“Good food and drinks in a lively setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
201 Miracle Mile, 1300 Blue road, Coral Gables, FL 33134 (Formerly Houston's)
(305) 529-0141
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Estero, Florida
“Good food and drinks in a lively setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Our family enjoyed a late dinner on a Monday night with charming Carlos as our server. It was very busy, with many families and groups of singles, when we arrived at 8:30 pm. As the hostess predicted, it took about 30 minutes to seat our group of six. The drinks were tasty (especially the elderflower and grapefruit collins) and a favorite pinot noir (Belle Glos Clark & Telephone) was available at a value price. The food was flavorful and well-presented (grilled chicken salad, cheeseburger and French dip sandwich earned raves) and dessert (tres leches cake) was a standout. And Carlos did an awesome job!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Santos
“Great lunch and awesome desert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Hillstone is a cool and fancy place. I had a pleasant experience with my family there. The staff was great and as soon as you order the plate does not take long to arrive. We had a starter, and then the main plates and after that the greatest desert ever...Tres Leches cake. I certainly recommend an experience there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Palm City, FL
“Noisy and a weird policy when it comes to beverages but yummy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped by Hillstone last weekend. It was confusing from the outside, as the sign over the door says "Hillstone" but the sign on the door says "Houston's." The waiter explained that the restaurant is still owned by Houston's.

Anyway, my S.O. order a blood mary which came with little or no ice and not one bit of garnish - no celery, no olives, no nothing. The waiter said that's "just how they make them." He brought garnish after it was requested. My water came without ice, too. I guess they are saving on ice.

Anyway, the food was really delicious. I had a French dip that melted in my mouth and was cooked rare, just as I requested. The roll was yummy, too.

My boyfriend loved his meal, too, though I've forgotten now what it was, so the food experience was great.

The only part I really didn't like is how noisy the place is. The high "industrial" ceiling has nothing to absorb sound, and there was little else there to help. I'd probably go back for the food but not for the environment.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Great restaurant in coral gables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I went to Hillstone in Coral gables. The food was excellent and the service phenomenal. My wife had the spicy tuna rolls they were delicious. Also I had the burger along with a draft beer and it was to die for. My wife had the tiny French dip au jus sandwich and it was delicious ( I hate half of it) . Great place to take the wife or significant other.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
coconut grove
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The place is inexplicably crowded and so you'll be rushed. The food is mediocre at best and the service is downright unpleasant. I can't say anything to recommend this place.

• Visited September 2013