“Don't come if you're hungry...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
201 Miracle Mile, 1300 Blue road, Coral Gables, FL 33134 (Formerly Houston's)
(305) 529-0141
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Bowie, Maryland
“Don't come if you're hungry...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Came here based on a recommendation from the hotel front desk clerk where I was staying. He'd warned me this place was pricier than most, but garunteed I'd have a great experience.

The place is nice: Dim lights, funky / ecclectic background music, a well-trained wait staff who say "My pleasure" when you say Thank You.... The hostess at the front was especially great to interact with - with her slicked back hair, trendy eyeglasses, and warm greeting. Alex (female) was my waitress - and she was prompt, efficient, and checked on me a few times during my meal.

So I like the service. And the people I dealt with. It was the quality and quantity of the food versus the price per plate that I had an issue with.

I ordered the chicken entre' with the creamed corn and home fries on the side, with an amoretto sour and ginger ale. The fries they serve are the string kind (super thin and oily), and the chicken was a three piece set that looked like something I could've cooked in my own kitchen. All in all - not worth the $25 for the chicken entre. My bill came to over $50 when I include the suggested 15% tip... and I ate and drank alone.

In short, come here if you want to impress your date for being a big spender, or if you want to check out the attractive wait / host staff. But avoid this place if you're on a modest per diem like I was, and *especially* if you're hungry!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“Expensive, long wait, very good basic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am torn in writing this review.

On the one hand, I despise this place. The wait is ridiculous for what is very unsophisticated food (burgers, unimaginative salads, grilled meats). The service is average (the place is so busy that you can't blame the waiters and it's even worse at the bar). The place is very dark and loud.

On the other hand they have the best veggie burger I have ever had and the best spinach dip I have ever had. So I am giving a very good rating but people need to understand that the food is basic comfort food (almost no creativity) and they could wait 45 minutes for a table at 3:30 pm depending on the day.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
westport
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I've had Hillstone a bunch and it never disappoints. I was truly shocked to find out it is a small chain restaurant with locations all over the country. The food is always delicious, especially the Asian Steak Salad with a peanut sauce dressing. The service is top-notch and clearly very well trained. My only complaints are: 1) there is almost always a wait but the line moves relatively quick and you can normal find a spot at the bar for a cocktail 2) overall the menu is fairly well priced but a few things always strike me as extremely expensive especially in comparison to other things on the menu, ie the sushi.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, Fab service, Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Popped in on a lunchtime during the week with my wife just for a quick beer (it being a hot day and all that!!) and ended up staying for lunch. Sat at the bar (a wonderful large and long bar, perfect for people watching, meeting new friends and catching the full buzz of a restaurant in full swing!) and was greeted with a friendly yet efficient service that recommended drinks. Straight off the bat it was impossible to ignore the great atmosphere of this place, it was only 12:20 and the place was already almost full and by the time we left there was a queue waiting for seat! Having ogled the plates of food being handed out to other diners we decided to give it a go ourselves. I chose the French beef sandwich with gravy dip and my wife chose the sashimi - Simple food, exquisitely delivered.

Definitely coming back

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
south miami, florida
“A Treat for Mother's Day !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Being taken out by my family for Mother's Day, a treat! My first choices, Yuga and Christy's in the Gables, both closed. Strange...None of the four of us had eaten at Hillstone so we decided to try it. A 20ish minute wait. Not bad. Sat at a very little bar-area table, ordered drinks and asked how we'll know when our table is ready.. and was told they note and remember where everyone is sitting and will come to you to lead you to your dinner table. It worked!

So nice to have truly lovely service from everyone, from the hostess to the several servers. Appetizers, dinners were excellent. We all shared an Asian steak salad resembling a small mountain, a couple fresh yummy and not the usual tempura fried coconut shrimp hosomaki rolls that came with an excellent remoulade dip as well as a spicy mayo dip. We nibbled on soft and cheesy bread slices, a very fresh tasting Cesar salad, an excellent well seasoned prime rib and a tremendous excellent veggie burger. Finished with one nice sized very creamy piece of Key Lime pie with four forks. A little pricy but lovely, good value, pleasant atmosphere Noisy when we walked in but after that we had no trouble talking to each other at our very comfortable booth.. Would like to go back and sample other noms.

• Visited May 2012