened lanai. They too, were from original construction and difficult to open. Fortunately, no one was directly next to or below us, because the noise generated from the difficulty in opening the door would have surely transferred to either of these guest-rooms, waking those guests up.

Because I knew our work was going to carry us into the early hours of the next morning (we didn’t get to bed until 2:45AM) I had requested a late check-out. What I got was a rude awakening to the sound of lawnmowers and weed-wackers at 7:50 AM directly below my window! When I came to return my key that morning, I pointed this out to the desk-clerk who patiently waited for me to finish voicing my complaint, and then kindly explained to me her opinion: that “…8AM is considered a reasonable time for people to begin their work.” I followed by saying: “I have no problem with landscaping crews working at 8AM, just not directly below my window! This is not a professional office complex you are operating; it is a hotel and resort. Your landscapers should have more consideration for your guests than they currently have, and so should you!”

After finishing my rant, my eyes caught a glimpse of the counter off to my immediate left; that being the continental breakfast-bar. And what they found was nothing more than my assumptions from the previous night being fully-realized. There, all by themselves were three cellophane-wrapped Danish, a pre-1980 push-button single-serving coffee machine, and what looked like orange TANG in a plastic pitcher. Keeping in mind, it was the end of the complementary-breakfast period, I didn’t expect a large offering of muffins, Danish, cookies or donuts; BUT seeing just three packaged “Little Debbie” treats simply does not qualify for what business-travelers consider a “continental breakfast”.

The three main reasons we selected this property for our overnight-stay were its location which boasts of the amazing sunsets (which we arrived too late to witness) over the bay-front seawalls; a marina, restaurant (both which were closed by the time we arrived) and its fully-equipped SCUBA shop that would provide us with an excellent excursion out to the spring-head located less than a quarter-mile from the property. While missing the sunset and dinner at the restaurant were no fault of the property or staff, learning the next morning the SCUBA shop offered NO excursions to the spring, and only the option of renting and captaining my own boat if I wanted to sneak in a SCUBA dive before heading back to my home-base was a HUGE disappointment, especially after reading on their website and Trip Advisor they did offer such options to divers. This was the last straw on what turned out to be a very all-round lousy experience.

Although I read the prior reviews of this hotel carefully, I allowed my desires to stay here take the logic out of my decision-making process. That was a BIG mistake on my part. And while this property has oodles of potential, it seems the owner is as tired when it comes to running a top-notch facility, as his property portends the moment you set foot on it.

BE ADVISED: If views of sunsets over the waterfront and a chance-siteing of a manatee or dolphin are all you’re after, you may have positive opinion of this place. BUT; if you want to experience a comfortable stay in a modern hotel/resort, drive on sir, drive on.

Room Tip: If you want a perfect view of the marina and sunsets, ask for a 2nd-story room in the "BLUE&quo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Port Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!