“Good Place for People Watching” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
201 Miracle Mile, 1300 Blue road, Coral Gables, FL 33134 (Formerly Houston's)
(305) 529-0141
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Miami, Florida
“Good Place for People Watching”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We used to go and sit on the dining room but everytime we go now we make sure to find places on the bar for people watching. They serve the complete menu on the bar as well. The bar area gets really busy on the weekdays, especially after 5 PM. We enjoy sitting there and watching everybody else around us.

The food is good which does not make it a burden to come back. We have only tried the steaks and ribs. The sushi seemed too Americanized and hence never attracted us and besides Hillstone should be for steaks. But if sushi is your preference then I think it could be good since their other food is always fresh. Their spinach dip and key lime pie are the best I have ever eaten. Service is very good. They are always attentive.

All in all, it is a good experience all around.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bowie, Maryland
“Don't come if you're hungry...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Came here based on a recommendation from the hotel front desk clerk where I was staying. He'd warned me this place was pricier than most, but garunteed I'd have a great experience.

The place is nice: Dim lights, funky / ecclectic background music, a well-trained wait staff who say "My pleasure" when you say Thank You.... The hostess at the front was especially great to interact with - with her slicked back hair, trendy eyeglasses, and warm greeting. Alex (female) was my waitress - and she was prompt, efficient, and checked on me a few times during my meal.

So I like the service. And the people I dealt with. It was the quality and quantity of the food versus the price per plate that I had an issue with.

I ordered the chicken entre' with the creamed corn and home fries on the side, with an amoretto sour and ginger ale. The fries they serve are the string kind (super thin and oily), and the chicken was a three piece set that looked like something I could've cooked in my own kitchen. All in all - not worth the $25 for the chicken entre. My bill came to over $50 when I include the suggested 15% tip... and I ate and drank alone.

In short, come here if you want to impress your date for being a big spender, or if you want to check out the attractive wait / host staff. But avoid this place if you're on a modest per diem like I was, and *especially* if you're hungry!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Expensive, long wait, very good basic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am torn in writing this review.

On the one hand, I despise this place. The wait is ridiculous for what is very unsophisticated food (burgers, unimaginative salads, grilled meats). The service is average (the place is so busy that you can't blame the waiters and it's even worse at the bar). The place is very dark and loud.

On the other hand they have the best veggie burger I have ever had and the best spinach dip I have ever had. So I am giving a very good rating but people need to understand that the food is basic comfort food (almost no creativity) and they could wait 45 minutes for a table at 3:30 pm depending on the day.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
westport
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I've had Hillstone a bunch and it never disappoints. I was truly shocked to find out it is a small chain restaurant with locations all over the country. The food is always delicious, especially the Asian Steak Salad with a peanut sauce dressing. The service is top-notch and clearly very well trained. My only complaints are: 1) there is almost always a wait but the line moves relatively quick and you can normal find a spot at the bar for a cocktail 2) overall the menu is fairly well priced but a few things always strike me as extremely expensive especially in comparison to other things on the menu, ie the sushi.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, Fab service, Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Popped in on a lunchtime during the week with my wife just for a quick beer (it being a hot day and all that!!) and ended up staying for lunch. Sat at the bar (a wonderful large and long bar, perfect for people watching, meeting new friends and catching the full buzz of a restaurant in full swing!) and was greeted with a friendly yet efficient service that recommended drinks. Straight off the bat it was impossible to ignore the great atmosphere of this place, it was only 12:20 and the place was already almost full and by the time we left there was a queue waiting for seat! Having ogled the plates of food being handed out to other diners we decided to give it a go ourselves. I chose the French beef sandwich with gravy dip and my wife chose the sashimi - Simple food, exquisitely delivered.

Definitely coming back