“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Midwest US
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here 3 nights on a recent business trip to the hotel. The hotel is about a 15 minute cab ride from Miami International airport so expect a cab fare of around $18. Check in was quick and Richard at the front counter took his time explaining everything and was very helpful.

The room I had was typical, king sized bed, flat panel tv, desk area, closet to hang clothes in and bathroom with a tub/shower. Overall, I was pleased with the room. I did notice a musty smell upon entering the room and it always seemed like the room had a muggy feel to it compared to the hallways. I did adjust the thermostat, but it always seemed be off a couple of degrees from the setpoint and never shut off unless you actually switched it off. Apparently auto isn't an option on these thermostats. I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to cleanliness of hotels because it really tells you a lot about the quality of the hotel. For the most part, I was happy with how clean the room was. Two items I noticed failed though. First, the coffee maker had obviously not been cleaned out by room service as it had a little bit of water in the reservoir and a used coffee filter still in it. Secondly, on top of the minibar, there is a set of glasses for drinking water. The glasses are sitting on coasters that say "Enjoy your drink". not sure I could enjoy my drink as the coaster it was on was filthy. It looks like they haven't replaced it in months. The glass had finger prints all over it.

Wifi access was included as part of my meeting groups rate so I do not know what it would cost for access. The service though was great...no issues with slow internet. Meeting rooms were located on the mezzanine level and were okay. I thought the room we were in was a little small for our group and for two days everyone complained about how cold the room felt. No matter how much we adjusted the thermostat, it seemed like the AC was always blowing.

The hotel has a nice feel about it. It is very large, but never felt like it was crowded. It has a nice bar area and a restaurant, but I did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot speak for the food or service. I did use the exercise room one morning. In my opinion it seems like an afterthought. It is about the size of two standard rooms and feels a little cramped with equipment. The morning I went down to work out all the cardio machines were in use so I was out of luck.

About a block away is a number of shops and restaurants located on what is called the "magnificent mile" I'm not sure I would call it magnificent. There are quite a few restaurants, but shops are lacking...unless your looking for a wedding dress and then are about 8 different stores that sell dresses. Other than this area, you'd have to take a cab to find any other options for shopping/dining.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and service and would be willing to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here one night as our pre-cruise hotel. It was Art Basel weekend, but we found a decent rate here. Everyone was very friendly from the moment we arrived to departure. The doormen (I think they are outsourced) were great gentlemen.

We were able to walk to anything we needed. Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls were a short distance, some excellent restaurants along Miracle Mile. Very close to MIA airport, too.

The property is ok. Our room smelled like it had water damage, but otherwise it was crazy spacious. Massive ceilings and we had a great view of flights departing MIA.

I'll definitely return and next time request a balcony room. I wanted to have breakfast out on the balcony. :(

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Greetings StarAlly,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. We appreciate this great feedback and are so happy to hear overall you enjoyed your visit. We will definitely follow up with management about the smell you encountered in your guest room and thanks again for bringing this to our attention. We hope you return to soon and hope we are able to provide you with a balcony room so you can enjoy an amazing breakfast on it! Have a great weekend.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

was a bit worried by reviews but had a great room on 12th floor. Lots of room with king bed and sofa in front of that, then table and tv. Writing desk to the side. Forgot razor and one was brought up in 10 minutes. Check in and out was great. Nice exercise room, outdoor pool and jacuzzi not used but looked nice.
Only problem was tough to get the temp up, seemed destined to remain at 70 with cool air.
Proximity to great area of Coral Gables is superb.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The Hyatt Regency Coral Gables is so close to Miami airport, yet located in a charming, Spanish style neighborhood where you can walk to many shops and restaurants. We loved this hotel. Stayed for 3 nights in November. Our room was immaculately clean and very comfortable for 2 people. All the staff members we encountered in the corridors, at the reception and front door were very nice. We did not try the restaurant, room service, bar or pool so I can't comment on those. We chose a room deal that included parking (with unlimited in/out privileges) and that was very convenient for us. We found nearby restaurants for all our meals. There are plenty of food choices on the Miracle Mile and a Starbucks too. We would definitely go back to this friendly and pretty hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables in November. It was nice to see how you wrote about our friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and our charming neighborhood. I hope you are able to come stay with us again.

John S- Guest Relations Associate
San Martino in Rio, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Easy hotel for me sometimes in and out from Miami area. Service is always nice and ready. Lot's of restaurants nearby on and off Miracle Miles. 15 minutes drive from MIA and easy to reach from Dolphin toll road. I've seen better Hyatts of course but this in Miami area is cozy and nice. Nice pool and clean surroundings. Gym must be renovated I think but it's nice also going jogging in the park nearby! I'm often back for a couple of days before flying out back to Italy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel is in a great location one block north of Miracle Mile.
The hotel is very pretty. The service of the hotel could be much improved. I think there is not enough staff. We were at poolside on New Years Day with a gorgeous warm and sunny day. There was no service at the pool and people had to go to Panera bread or other local restaurants to get food or drink. Even the towels ran out. The rooms are large but the beds need replacement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

As locals, we stayed at this hotel because we were attending a New Years Eve wedding nearby. For starters, the service at the bar was horrid, they didn't have anything we chose from the menu available. Whenever we chose an appetizer or something to eat the bartender would say "oh, sorry we're out of that". My husband got sick to his stomach from what he did eat!

The room, is another story all together - the carpet had red stains that looked like old blood. Since we weren't going to be in the room for long (one night) we didn't complain about it at that point. The mattress was very uncomfortable and old and worn and was flat full of stains.

Its truly a shame, the Hyatt REgency used be a great hotel with great service and the room were always well keot and immaculate. As a local and a traveler, I will definetely not recommend this hotel, not even for an overnite stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Greetings Travlr2014,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. We are so happy you chose to stay with us but truly disheartened to hear about the challenges you encountered. I have forwarded your remarks to our executive management to follow up with our food and beverage staff as well as our housekeeping. We hope we are able to welcome you back in the future and we looking forward to speaking with you if you would like to contact our Guest Relations department in regards to this review.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Coral Gables? Share your experiences!