“Outstanding staff at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables” 5 of 5 stars

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Outstanding staff at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is a beautiful, grand hotel in Downtown Coral Gables. A nice change of pace compared to staying in South Beach. We had a larger room, with a king sized bed and sitting area with a sofa. The bed was very comfortable. The rooms and halls were decorated in shades of chocolate brown and ivory, with designs and patterns in a Moorish style: visually interesting and an attractive alternative from the usual hotel decor. The bath was elegant. We liked the fact that the sink--with it's gold-veined marble countertop--was separated from the room with the tub and toilet.
There was a very nice swimming pool on the 5th floor rooftop, with the rooms on the higher floors overlooking the pool. Being in the middle of Downtown Coral Gables, the view from the pool overlooks other buildings--a long way to the beach from here! But the location means there are a lot of great locally owned restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. The restaurant in the hotel was also very good.
Despite the grand surroundings, what made our stay here special was the staff--the service was uniformly outstanding. From our initial greeting by the front desk clerk, to the concierge, the housekeeping staff, restaurant staff, and even the parking attendant--everyone was friendly and seemed sincerely interested in providing a quality guest experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Don't think I'm overreacting because if you stay at this hotel you will dig a deep hole in your money. The staff was ridiculous! I arrived at the hotel on July the 4th at 3:00 a.m. My flight arrived early at 12:00 a.m. of July 4th. I flew on July 3rd at 6:00 p.m. I booked it on July 4th because I knew I was going to get there early. The customer service was horrible! The guy at the front desk WOULD NOT LET US CHECK IN EARLY! We had to upgrade to a suite or we would be sleeping outside on the couch. The suite costs 120 dollars added to what we paid on priceline plus 40 dollars every night we stay there. I paid like 800 dollars already on priceline prebooked then I had to upgrade to be able to sleep on that night! WHAT GET'S BETTER!? I BROUGHT 4 of my kids and one of their friends on the trip. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PRIVACY. THERE ARE NO DOORS IN THE ARCHWAYS! SO DON'T COMPLAIN IF YOU HAVE TEENS THAT LIKE TO BE LOUD BECAUSE YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON. Just using a water bottle in that room is 8 dollars which is ridiculous! Two of my teens went down for breakfast and they charge a lot of MONEY! It's 12 dollars for 4 pancakes and a side of strawberries (one strawberry cut into 4 pieces). IF YOU'RE 12 and under you can eat as much as you want. Parking was ridiculous $16-$24. Did I mention there are cockroaches in the garage parking lot? You are unable to use meter parking if you are staying there for like a long time. I stayed there for a week so I know what it's like. Room service was friendly, no complaints there. But somehow there fees, when checking out, ended up to be $400 more dollars. That's like a total of $1,200 for the hotel over the course of the week. If you think I'm overreacting and blow off this piece of advice, then that's fine with me since you will be digging deep in your pockets to stay at this hotel where you could find other hotels that are a lot better and are cheaper. Maybe this is a good hotel for couples but not for families! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! BOOK THIS HOTEL AT YOUR OWN RISK! BTW INTERNET COSTS 10 dollars a night. DON'T Expect free wi-fi. THE Only good thing was that it was close to miami beach. 20-25 minutes away. Jacuzzi is still being renovated. No Jacuzzi.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Coral Gables. Had it not been for my GPS chances are I would not have found the hotel, and honestly from the look of the neighborhood in the area of the hotel, I probably would not have asked for directions. With that said........

The hotel appears to be in a city of its own, this is because the area around the hotel does not seem very nice. Upon check-in I was pleased to find out that the Front Desk had put me in a petite suite. Although the room was very nice I found it to be quite sparse, and not very cozy. The bedroom did not have a window, which was a little odd. This was due to the design of the hotel. The bathroom was wonderful and spacious. I really have no complaints about this hotel except for 1. I cannot understand why hotels are still getting away with charging 10 bucks a day for internet access!! When I can go into McDonalds or an Airport(that should be charging) and get free internet for a hotel to tack it on to my bill is crazy. In addition if they are going to charge for internet, it would be nice if it were fast and reliable. The internet at the Hyatt was neither fast or reliable. In Hyatts defense the wireless internet is provided and apparently managed by T-Mobile, so the Hotel really is not to blame.

Other than the internet issue I would definately stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

While the hotel was a little hard to find the first time, the location just off the Miracle mile and the wide accessable sidewalks made this visit ideal.

The hotel was very well maintained and the beds seemed new, even thought the decor is getting a little dated in the rooms. The pool area was a very relaxing oasis in the city.

Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby, including Las Vegas Cuban restaurant that delivers just behind the hotel.

The self parking was just $16 on the rear of the hotel although free safe street parking would have been available from 10 pm to 9 am. and $1.25 an hour prior or after that.

I will definately stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

An exquisite hotel with all the comforts of home. I have to admit the breakfast from Two Sister was a bit pricy, but this is Coral Gables. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed June 2010
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables for a couple nights as I had business meetings in Miami. The location is fabulous - just minutes from the Miami airport. Coral Gables is a really cute area, with great restaurants and shops. All within walking distance of the hotel.

Check in was quite smooth. The hotel gym was under renovations, but the hotel had thoughtfully made alternate arrangements with another hotel down the street. They also provided a convenient running map of the area. I definitely appreciated the fact that they had thought of substitutes while their gym was closed.

When I got to my room, it was quite nice. Very roomy, lots of space. It did have a musty smell, as many reviewers have noted before. I didn't find it unbearable, and I attributed it to the fact that it was 90 degrees and humid outside, and the windows didn't open, so you couldn't get the air circulating throughout the room.

The one thing I didn't like about my room was the view. When I checked in, they told me I had a room with a "city view". I threw open my curtains, expecting to see a beautiful view of Coral Gables. Instead, I found myself staring at a wall, and a window looking into someone else's room. I looked to the left, and looked directly into another room, with a balcony. The room below that had a terrace - the occupants of that room were outside on their terrace until the wee hours of the morning. They weren't being loud by any stretch, however, given the proximity of their terrace to my room and the fact that there was very little sound proofing, I could hear every word.

I highly recommend breakfast in their restaurant. The servers are lovely and attentive, and always made sure my coffee cup was filled.

Overall, I would rate my stay as average. It's a nice hotel, but I got unlucky with my room assignment. If I was staying for an extended amount of time, I would have definitely asked for a different room - perhaps one with a true "city view".

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I got a great rate on Priceline and this hotel was a pleasant surprise. The check-in was one of the fastest ever. The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The room was clean, spacious and in tip top shape. I would definitely stay here -- again and again. Great shopping just a few minutes walk from the hotel. A really nice location if you're interested in the sights of Coral Gables. Not too far from Miami Beach (20 minutes or so), but much quieter. Parking here is $16 vs. $26 if you stay in a downtown Miami hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Coral Gables? Share your experiences!