“Abandoned” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Tampa
“Abandoned”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

If you like sleeping in abandoned buildings , then this place might be for you. If you have no sense of smell and don't mind an air conditioning unit that sounds like a jet engine, then this place is for you. If you are not over 6', and have absolutely no sense of interior design, then you certainly won't mind the low popcorn ceiling and horrific decor. No coffee, no cable, no fridge, no flat screen, no real amenities to speak of save the view. My dog wouldn't even rent a room here!

Room Tip: no room is a good room here
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Media
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We are not picky, so I as I read the reviews before booking I felt we would only be there one night and it would be okay. We arrived on the day they were switching out mattresses. We were okay with that.. Entered our room on the 1st floor in the A building, to a BIG whiff of cigarette smoke. Okay, next, walked through the room to open the curtains, spiders (3) fell from them and landed on me, EWW! The sliding door had multiple locks on it that did not work since the door would not completely close, so they resorted to installing a chain. I guess that is how the spiders got in.... AND although we tried very hard to open it, we felt we would break the door if we tried any harder and gave up.
Asked the receptionist to use the printer to print out a forgotten coupon, not available, if you need computer access, FORGET IT.
Bottom line, really did not feel safe so we turned our key in and went to the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Palm Valley, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Okay, so if your looking for something, nice, on the waterfront, well then this is not your place. I booked our reservations online, and of course you never know what your going to get doing that. I have to be honest and state that when we travel we usually stay at places like Hampton Inn. There wasn't anything like this on the water.. So we took our chances. Upon driving in, I took one look and almost cried. It was like circa 1950's. Which we found out it was. Elvis actually stayed here/and or filmed a movie in this very Hotel. Finding the office wasn't 'hard' but not easy, as there wasn't a sign for the office....and it appears that the office area has settled quite a bit. We checked in and we were handed the 'key'...A real KEY! How long has it been since hotels used real metal keys... Upon finding the building that our room was in, I then spied the staircase that we must use to get to the second floor. It didn't appear very solid to me. It was old and wooden. I swear that the closer I got to the top the shorter I got. All I could think of was the staircase giving way. But, it didn't. I dared not rely on the railing. Found our room and went inside. It was like stepping back in time. BUT, it was fairly clean. I was about to cry. My b/f and I are not uppity up type people, but this was a stretch for us. Now we had noticed at check in that the hotel was in the process of having new beds put into the rooms. There was a sign at the desk stating this. So at least we'd have a comfortable bed.(so we thought, I'll explain more later) We are the type that we bring our own sheets, towels, pillows etc.. So I stripped back the bedding while he was disinfecting the room. WELL I for one am thankful we bring our own, as the sheets were stained. Most likely washed, but eww just the same. The pillows were like flat pancakes. And for a King size bed only three of them. As we prepared for bed, of course we must shower. I can say this the water pressure was good, and there was hot water. The shower curtain had mold at the top around the rings and water just went straight thru it. We were late to arrive as we drove in after work. We had booked a manatee tour for 8:30am, so we had to just deal with things. What an adventure we were going to have. YAY! NOT! Oh one thing, no clock in the room and our TV remote did not work. We made it thru the first night. I can say this. The hotel was quiet and we slept well. Up in the morning we now began to notice we both smelled like cigarettes. What? We don't smoke. AH the mattress. We found it reeked of cigarettes. So we must still have an 'old' mattress. Down the stairs we go, off to swim with the manatees. At bottom of stairs we come across a flat bed trailer fully loaded with mattress'. We were thinking these were the 'old' ones they were taking out.. We were WRONG. These were the ones they were putting in. And they looked just like the one in our room. The ones being replaced were right there and OH MY GOD,now those were OLD...Probably since the 50's. Manatee swim was great. Captain Roderick was awesome. After our swim we decided to just make the best of it. After all Crystal River is small, and we'd waste a lot of our rare free time to find another hotel.. Again like I said it was clean. We tried the ALE HOUSE restaurant. Sat out on the patio for drinks first. There were alot of servers bustling around, but it took us FOREVER to give our order and then receive the drink. It was a beautiful view, but getting too breezy for me, so we took our drinks inside to the bar. The bartender was great. We ordered our meals and we were very surprised. Our food was very good. The bartender was friendly, attentive and informative. Although we won't stay here again, our overall experience wasn't horrid. Having the ability to have a dive shop, kayak rentals, boat rentals, manatee swim, food and a bar on property make this a nice choice. Just don't have high expectations. This place has GREAT POTENTIAL if they did a general renovation. I think they missed their mark by not doing this earlier.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This Hotel not suitable for picky people.Hotel is basic but very adequate and has beautiful views from bedroom,restaurant and grounds.Food was excellent in the Ale House and reasonable.The Happy Hour(4-7pm)was the icing on the cake.Wild life was fantastic as were the staff especially Marge on the front desk.The Hotel is excellent value for what you get.We have no complaints and I believe the management are upgrading rooms with fridges and microwaves.We will definately stay again and hope it doesn't change too much.

Room Tip: upper floor for the best view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Englewood, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

The walls are so thin, I could hear the man in the next room down snoring! Not joking! The mattress and pillows are thin and hard. Could not sleep hardly a wink the whole time I stayed there. If you just want a place to crash after a long day of scuba diving and you are going to be totally exhausted, this might work for you. Place was clean except for the carpets, which I don't think have been vacuumed since 2009. Towel rack fell off the wall when I touched it and there was a leak under the sink with a trash can to catch the water! No coffee pot in rooms, no hair dryer, no clock. "Continental breakfast" consisted of horrible coffee with packets of sugar and creamer along with individually packaged stale, old danish. Nothing else! Yuk!

On the plus side, nice springs right out back and you can launch your boat or kayak from the ramp. A nice rustic restaurant adjacent to the hotel with decent bar food, pool tables and a lovely view of the water. Manatees galore! Not enough to make me ever stay there again, alas. If I can't sleep, I can't stay.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room; there are no elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I just spent a week here, and most of the other reviews are pretty much on target. I looked at three rooms before I found one with unplugged drains, a working phone, and a small fridge. The room was supposed to also have a working microwave, but that was really asking for too much. The bed was hard, the blanket ratty, the room marginally clean, but the view, with a balcony and sliding glass door, probably the best of any motel in Crystal River. Most of the office help were borderline unpleasant, but if I owned a property in the area I would be sure to hire the very pleasant and helpful Rebecca.

• Stayed February 2012
Ellenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Okay. I am reading some of the reviews, and I wonder what people expect for $60.00 a night at the height of the manatee season. This is the second year in a row we have stayed there, and yes, it is old, and yes, we did find a problem. Our friends bed wasn't made and our tub was less than clean, but as soon as we called both items were taken care of immediately. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and nice. If you have a boat and are going to swim with the manatees, there are not many places you can go to that are right on the water and dock your boat, have a place to sleep and take a shower for $60.00. If you are going to on vacation to spend a relaxing weekend with room service, hot tub, etc., this is not the place for you, but if you want to swim with the manatees, boat on the Crystal River and just have a place to shower and sleep, you can't beat this place.

Room Tip: Crackers next to Pete's Pier is a great place to eat, and the Ale House right at this property i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Port Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!