“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Ottawa, Canada
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Good food, especially for the price. Beware though, they don't give you real butter.... Even when you order crab legs! They serve crab legs with melted margarine! Seafood definitely deserves real butter; it took a great experience to just good. Also, not the best service. Our waitress got our order wrong, didn't check in until late in the meal and seemed to be run down.

Visited January 2014

Wade
“Not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The food was less than average and the drinks were horrible. The service was okay, nothing special. The restaurant was clean and we were seated immediately even though we had a fairly large group. My husband and another family member were drinking water and after their glasses were refilled they found that they were drinking soapy water. The waitress apologized and brought new glasses but it was unsettling to say the least.

Visited December 2013
Solihull
“Great fish quality, but spoilt by everything else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very busy restaurant, so is clearly popular. We were given a table inside, although there are some tables on the terrace nicely overlooking the water. The food was served promptly and service was quite attentive, albeit brusque.

We were a party of five and had starters and entrees. Some of the dishes we rated as very good: e.g., coconut shrimp, crab cakes, fried shrimp. The fish served was clearly of an very good quality, but was in our opinion spoilt by flavouring and the sides, which were unexceptional, stodgy and in some cases, e.g. the fries, had added flavours which none of us liked at all. Salmon special was meaty, but not that tasty.

Our overall opinion was that we could get better meals elsewhere at the price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Just an OK experience....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I hadn't been to Charlies for years and wanted to try it again. The service was very good but the food was just OK. I had the shrimp gumbo which was OK but could have been out of a can. The gumbo really needed a little seasoning. I also had a shrimp salad sandwitch and it was a mix with tiny pieces of shrimp and no flavor. All of the food was somewhat bland tasting. I wouldn't order these items again. The view from the restaurant is good but not as good as the view from Crackers next door. Other members of my group enjoyed their lunch and because they did enjoy the food we would probably try Charlies again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wentzville, Missouri
“Top Notch Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This review will be in two parts.

First: Service
Our server, PJ, was quick to greet us, explained the specials, answered any questions we had about the menu and had a quick wit and engaging personality that made us feel welcomed. She interacted with us in a way that no other server ever has which made it much easier to overlook the inadequacies of the kitchen staff.

Second: Food
The food wasn't terrible; however, it was a bit bland and lacking in seasoning. I ordered the Steak Oscar which was delivered with the woody parts of the asparagus still intact. I am not a chef but am experienced enough to know that you are supposed to cut off the tough ends of the asparagus before cooking. My first bite was disappointing and I ended up having to spit it out because I couldn't chew it. After cutting off the ends myself, I enjoyed the meal. My fiancé had the mussels which was heavily seasoned with garlic. On the positive side, the bowl was overflowing with mussels and were cooked very well. My mom ordered the stuffed salmon. It was delicious!

Bonus: The location of the restaurant overlooks King's Bay which added to the ambiance of our dining experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere