“Almost Great!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gainesville, Florida
“Almost Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is truly a tough commentary for me as my wife and I stay here 10-20 days a year. The staff at all levels, the restaurant, the front desk, bell stand, valet, etc remember us and call us by name. The service is excellent with all staff exhibiting a true and sincere desire to serve and accommodate your wishes. The rub with this property is split between 2 areas, one being the fitness center and the other being the outdated AC units that are now highly inefficient at maintaining low humidity and reasonably efficient temperature control in either hot or cooler weather. We always reserve the Terrace Suite and enjoy the layout but the AC is becoming an issue for us. The second area is the Fitness Center. Granted, very few people are into fitness, but those of us who are have come to expect a little better than what this property has to offer. Namely, the universal gym is outdated, the dumbbells are limited in the weight variety and limited in range. There's only one medium ball for crunches, no foam roller, and the bench is unsafe in its design. I have suggested they put a little love into the fitness center, but alas it is obviously not a priority. Hence, I can only give this property a Very Good rating...sadly!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

It is always difficult to complain as you question whether you are too critical...that said after 28 years of weekly business travel, I know what's acceptable and what is not in a reputable hotel chain. This ranks amongst the worst hotels I have ever stayed in!!!! Our hotel room was piggybacked to the 3 elevators which we heard moving up and down the entire night...but let me not get ahead of myself. From the outside, this hotel is very nice looking, we arrived at around 1pm and were unable to receive a room until almost 4pm. The room is nothing to brag about, std hotel room for over $200/night, elevator noise was HORRIFIC. Check in staff was very friendly but monumentally slow in resolving issues. We only had 3 days at this hotel and I spent most of my second day waiting for a room change. On the bright side, they did upgrade our room, but still horribly noisy as walls, doors, and door gap allows other guests noise to seep into our room. Bed was much better, but furniture and decore is still very dated, bathroom fan is on anytime you turn on the light and it sounds like a jet engine taking off...great for anyone trying to sleep...forget about the late night urine break!!! Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, although it has a nice looking pool, rooms are very average and outdoor jacuzzi is impractical for more than 4 people, even at that it is so shallow it just is not enjoyable. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PROPERTY!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear TPK007:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. We're sorry to hear your stay didn't meet your expectations. I would like to speak with you directly with regards to your comments about the noise issues you experienced. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I'm happy to assist.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Got a one nite for $100+tax on Priceline. Big king room and pool w whirlpool, sauna, and steam room made it a steal for the area. Front desk friendly; Not a $270 per nite deal at anytime/for any reason, just what the market will bear for convention goers. Wifi, parking et al @high price corporate rates.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Montecito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went here on a business trip and it was perfect for just that. For vacation this is not the hotel for you. The first room I checked into was big with a plastic covered Murphy bed. Once I got a nicer room with a real bed it was very comfortable. Beds are great, the restaurant is good the pool is perfect for laps and nicely heated in February. The workout room is very small and it is a $35 cab ride to the beach. The people are good although the front desk could use some better training since I am a Platinum member and asked for an upgrade and a quiet room and got a Murphy bed on the first room and 8 feet from the ice machine on the second. Familiarity with your own hotel is a good training exercise.. Other than that it is a good place for a conference etc. A side note the cuban restaurant around the corner is horrible.called The LAs Vegas. The Chicken was very dry the ropa vieja was stringy and tasteless. I love Cuban food and look forward to having it whenever in Miami. Find another place to eat.

Room Tip: The rooms and bathrooms on the upgrade are quite nice and worth it. Be aware of the ice machine at...
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just got back from a 3 day conference held at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. While an older property, the hotel was an excellent place to hold a conference. All the conference facilities were very close to the lodging. Many different conference room sizes. The food for breakfast and lunch was fresh and plentiful. The staff, conference, front desk and house keeping all went beyond the call of duty, extremely polite and friendly. The hotel was in a great location with many restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. I visit alot of conference locations, and I very much enjoyed the comfort of this property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I really appreciate that you took the time to provide such wonderful feedback in regards to your recent stay at our property. I’m pleased that you found the conference facilities to be excellent. I’ll be sure to share your kind words about the staff and their terrific service with our management team. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Coral Gables in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed in a Terrace Suite for 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables on a recent business trip. Despite a few service blunders, overall the room was spacious, the hotel was well located, and I would return.

The Terrace Suite was almost a one bedroom suite except for the 2 open doorways between the bedroom and living room--with the air/heat controls and vent located in the corner of the living room. To me, a true one bedoom suite has doors completely separating the bedroom from the living room, so this didn't qualify--as was apparent when I had a friend crash with me and sleep in the pullout sofabed in the living room. The outdoor terrace was spacious, but was VERY dirty, both the floor and windows looking like they hadn't been washed in months if not years. The bath was reasonably spacious, though the toilet area didn't have a door to separate it again.

We had a huge service blunder our first morning when the concierge woke us up at 8:30 am Sunday morning, calling to indicate he would deliver us the NY Times. Then he actually knocked on the door and delivered it 10 minutes later. We had a do not disturb sign on the door. I was outraged.

I spoke with a manager who helped rectify the situation, giving me free room service breakfast for the duration of my stay as compensation for the error. She also helped when housekeeping never came to clean the room later that same day.

The hotel is well located for business in downtown Miami or nearby Coconut Grove, without being in the craziness. There are nice restaurants within walking distance. But if you are looking for a tourist locale, this isn't likely to be it.

Overall, I would consider returning to this property were the rate again appropriate for the room/service I received.

Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very nice elegant hotel. Nice big rooms , great service. The staff is very nice and they are willing to help all the time. Rooms are elegant, big and really clean. The hotel is very near the best malls, 15 min from best malls and restaurants. My best experience in Miami.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Rosy32:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel. We greatly appreciate your comments about our nice & helpful employees. Hyatt takes great pride with this, and they will be recognized for their efforts. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Coral Gables? Share your experiences!