“Middle of the road” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Madison, South Dakota
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Decided to try Thai Phoon for dinner based on recommendations on this site. We however were not impressed. Dining room has 15 tables, but 1 is used by staff for bookkeeping.
Upon our arrival, we walked in and from across the room were advised to take any seat we wanted (this greeting was repeated to every other diner who entered while we were there - and always from the other side of the room).
Menu has a decent selection of Thai foods, we decided to split an appetizer and entree. Our app was the Golden Plate, which was a tasting of fried shrimp, veggies, rangoon, wonton and spring rolls. We really enjoyed the light batter on the fried foods and would have enjoyed more of this.
For our entree, we chose the Pad Thai, and asked for it with mixed vegetables instead of any of the meat options. Our waitress said it would be ok, but that it would cost a dollar extra. Our entree came out with lots of veggies and oddles of crushed peanuts on top of the rice noodles. To our tastes this dish was ok, but a bit on the greasy side. Portion size was good.
Nothing fancy, nothing wow, just standard Thai food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Inverness, FL
“Nice ambience, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My group was debating a place to eat after visiting Three Sisters Spring in Crystal River. We had built up quite an appetite with all the walking we had done. We noticed this little restaurant in the mall near where we got the tram to the springs. The members of my group decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. Service was prompt and friendly. The ambience was very nice. The menu listed a multitude of interesting dishes at moderate prices and we could choose how much spice we wanted. Two people had dietary restrictions and they were able to order their choices with offending items omitted. I chose the Pad Thai with chicken, which I have enjoyed in other Thai restaurants. My taste buds were happy with that choice. The other people in my group also enjoyed their meals. I would like to return someday and try one or two of the dishes that my group ordered. The Sauted MIxed Vegetable and the Cashew Nut selections were particularly appealing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hartford, Connecticut
“satisfied my cravings....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I visited this restaurant for the first time on a monday for lunch. When I arrived, the place was already half full and to me thats a good sign considering the restaurant itself is sandwiched in a low price stores strip mall. The waitress was very very attentive and accommodating. I ordered the fresh rolls which then she said they were out of. I replied that's too bad because they are sooooo delicious, well while deciding on my main dish they made me some fresh rolls and brought out a crispy fried roll too, as well as a small bowl of broth with pieces of chicken in it. The fresh rolls were made with the thicker rice noodles and the main dish with the thinner vermicelli like rice noodles which is opposite of what I am used too, but delicious just the same. The only drawback I can see it that for a vegetable pad thai dish there perhaps should have been a few more vegetables, and it was very very salty. It was still very good and I devoured it just the same. I tried the crispy fried roll, but I am not a fan of fried food, so I ended up just eating the inside filling with the dipping sauce which was very flavorful. Unfortunately they were out of take out menus as I would have brought one home to have on hand. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, especially for those like me that like to find the local favorites that aren't overly fancy but the food is top notch. The quality of the food and presentation of the food and staffs attentiveness and cleanliness of the restaurant far outweighs it's decor, and this place has the right stuff. Good job Thai Phoon. I have no problem recommending this place as well as returning soon again myself.

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Wonderful - do it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you like Thai food, this is the place -- it doesn't LOOK like the place, 'cause it's just a small restaurant in a strip mall, but the food and the service is really, really good. If I had one complaint, it would be that, for Thai food, we thought it was very mild (not spicy) -- but maybe we just didn't know what to order. But I'd definitely recommend it.

Visited January 2013
Winter Haven, Florida
“Exceeded Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is just a little hole in wall place that is small and quiet. The people working there were friendly. The food was good and reasonably priced. I had Thai Sweet Tea (good), Thom Ka Gai (good and aromatic), Beef Pad Thai - hot (flavorful and good.) My mom had Spring Rolls - she said they had crispy, fresh vegetables and very flaky crust, she really liked them and she also had the Beef Pad Thai for an entree, but she ordered hers mild and said it was good.
I wasn't expecting much when first going in, but don't be fooled by this restaurant's location and outside aesthetic, it is worth a try.

• Visited January 2013