“Don't trust the Web site” 1 of 5 stars

The Port Hotel and Marina
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1610 S.E. Paradise Circle, Crystal River, FL 34429   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Boynton Beach, Fla.
“Don't trust the Web site”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

I saw the Web site for this "hotel" when I was doing research for a weekend manatee dive trip. It looked promising, so when I called the hotel and heard the rate was only about $80 per night, I booked it right away. That would be the biggest mistake of the trip!

Seven reasons to avoid this junker of a hotel at all costs:

1) Dirty, dirty, dirty. There was dust everywhere and stains and cigarette burns in the carpeting.

2) Super-thin walls. If you don't like hearing your neighbor's television, conversation or bathroom experiences, then don't stay here. My wife and I joked that we might as well have all shared one room.

3) The remote control didn't work. When I called to ask about how to remedy the situation, the front desk said a maintenance person would come. They didn't come for two days. Every time I called, they said that the maintenance man "didn't show up" that day and they didn't know what to do.

4) The televisions themselves were relics and barely worked.

5) The showers produced, at best, luke warm water.

6) The "porch" and outdoor walkway to our room was made out of plywood, which was warped. You felt like you might break through at any time.

7) The lay-out of this joint is seriously out of whack. To get to the front desk, you need to walk around a bunch of gated areas.

My trip was amazing. This was the only downside, and it was a big one.

• Liked — The bar next door and the location.
  • Disliked — Everything else... the rooms, the cleanliness, the poor service, etc.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Tampabay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

One of the selling features on their website is that ,"It's fit for a king", because Elvis stayed there while filming in the 60's. Well Elvis has left the building!!! This place is a literal roach motel. I found roaches *inside* the microwave and the refrigerator and drawers! Not to mention the place is falling apart with holes in the walls, doors that don't slide and half of the lights wouldn't come on. There is also a layer of grime on everything.
My family and I booked for 2 nights and our budget prevented us from just going to another hotel since they wouldn't provide us with a refund.
We didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway, but I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.
The location is great and the Three Sister springs are a wonder to behold but sleeping outside on the ground is probably cleaner than this place!

• Liked — The location on the river was close to the springs
  • Disliked — The filth and roaches
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

Looking for a place to spend the night at Crystal River I found this hotel on the Crystal River Web page. I called and talked to Marge who I think was the manager. She told me the place was old but assured me it was clean. this was not the case however. I will assume some responsibility for my dilemma because when we checked in we had been fishing and boating all day and was in a hurry to meet friends for dinner. when we got back however I realized there was a dirty wash cloth up in the shower, but the shower for the most part seemed clean. I took my shower and went to bed. I awoke around 3am with a pounding headache and very congested. I thought maybe I hadn't drank enough water thru the day. As the morning went on I was feeling worse around 6am I tried to go back to sleep didn't work. then I thought there has to be something in this room that was making me ill. They have window ac units in the Living room and the bedroom. I have never in my life thought about checking filters is these before anywhere i have stayed but I did this time. Needless to say they were disgusting filthy. I pulled them out and opened up the patio doors, to get some fresh air, by that time my husband said we needed to get out of there. Within a couple of hours of checking out I was feeling much better. In addition the carpets were very dirty, and on our way out we noticed that the pool was green with algae and very dirty. On check out I showed the clerk the dirty filters and told him of the rough nite I had, he said there wasn't anything he could do about it. Just so happen the manager called and said to take $25.00 off our bill I do not think that was sufficient, also she never asked to talk to me. I have learned a lesson to see the room before check-in.

• Liked — location on the water
  • Disliked — dirty accommodations
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Frederick, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

Stayed two nights on a diving trip. Dive shop with boat rental on the property is the best feature. Place is old and run down. Our room was not a "remodeled" one with a microwave and frig. I think the remodeling only consisted of adding these applainces to a sad room. Every thing in our room was worn, patched or repaired. They did bring fresh towels and try to clean the room but they could not dress up a dive. The room door did not fit with big cracks,and would stick closed. The patio door lock was a piece of wood in the track. The globes on the bath light were gone and only one of the exposed four bulbs worked. The pillow for the sleep sofa was a wopping 2" tick. There were no hangers in the doorless closet to hang cloths on. The air conditioners are the room type which of course make a lot of noise. We stayed on one of the coldest nights, we ran them on heat all nigh but it was still cool in the room. It was a tiny bit better than the Motel 6 in Jacksonville FL that we stayed in on e the way because we didn't see any roachs in the room. It's a shame that the owners would not do some minor repairs to this property that has a great location. Without major renovation it's never going to be more than a dive at best.

• Liked — Dive Shop and Boats on property
  • Disliked — Worn out
  • Stayed February 2007
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days because we were taking the PADI dive course. The hotel is an older hotel and probably needs to be renovated on the inside somewhat soon but I do not think it is nearly as bad as the reviews that I have read. Our room was kept clean. The outside is very nice and clean, great restaurant connected to the hotel with great food, tiki bar and in a prime location.
Also, the staff was so friendly. Our room was a nice size and I thought for the price was fine to stay in for 5 days. I have no complaints about this hotel. It is not the Ritz of course, but for the cost and location , we had great time while we stayed there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dothan, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2007

The hotel is so run down & dirty, it is so sad to see a beautiful piece of waterfront property directly across from King Spring in such bad shape, they still have old A/C units built into the walls with gaps so big you can see outside, if the owners would ever remodel it could be such a beautiful place, it is in a prime location. The restaurant though is the best place on the property, great food. If you are going to stay in Crystal River there are alot better choices for hotels than this place.

• Liked — The Restaurant
  • Disliked — the hotel itself
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

I was in Crystal River for a Little league function, and not knowing better, was booked into this hotel. Upon arriving,I almost started to cry. Due to the tournament there were no other open hotels and I had already paid this one by my credit card so I was stuck. My room was very run down and very dirty. There were cob webs, soft wood and stains everywhere. The stairs leading to my 2nd floor room were rotting and shook if more than one person walked up at a time. Some rooms had open spaces between the 30 year old wall a/c units and the walls exposing the outside. In my 41 years living in Florida, i have stayed at many hotels. I have never experienced such a dirty and run down place. There is no shame in being an old historic hotel. The shame is in being dirty and unsafe

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Port Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!