“Great Hotel in Coral Gables” 5 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago
“Great Hotel in Coral Gables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Hyatt in Coral Gables. The outside of the hotel is classically Mediterranean. The lobby is a bit dated but still charming, but best of all, our room was recently remodeled in dark woods and a marble bath. There was also a large couch and flat screen TV in the room. The fitness center and pool were well maintained and fully stocked with towels. Every employee we ran into was very polite and always asking if they could help with anything. We parked one block away on the street for free and couldn't have had a better time.

The only negative is that Coral Gables is more business-oriented and the restaurants around the block don't stay open late. It is not a big deal since Coco Walk is a 10 minute drive away.

• Liked — The updated room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

The hotel is an average three star. Service is very good. The rooms and facilities are a little bit worn out. if the hotel rates were more reasonable, I would have been happy with my choice. The problem is that this hotel offers three star accommodations and charges four star prices.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

Very nice high end hotel in beautiful historic building in Coral Gables. I admit I don't know much about Coral Gables and I read the short history in one of the books placed in the hotel room. There is fabulous history in this area and the buildings to prove it -- a rarity in Florida. The room was fabulous, as I would expect in a Hyatt. I had an upgraded room though I think it was a mix up at check in. The hotel was undergoing renovation during our stay though it did not significantly impact us. We chided the management for not disclosing this fact on the website. Fabulous, luxurious bed with sumptuous linens; I wish my bed at home was this nice. Bathroom was luxurious with nice amenities, even a travel toothpaste in case you forgot yours. Not very good water pressure but that was a conservation measure so I am not complaining. Nice sofa and desk area. The pool was closed during part of the day during our stay and as the pool bartender noted, why would they choose Saturday to wash the pool area? No tv at the pool to watch college football. There is a nice full service restaurant with good food, but no alternative such as a cafe or sports bar. I had always heard about the "miracle mile" shopping area but it was a huge disappointment. Skip it and instead drive or take a cab to Village of Merrick Park which has all you want or need; beware of the $25 valet.

• Liked — bed and linens
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We got this hotel for a steal through Priceline so we really can't complain about the 16 dollars per night parking fee. Miracle Mile is on the hotel doorstep but I can't think why you would want to shop here unless you were looking for a wedding dress. The hotel is older but well maintained and has a very pleasant pool area. The restaurant is disappointing, lacking atmosphere and serving bland food. Fee for internet access is excessive but we enjoyed all other aspects of our stay.

• Liked — Clean and well maintained
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We live in Sarasota but we love Miami. We always stay at the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables; we visit at least once a month. This hotel has many advantages - it is on a quiet road so you don't get road noise, it is smaller than many hotels so you are not with a bunch of noisy tourists, it is elegant, you can park in the street so you don't have to valet if you don't want, it is just one block from all the shops and restaurants on Miracle Mile so you can walk everywhere, it is very close to Cocoanut Grove which is our very favorite destination to have dinner (especially the restaurant Le Bouchon de Grove - the gem of Miami for great food and atmosphere, maybe of United States! Ask for Sebastian - my personal favorite!!) The only downside to the Regency is the bathrooms are a little outdated i.e. the plumbing fixtures, but then again, I am an interior designer so those little touches stand out to me. This is a great hotel...it really has become our home away from home.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — plumbing fixtures
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Loved my experience at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. Upon arriving at the hotel, the service started at the entrance at the hotel. Was greeted professionally and friendly by the staff, which extended the front desk. Checking in was fast and efficient and was given coupons for the restaurant as I headed to my room. The room size was average, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. My room had a great view of the swimming pool which was really enticing. It was a great stay and would highly recommend it to friends and family.

• Liked — The Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

I stayed for two nights on a weekend trip to see an old friend who lives in the area. Self parking was convenient, but the parking garage is VERY dank, with dripping water (from the pool above, maybe?) and very tight spaces for my larger sedan. Also, there weren't many spaces for self parking - I had to park once in the area marked "Hyatt Employees" because there was nothing else. But the entry to the hotel took you directly to the lobby and was extremely convenient.

Check in was easy and the staff were professional and nice. The room was a good size, with nice enough furniture, but it does seem a little dated. There was a sofa and coffee table in addition to all the usual furnishings and a separate dressing area with padded bench and built-in make up table (but with no make-up lighting!). There was a single-serving coffee maker hidden in the closet with a single packet of coffee (I don't know what they expect couples to do . . . maybe this is to drive business for the Starbuck's in the lobby).

The odd thing about the room was that the desk was placed next to the bed in place of a bed stand. This meant that when one sits at the desk to check email, one cannot also watch Wimbledon on the television, which was what I wanted to do. So I repositioned the desk chair and perched on the end of the desk to do both. Also, there were no outlets within reach of the desk. The closest outlet was easily 12 feet from the desk, so my laptop couldn't charge. There was one behind the bed, but the bed support was a big metal box and I didn't want to try to move it. So I called the front desk and asked for engineering to bring an outlet strip or extension cord. Four hours later, it hadn't arrived, so I called again - this time the desk clerk argued with me - she told me, in a very cross tone of voice, that the desklamp had outlets in it. Mine did not, and it took some convincing before she would agree to send engineering up. The engineer knocked about 30 minutes later and tried to just hand me an extension cord. I told him that he needed to plug it in - I'm glad I did, because it took him a good ten minutes of moving the big metal box of a bed back and forth to get it properly situated.

The lobby lounge was a great place to get caught up with my long-time friend - friendly and unobtrusive service and a lounge singer who was talented. And the bed was comfortable and I slept very well both nights.

After my first day in Coral Gables, I got back to my room at 4 PM and it hadn't been made up - housekeeping knocked and I told them I was about to shower and change and that they could skip my room that day. But before I left I saw that they offered turn down service and a room refresh if you requested it, so I called housekeeping - the telephone rang quite a bit and I finally got their voicemail. So I left a message requesting a room refresh as I left for dinner at 6:30 (requests had to be made by 8:00). When I returned at 1:00 AM, I saw that the room had not been refreshed - so I called the front desk and asked for replacement coffee for the maker at least. The desk clerk offered towels if I needed them and apologized for housekeeping's error. She then delivered two coffee services (accompanied by a security guard, which I can understand) within about ten minutes.

I agree with other comments that the room is a slightly worn, but everything was in decent shape and it is a nicely appointed hotel. A little updating will go a long way. It's a shame about the complete lack of thought in the arrangement of the room furniture - I would think a lot of business travelers would like to sit at the desk and watch television at the same time. And I cannot believe that I'm the first person to complain about the lack of outlets anywhere near the desk - really it feels as if they didn't consider HOW people would use the room when they arranged it.

All in all very nice. A decent three- to four-star hotel.

• Liked — The lobby, pool and public areas are all very nicely appointed.
  • Disliked — I made two requests of housekeeping and engineering and they didn't seem to be taken seriously either time.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
#5 of 11 in Coral Gables
4.0 of 5 stars 183 reviews
Coconut Grove
Hampton Inn Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Hyatt Regency Coral Gables? Share your experiences!